“It’s a collision course. This is how it’s always had to be” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

“It’s a collision course. This is how it’s always had to be”

Reaction Score
He's just got to play disciplined and realize.. making Edey work for 25 points all game and not fouling is betting that trying to shut him out and wind up on the bench in foul trouble and watch Edey put up 25 in the first half. We don't need to shut out Edey.. just make his life miserable and then make him run up and down the court and take those legs away. Tired legs struggle shooting.
It'll also help if the refs don't hang phantom fouls around DC's neck, like the one last night when he grabbed that rebound cleanly and the ref called over the back. It's troubling that they assumed it was a foul when DC was able to grab the ball without any contact, presumably because most players would wind up fouling if they tried something like that. I get the sense Edey doesn't get tagged with those kinds of fouls, not to mention the amount of contact he's allowed to initiate driving to the basket.

Anyway, Clingan might need to be conservative about chasing contested rebounds, at least in the first half. It matters more to have him out there for the whole game than it does to add two points to the ledger 10 or 12 minutes into the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree. Is he going to be able to play 40 minutes and chase our center up the floor?
On 30% of our offensive possessions Edey wont make it to the midcourt line.

Reaction Score
It'll also help if the refs don't hang phantom fouls around DC's neck, like the one last night when he grabbed that rebound cleanly and the ref called over the back. It's troubling that they assumed it was a foul when DC was able to grab the ball without any contact, presumably because most players would wind up fouling if they tried something like that. I get the sense Edey doesn't get tagged with those kinds of fouls, not to mention the amount of contact he's allowed to initiate driving to the basket.

Anyway, Clingan might need to be conservative about chasing contested rebounds, at least in the first half. It matters more to have him out there for the whole game than it does to add two points to the ledger 10 or 12 minutes into the game.
This tells me that refs call what they think and expect not actually see. Disgraceful.

Reaction Score
Edey scored 40 vs Tennessee and it was still close.
Which should tell you all you need to know about Purdue. I dont care about Edey as hes going to have his hands full with Clingan especially if the refs dont muck it up. The thing that matters most is Loyer and Smith. Lock them up and its game over.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doom-Stooge.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Danny will speed up the game and turn over Purdue. Purdue have not seen a team with the athleticism and size blend UConn has.
I've heard Painter say 3 times that he is most worried about not turning over the ball.

11 or more turnovers mark all Purdue losses.

Reaction Score
That’s going to be a huge factor in this game. Edey is their #1 offensive player and will have the ball in his hands often and will likely take the most shots. Clingan has definitely improved quite a bit at keeping the fouls down but anyone guarding Edey is in danger of fouling out early. He averages 32 minutes a game but just played 40 we are going to need our big guy to play more minutes than he has all year.
North Carolina State stole the ball from ZE multiple times by doubling down and slapping the ball out of his hands after he catches the ball. We are capable of doing the same thing. Sure our coaches have noticed that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Defensive glass, keep him off the foul line. Edey draws over 9 fouls per game. Need to cut that in half and assume Johnson is good for at least 2. Do that and we win by 20.

Reaction Score
I was a bit encouraged by the officiating in the Purdue NC State game, Burns first foul was an obvious dumb foul, he gets through first half with 1 foul instead of 2 if not for that foul.

Reaction Score
I hope the refs swallow their whistles for both teams and let the players decide the game. We're not watching for the refs to foul out the stars.

Reaction Score
I agree. Is he going to be able to play 40 minutes and chase our center up the floor?
Yep, we saw NC State get under him & bother Edey a little bit, but DJ was the one who ran out of gas in that matchup as the less athletic guy. For two years now UConn has been wearing out other teams by bringing just as fast and good players off the bench. Samson isn't Clingan on strength, but UConn will likely employ a much more swarming defense when SJ is in while still running Edey up and down the floor, in and around offensive movement. Goal is break him down play by play, confuse him, mix up defenses, doubles and Edey is confused and tired that last 10 minutes that are Husky time.

Reaction Score
Make Eady have to chase Clingan and Samson end to end all game long and dude will most certainly not be playing 40 min this time

Reaction Score
I've heard Painter say 3 times that he is most worried about not turning over the ball.

11 or more turnovers mark all Purdue losses.
Hopefully Purdue turns it over. However, UConn's defense isn't geared towards creating turnovers, but that doesn't mean they can't make that switch. Look at the Creighton game in Gampel earlier this year-that was defensive gem where they had a vice grip chokehold on Creighton's offense and they forced a lot of turnovers.

Reaction Score
The thing with Clingan is he has to be ok being scored on once in a while. They may run some good stuff for Edey where he gets position too deep to really challenge him, and knowing when to just let those go Is important.

I’m also sort of worried about the second effort plays - a blocked shot the first time but he gets it right back and the adrenaline is going so he goes after it when not in position. or a rebound battle that Edey wins and Clingan‘s immediate instinct is to try to block the putback.

Reaction Score
Purdue has players at every position that thrive on people underestimating them. Their guards are smart and know how to find space after the dump to Edey. They are the most efficient 3 point shooting team in the country because they get a lot of open ones.
Kauffman-Renn and Gillis when off the bench will be a hand full for Karaban and Stewart as well, both very strong 4s.
Gonna be a tough battle across the board.

I agree. I’m not so sure this game will be as much decided by the big men as expected. If Edey and Clingan both get in foul trouble—which is the refs easy answer to accusations of babying Edey, victory may ultimately hinge on guard play. Loyer is very capable of a big night even if Smith is still struggling. Jones is dangerous and Painter won’t hesitate to use Gillis, Colvin and Hyde —who can all light it up. This game may turn on what we feared most on Saturday from Alabama—a barrage of made threes. Our guards will need to respond in kind.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Edey has had a problem this tournament of having the ball swiped when he dribbles or brings it down low - UConn needs pesky but smart hands.
The key will be; can UConn tire Edey out? To do so they need to run.
Edey may average 35 minutes a game but not at a UConn pace.
Of course, the refs can't be calling every touch foul on DC.
The best thing is that UConn 1-4 are much better than Purdue 1-4
That's why UConn wins in it's usual way.

Reaction Score
Utter domination. Made them look like frauds.
It really was Clingan. He made Edey work and mostly wasn't in foul trouble until it didn't matter. If we went into this game with a different center, we lose. Edey would just have gotten too many of our dudes in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
They had 9 turnovers, they are a very good team, and Edey is a tremendous player. Now….we are quite possibly the best college basketball team overall in history. Combination of incredible D and the most amazing offense we’ve ever seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom