‘There’s just something special about her’: Lou Lopez Sénéchal showed why she belongs on the big stage in UConn’s win over Tennessee | The Boneyard

‘There’s just something special about her’: Lou Lopez Sénéchal showed why she belongs on the big stage in UConn’s win over Tennessee

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Before:
"When Geno Auriemma saw Lou Lopez Sénéchal play on film once she entered the transfer portal this past spring, the UConn women’s basketball coach thought: “She could probably fit in. It’s not like she has to come in here and be a star.”
Little Late:
“Two weeks after she got here I thought, ‘Oh man. I don’t know, whoever thought they were starting before Lou got here better get used to they’re not,’” Auriemma said.
After:
“Lou’s Lou, man,” Auriemma said. “She’s not gonna get any All-American votes, but I don’t know anybody that’s been more important to any team in America than she’s been to us.”

Reaction Score
She is now a first round WNBA pick. She is just too effective to be ignored.

Get Fudd back and UConn can win it all. A great point guard in Muhl with zero fear, an improving 6”5 player in Juhasz who can shoot, a lock down defender with track and field speed in Griffin (who can now shoot), and a now world class big in Edwards, and a calm player with a killer instinct like Senechal, they can take on South Carolina or Stanford. No injuries!

Reaction Score
Well said. Big games or Big moments reveal a lot about a team or player. Lou, every game this season, and from a few games that were on YouTube from her Fairfield days, not only plays well every game but she plays even better the bigger the game or match-up. She is not afraid of the big moment and that is what makes her extra special. She is already an awesome player but watching her play, she plays within the team concept. She gets her shots within the flow of the game action. She isn't forcing shots. Not a ball hog. She has a really high basketball IQ and we are lucky to have this talented young lady rocking the UConn uniform. Way to go, Lou!!

Reaction Score
She is now a first round WNBA pick. She is just too effective to be ignored.

Get Fudd back and UConn can win it all. A great point guard in Muhl with zero fear, an improving 6”5 player in Juhasz who can shoot, a lock down defender with track and field speed in Griffin (who can now shoot), and a now world class big in Edwards, and a calm player with a killer instinct like Senechal, they can take on South Carolina or Stanford. No injuries!
I could see Lou doing very well in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I could see Lou doing very well in the WNBA.
Me too. Not only is she a great shooter, but she can create her own shot off the dribble which is critical in the WNBA. She's got just enough height and toughness to handle the physical play. She probably needs to bulk up a bit and build her strength, but she should go in the late 1st round.

Reaction Score
Geno's praise was as effusive as I have ever heard from him about a player.
"She is a pro about everything she does". (and an adult.)
Bringing her here was maybe one of the smartestmoves he has ever made.
As a fellow Fairfield grad, I couldn't be any more proud.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Lou is a complete guard. As we know, she can get her spot and drain the 3 consistently. She is equally deadly with her mid range shot. And she can drive the lane.

She is 24 years old. She is mature and intelligent and humble. We are so blessed to have her wear the UConn jersey, if only for one year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Lou is Silky Smooth. Plays with confidence and is clutch. She is not afraid of the big moment in the game. I can only imagine when Azzi gets back how good UConn will be. Azzi and Lou thats gonna be special

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She chose to come to UConn to get help improving her game (to improve her WNBA draft stock) and make a name for herself. She's done that. ;)

Before this year, nobody knew who Lou Lopez-Senechal was. Even WE didn't know who she was, and she was playing in our own backyard right under our noses. :eek: They know now!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Lou is Silky Smooth. Plays with confidence and is clutch. She is not afraid of the big moment in the game. I can only imagine when Azzi gets back how good UConn will be. Azzi and Lou thats gonna be special
That's key Tony. She's not a magician!! She shows up and plays BIG in BIG games. WNBA coaches and GM's like that. ;) The fact that she played for Geno for a year won't hurt her either. UConn grads (players) are highly sought after in the W. WNBA coaches love players that can get their own shots. Lou will be great at the next level.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Impossible not to think about what the preseason prognosticators wrote about Lou. Charlie Creme entire "discussion" of UConn was to ask questions, included among them:

Will Lou Lopez-Senechal's game translate from the MAAC to the national stage?

Remember Missy Heidrick's preseason Top 25 when she placed UConn at #19 just above [checks notes] Nebraska? She talked a lot about transfers and had this to say about Lou:

Anywho, I'm thrilled we have Lou.

Reaction Score
Lou developed her "Go-to" scoring skills while at Fairfield because of their limited offensive options. She needed to take 20+ shots a game if Fairfield was going to win. Since , no player gets 20 open looks from the 3 line, she developed a mid-range pull up game, running shots and could finish at the rim. The complete offensive package. (plus 90% from the foul line).
Most of our number#1 HS recruits come into Uconn and put those "go-to" skills on the back burner as they defer to AA upperclassmen, and rightfully so.
Lou has taken advantage of an injury riddled line-up to showcase what she is capable of. Amazing to watch, unique for us Uconn fans

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Question: Does Lou get NIL money for this?

1674927501864.png

Reaction Score
This is a great example of why I find the All-American selection process so flawed. How could a player who is averaging 17+ ppg while shooting 50/50/90, and also (along with Aaliyah) carrying the primary scoring load for a top 4 team (UConn, no less) not be in consideration? Perhaps Geno was overstating her anonymity? Is there any other player in the country with better stats? Surely not many? It often seems as though reputation, ranking, name recognition, and previous history trumps actual performance. Not saying she has to be selected but surely she should be in the conversation?

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Impossible not to think about what the preseason prognosticators wrote about Lou. Charlie Creme entire "discussion" of UConn was to ask questions, included among them:

Will Lou Lopez-Senechal's game translate from the MAAC to the national stage?

Remember Missy Heidrick's preseason Top 25 when she placed UConn at #19 just above [checks notes] Nebraska? She talked a lot about transfers and had this to say about Lou:

Anywho, I'm thrilled we have Lou.
Nan, Those articles and preseason perceptions and observations just show they don't know what they're talking about. Admittedly, none of us knew Lou would be this good. Heidrick completely missed me with her ranking UConn at #19. THAT right there told me she had no clue of the landscape, and shot whatever credibility she may have had to hell. I don't want to hear from her anymore.

We saw how some of those highly-ranked teams in the preseason fell like a rock once the season began. Two top 10 teams (Texas and Tennessee fell completely out of the top 25 by week 5. You and UConnCat kept telling us that those preseason rankings are not worth the paper they were written on, or the time it took to compose them. Preseason rankings are nothing more than clickbait. "Mature" posters in the Boneyard know that!! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom