“Saturday doesn’t matter” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Saturday doesn’t matter”

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of a question to auriemma during one of his undefeated runs in the regular season.
The reporter asked if he would prefer a loss to take the pressure off
auriemma immediately said something like “NO, the point of playing is to win every game.”

Reaction Score
Downplaying this game at all is ridiculous. It’s a huge game to figure out exactly where this team stands. We know the Huskies seem to be on the path which is more in line with their 14-0 start right?

Well now prove it, go into Philly and flex some muscle against a team that is also playing really well. It’s Nova, it’s the last game, it’s seeding, it’s the biggest one of the year as we speak.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes agreed that his main point was don’t freak out. Thought I heard a little bit of doesn’t matter tones though. Was certainly the secondary point not the main.
Why freak out over a basketball game? Disappointment, yes. This is one tough league with few gimme wins for anyone. Nova barely escaped Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, go in and ruin senior night for the guys who have been torturing us for years

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
In 2014 we lost the last game we played by 30 points and then proceeded to win the national championship.

Of course you’d prefer to win every game you play, have momentum going into the post season, etc. But does it really matter what happens today? Probably not. It’s one data point of over 30. We’re already in the dance and at a high seed at that. Everything else at this point is gravy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This game matters.

Not because landing a better seed in the NCAA tournament would be that important.

Not because we are hoping to be labelled home team in the 4-5 matchup in the BET.

Not because it would hurt Nova a lot more than it would help us.

Not for anything that matters prior to postseason other than this:

With a win tonight we will then have demonstrated that we can take things seriously enough, that we can be focused and determined enough to be a legitimate threat in both upcoming tournaments. We need this win.

Reaction Score
The playoffs, the post season, tourney season, call it what you want, UConn's tourney season begins tonight as far as I'm concerned. Getting the upper hand on the Big East pest that is Villanova will go a long way as far as momentum goes and confidence goes. Bring it on.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I want us to win out. Any loss probably keeps us on the 4 line. If we can get to the 3 and possibly the 2 line our odds of winning the title increase dramatically.

Reaction Score
Downplaying this game at all is ridiculous. It’s a huge game to figure out exactly where this team stands. We know the Huskies seem to be on the path which is more in line with their 14-0 start right?

Well now prove it, go into Philly and flex some muscle against a team that is also playing really well. It’s Nova, it’s the last game, it’s seeding, it’s the biggest one of the year as we speak.
This.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Simply, it doesn't matter for NBE seedings
However, it does matter in reference to NCAA seedings
Which is more important?
To me, it's NCAA because the higher UConn can get the likely hood of facing a less capable team in Round 1 and hopefully a victory. But with D1 college basketball being so vanilla this season, who knows?
Finally, all wins are imortant

Reaction Score
I want us to win out. Any loss probably keeps us on the 4 line. If we can get to the 3 and possibly the 2 line our odds of winning the title increase dramatically.
We will be anywhere from a 2 to 5 seed in ncaa tourney. We win tonight and win the big east we are a 2 seed most likely. We drop an L tonight and first round of big east tourney , we are a 5 seed. Anything in between we are a 3 or a 4. Simple —- And btw, nova Wins tonight and gets to big east final- They are probably in. That Teams on fire right now and 4 more wins probably adds 3 more ranked teams they wud have beat plus the injury factor earlier in the year , plus historically nova is a good tourney team etc…. They are in — If they lose tonight they probably have to win BET

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
This is all we need to know about the importance of seeding and how much our odds improve by getting a 2 or 3 seed.

Reaction Score
Heard that a few times since Wednesday and it’s getting under my skin. WT#! It’s UConn, every game matters. Lose and you’re heading into the BE Tournament with less momentum. Stay healthy and win Saturday.
It matters.

It affects seeding.

Reaction Score
SEEDNUMBER OF CHAMPSPERCENTAGE OF CHAMPS
12465%
2514%
3411%
413%
500%
613%
713%
813%
what this shows is ncaa selection committee typically gets it right.

Top 12 is where you want to be. Too many upsets in the 4-13 and down space .

Reaction Score
Numerous media people have been saying this. From a BET standing perspective, yeah sure it doesn't matter if we get a 4 or 5 seed since they play each other...But we are still fighting for a 3/4 seed in the East regional. Every game matters. Our guys understand that, the media people are just dumb
I'm long shot rooting for a West seed, possibly a 2 if cards fall our way, 3 great and west treats us well. Alabama win looking bigger and better all the time. Could be a seeding tie breaker.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Meh.

You do realize that there is essentially no difference between being a four seed and being a five seed?
I wouldn't go as far to call it "essentially no difference". I'd always much rather play a 13 seed than a 12 seed. There's a decent dropoff in quality between a 12 and 13 seed, a lot of the time.

There are a higher percentage of 12/5 upsets (as we learned the hard way last season). Also, there's a chance we'd get one of those bubble Big 12 teams that pops out of the 12 seed first four matchup. I personally want nothing to do with that, if we have the ability to play a Utah Valley or Toledo instead. 13 seeds are almost always mid major AQs (I believe). 12 seeds aren't always that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom