“Every position on this team has been up for grabs the last two days” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Every position on this team has been up for grabs the last two days”

Reaction Score
The D has been very passive so far. Love this idea, we certainly have the depth. (Although a couple guys need to learn how to keep their man in fron of them).
Yeah but lots of fouls. Ridiculous number in first half.

Reaction Score
So why wasn't this the mentality of the staff from practice #1?

Set the tone immediately that no one has earned a minute of PT.

It was. They had decided on two, maybe three, guys that had earned it and then practices stopped and, essentially, so did the competition. They had to punt and put out guys with experience so you don’t end up losing to Central Connecticut or Hartford. The last few days were a reminder that a start in those two was not necessarily earned, so don’t get too comfortable or discouraged. That’s all.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is not a Calhoun/Hurley comparison but I remember in Voskuhl's freshman year, they stunk it up at the Civic Center against a much lesser opponent. When they got back to Gampel, Calhoun told them to get out on the floor and he practiced them that night. Voskuhl wanted to transfer out after that night.

I have always been of the school of thought that hard practices build tougher teams. You have to know how and when to press the gas, but I really believe that day to day intensity forges a will and an attitude. I loved seeing these quotes and, with the depth on this team, I would imagine this year will have some epic practices.
Calhoun always used this type of motivation. There was one player, that skips my mind, who he benched due to lack of competitiveness in practice who was like a #1 or 2 option at the time. He would also call timeouts early and substitute every player on the floor lol.

Reaction Score
God I love this coach
Agree, pretty much the JC style with out the ----bombs. ;)
i think hurley's said more positive things about Martin than anyone else during the first week of the season
That's his man from RI and he knows how to make DH happy, thus use the example. Good size, ability and older than many of the team he came into. Obviously if he has success here he was under recruited and will do every thing in his power to prove himself and Dan for seeing and believing in his talent. That and at his age (21) a good influence for some of the young (I won't say dumb) but mistake prone.
A 6'6" guard that can play D and rebound .... As a coach I would be talking about also.

Reaction Score
These comments follow and mesh perfectly with what he said post-game after UHart:

"There's a standard at the defensive end you've got to uphold, a standard of toughness you've got to uphold if you're gonna play for me, on the backboard, as a teammate, as a guy that's not hunting shots."

"There were things in the first couple games we didn't feel good about."

"Practice has been a cauldron of intensity because of the last 22 minutes of UHart game."

"We've had a revolving door of players with guys going form the 1st team to the 2nd team."

"So every position on the team is up for grabs."

"Sending a message that we need to be a much tougher team and that starts tomorrow night."

Reaction Score
Calhoun started every year saying that Justin Brown was the leader for starter at center. Don't know if it applies. But coaches say all kinds of things. You can tell what they really think by watching the games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also a pretty good way to get your team injured. Also there's NCAA rules against it. You can't get away with that stuff any more.

Don't get me wrong, I love Calhoun. But that wasn't what made him a great coach.

But yeah. Tough practices make tough teams. I think one of the reasons the UConn women have been so dominant is the level of practice player they've been able to get in the gym. When I was playing D2 (and never saw the court because I'm terrible) I often had to fill in and help the women's team practice because they couldn't get ANYONE to play with them.
The famous story of Calhoun being furious after a game and wanting to hold a practice immediately after it comes to mind. He was told that he he couldn't hold a practice the same day, so he kept the team in the gym until midnight and then had them practice.

I think that Calhoun's success was less due to "tough practices" though that certainly played a role, and more "holding players accountable." The tough practices were just a way to do that.

Speaking of tough practices and Geno, his players often say that games are easier than his practices. He routinely puts them in no win situations (playing 5 on 6 etc.) and keeps them going until they succeed.

Reaction Score
The famous story of Calhoun being furious after a game and wanting to hold a practice immediately after it comes to mind. He was told that he he couldn't hold a practice the same day, so he kept the team in the gym until midnight and then had them practice.

I think that Calhoun's success was less due to "tough practices" though that certainly played a role, and more "holding players accountable." The tough practices were just a way to do that.

Speaking of tough practices and Geno, his players often say that games are easier than his practices. He routinely puts them in no win situations (playing 5 on 6 etc.) and keeps them going until they succeed.

Overmatched defensive games are the best way you learn to play. You can talk about rotations all you want, go over film, etc. but at some point these kids just need to learn to have a "sixth sense" for where to rotate in your defense. Making it so they constantly have to rotate by playing 4 on 5, 5 on 6, whatever... is the best way to do that sometimes.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This is not a Calhoun/Hurley comparison but I remember in Voskuhl's freshman year, they stunk it up at the Civic Center against a much lesser opponent. When they got back to Gampel, Calhoun told them to get out on the floor and he practiced them that night. Voskuhl wanted to transfer out after that night.

I have always been of the school of thought that hard practices build tougher teams. You have to know how and when to press the gas, but I really believe that day to day intensity forges a will and an attitude. I loved seeing these quotes and, with the depth on this team, I would imagine this year will have some epic practices.
Winning teams know when winning time is

Reaction Score
Is the head coaching position open also, seems that position had something to do with how the team performed against Hartford. Maybe a little "game day head coach like Kevin Freeman" to give the boys a little "toughness".

Reaction Score
I'd still call his bluff if we were playing poker.

Whaley and Bouk are set and Gaffney as well. He really is only working with 2 jokers.

Reaction Score
The D has been very passive so far. Love this idea, we certainly have the depth. (Although a couple guys need to learn how to keep their man in fron of them).
Not likely unless it is a “soft” pressure. Players who hope to compete at the next level simply don’t wan to run serious pressure all game. It is too difficult and adds nothing to their draft stock. The days of the Georgetown press, Arkansas 40 minutes of hell, even the UConn pressure of the early Jim Calhoun years are a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
It was. They had decided on two, maybe three, guys that had earned it and then practices stopped and, essentially, so did the competition. They had to punt and put out guys with experience so you don’t end up losing to Central Connecticut or Hartford. The last few days were a reminder that a start in those two was not necessarily earned, so don’t get too comfortable or discouraged. That’s all.
Also a lot of this is just coach speak. Bouknight could hang a hammock from the hoop and spend practice snoring and when they announce the starting lineup he will be in it. After 2 what could charitably be called mediocre performances against low mid majors Hurley’s comments were straight from Coaching for Dummies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Note the #slimjosh cameo. Look for him to have a break out game tonight!

Great observation. Casual fans would gloss over these subtle hints.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom