“Scouting” Ms. Bueckers | The Boneyard

“Scouting” Ms. Bueckers

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have been watching some YouTube videos of Paige in action. She’s clearly a standout player. My question is this: Given that the competition is pretty weak (or she makes them look like they are), what are the things that an experienced coach would see in those videos that make her the top PG in the country? For all the games I watched in my years on the air, I was far better at describing action than I was doing any deep analysis of it. So, my friends, please help me out. What do you see in her game?

Reaction Score
Her court vision is off the hook, and she has good size for her position, she’s also a proven winner and has won at both the high school and USA b level. I’m not sure she’s better then Fudd, but she’s without a doubt the top player in the 2020 class.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I like the way she delivers the ball always in the right spot at the right time to her team mates. That is the major responsibility of a PG, knowing how and where each of her team mates need the ball to be effective. She can make the easy pass easy, or the tough pass look easy. She can make that arcing long pass or that hard long pass, and is accurate with either hand or both. She can be flashy or direct. Her shot has a nice form and a nice release. There no hitch in her shot. When she dribbles the ball seems to be on a string. She's in control, knows when to penetrate, how to either dribble through or slither past opponents, and has a sweetsick crossover. I mean, it's not Shammgod like, but it's nice. She has incredible deception off of her dribble and her head is always up, and as mentioned, her court vision is as good as anyone. She has a swagger to her game yet she is the consummate team player. That's rare. If you take away one part of her game she'll kill you with another. She can shoot the 3, the midrange, can finish on either side with either hand. She's a gym rat, and that's an understatement. She's a big talker on the court. Not a trash talker, a communicator. She's all team, all the time. She just doesn't give in, no matter the score. But what's her greatest asset? Her enthusiasm for the game, her love of the sport. That means she's coachable and takes criticism constructively. Her only weaknesses at this time is consistency in the midrange shot, her upper body and core strength, and her defense, all improvable. She's nice man.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I have much to add, but I would underscore court vision, ability to deliver the ball to the right spot at the right time, good mechanics and fundamentals, a joy for the game, high IQ, fearlessness, and determination.

Reaction Score
Will she be a PG here, or a shooting guard? If PG, what about those other PGs who were 'must get' according to many here.

HGN

Reaction Score
Will she be a PG here, or a shooting guard? If PG, what about those other PGs who were 'must get' according to many here.
We got the "must get" of the must gets......Perhaps there are a few other " would like to haves" out there but make no mistake, the " Must Get" is in the house.

Reaction Score
Often when the ball leaves her hands she spins it in a way that allows it to carom off the glass with greater likelihood of dropping through the hoop. Maravich was famous for the way he did this. And she likes behind-the-back passing. How this translates in big-time D-1 is probably an open, even irrelevant observation at the moment. But she definitely has ‘tude and swagger.

Reaction Score
While the youtube videos may be against "pretty weak competition" her game has of course been evaluated against higher quality competitors.

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile floor-leader with poised floor game, scorer's mentality; crafty off the dribble, sets up teammates, distributes with unselfish persona; mid-range creator moves to the arc; among the elite prospects in the class of 2020. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2017: Confident combo-guard with a dose of swagger; manufactures, delivers consistently off the dribble; quick off the bounce, breaks down defenders; keeps the defense honest to the arc. (Olson)

Reaction Score
I don't know how to evaluate her skills like most of you.... but after watching some videos.... this girl is really really really good. I only have one bit of advice for her and that is hit the weight room. Did I say she was really really really good.

Reaction Score
Besides being gifted with abilities to shoot and pass well, she's an even better teammate. She Keeps everyone involved with her unselfish play and she is genuinely excited for teammates when they do well. That is a great leadership skill to have and I think it is the very reason Fudd or any other PG can Coexist with Paige. IMO Paige is more Combo than she is pure PG. She often plays off the ball with her high school team and she also did it while playing for Team USA 17's. If she were to pair with Fudd it would be perfect world because you would have two Combo guards capable of handling the ball and taking pressure off one another.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We got the "must get" of the must gets.Perhaps there are a few other " would like to haves" out there but make no mistake, the " Must Get" is in the house.

giphy.gif

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Often when the ball leaves her hands she spins it in a way that allows it to carom off the glass with greater likelihood of dropping through the hoop. Maravich was famous for the way he did this. And she likes behind-the-back passing. How this translates in big-time D-1 is probably an open, even irrelevant observation at the moment. But she definitely has ‘tude and swagger.
Maybe she can show Meg a few things about spin of the glass since I've been complaining for some time now that Meg frequently uses to much or too little spin on her layups.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the things Geno looks for is a “high motor.” Paige never slows down at either end of the court. In that facet she is a little like Mo or Crystal.

HGN

Reaction Score

Here's Paige's AAU team versus Azzi's for a look against better talent.

Thanks Argo.....That clip just convinced me further that I would love to have those two (Bueckers and Fudd) play together at UCONN. Both are extremely skilled and smooth as silk. Either can play the 1 or 2. I know it's wishful thinking but a man can dream can't he?

Reaction Score
In Auriemma's offense she has the skills to be whatever he needs her to be. There's no need for position designations. All but big post type players can be interchangeable utilizing specific skill or size advantages.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Here's Paige's AAU team versus Azzi's for a look against better talent.

My daughter's AAU teammate played for a rival high school. Their games against each other were a blast. They went at each other hard and each made play after play. Just bumped into the other girl's parents and we laughed about it. Their daughter looked forward to those games as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As for the level of play she faced, her HS team ended up ranked about 15th in the country despite Minn's ban on teams travelling out of state. Her position is 1-3 right now. And UConn is the perfect place for her versatility because she'll find herself all over the court at both ends. Geno, unless he has an AA post, plays positionless offense and even defense. Her tools are impeccable.

But wait, there's more!

Like her attitude. Like Williams she is the most pleasant and social person you could meet and talk to. Always positive and even playful. But on the court she is an assassin. This is no innocent, shrinking violet, who will be intimidated in summer pickup games. I've been watching her for 2 years and never once saw her walk on the court without that swagger that says "I'm the best player out here". Never seen her blink. Her game is to be the aggressor at both ends of the court and yet despite it sounding odd, she does it within the team concept. I've seen her take over games a couple of times but mostly she is looking for her team mates. She will be a leader on the team from day one. A second coach on the floor type. From day one. And this was plain in the U17 games. As the competition improved her game got better.

UConn fans are blessed. Many know that now and the rest will in a year and a half. And I am overjoyed because I would follow her regardless and the thought of rooting for ND or Tenn made me gag. ;)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She has incredible deception off of her dribble and her head is always up, and as mentioned, her court vision is as good as anyone.

This, more than anything else, stands out for me in her floor game. And her body and ball control around the rim is very, very extraordinary.

Reaction Score
First time I was impressed with her as a teammate (I was impressed by the videos we saw of her from before) was on the U16 team. She was not starting but she was clearly happy and encouraging her teammates non stop. In the 3x3 tournament last year she looked to me like the clear leader (even as Boston and Sam B.) are older.

Reaction Score
I like the way she delivers the ball always in the right spot at the right time to her team mates. That is the major responsibility of a PG, knowing how and where each of her team mates need the ball to be effective. She can make the easy pass easy, or the tough pass look easy. She can make that arcing long pass or that hard long pass, and is accurate with either hand or both. She can be flashy or direct. Her shot has a nice form and a nice release. There no hitch in her shot. When she dribbles the ball seems to be on a string. She's in control, knows when to penetrate, how to either dribble through or slither past opponents, and has a sweetsick crossover. I'm mean, it's not Shammgod like, but it's nice. She has incredible deception off of her dribble and her head is always up, and as mentioned, her court vision is as good as anyone. She has a swagger to her game yet she is the consummate team player. That's rare. If you take away one part of her game she'll kill you with another. She can shoot the 3, the midrange, can finish on either side with either hand. She's a gym rat, and that's an understatement. She's a big talker on the court. Not a trash talker, a communicator. She's all team, all the time. She just doesn't give in, no matter the score. But what's her greatest asset? Her enthusiasm for the game, her love of the sport. That means she's coachable and takes criticism constructively. Her only weaknesses at this time is consistency in the midrange shot, her upper body and core strength, and her defense, all improvable. She's nice man.

Really nice analytical take apart of her game. Geno in the past would choose a player with a winning back around over those good but not from winning teams. He too likes Gym Rats--some have been great and some not so great, if they are coach-able and has a grasp of Fundamentals that is his favorite player. She'll do great at UConn. Uconn is a guards school. He'll make a great one much better.

Reaction Score
I like the way she delivers the ball always in the right spot at the right time to her team mates. That is the major responsibility of a PG, knowing how and where each of her team mates need the ball to be effective. She can make the easy pass easy, or the tough pass look easy. She can make that arcing long pass or that hard long pass, and is accurate with either hand or both. She can be flashy or direct. Her shot has a nice form and a nice release. There no hitch in her shot. When she dribbles the ball seems to be on a string. She's in control, knows when to penetrate, how to either dribble through or slither past opponents, and has a sweetsick crossover. I mean, it's not Shammgod like, but it's nice. She has incredible deception off of her dribble and her head is always up, and as mentioned, her court vision is as good as anyone. She has a swagger to her game yet she is the consummate team player. That's rare. If you take away one part of her game she'll kill you with another. She can shoot the 3, the midrange, can finish on either side with either hand. She's a gym rat, and that's an understatement. She's a big talker on the court. Not a trash talker, a communicator. She's all team, all the time. She just doesn't give in, no matter the score. But what's her greatest asset? Her enthusiasm for the game, her love of the sport. That means she's coachable and takes criticism constructively. Her only weaknesses at this time is consistency in the midrange shot, her upper body and core strength, and her defense, all improvable. She's nice man.

Good answer. AND she really, really wants to come to UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom