‘Super stubborn’ James Bouknight retrospective on rookie season with Hornets (Charlotte Observer) | The Boneyard

‘Super stubborn’ James Bouknight retrospective on rookie season with Hornets (Charlotte Observer)

Reaction Score
Definitely disappointing that a 3rd team on the year 33 year old Isaiah Thomas got as many shot attempts up with the hornets as their lottery pick did this year. Part of the NBA is 'playing the game' but I do think its got to be hard not to be 'stubborn' if thats the situation you are in.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the correlation of people upset with Hurley's performance is compared to people upset with Bouknight's path?

It's like we can't comprehend that if you are not the 1% of the 1%, earning your place takes time.

Super excited to watch James in Charlotte next year. Cody Martin isn't their long term plan.

Reaction Score
Congrats to the Hornets for just barely making the playoffs and getting immediately bounced. It's the kind of failure that is typical of their entire existence. So sad.
Hmmm, I wonder if there were other teams that kept their younger players on the bench and played their veterans all year, just to get bounced in the first round?

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I wonder if there were other teams that kept their younger players on the bench and played their veterans all year, just to get bounced in the first round?
See 76ers, Philadelphia. Every single year.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful Bouknight figures it out but he is gonna have to play defense if he wants to play in the NBA. I do think that he should have played more but he has to understand that in the NBA he does not have the talent to coast on defense

Reaction Score
Sounds like James is maturing. I expect him to be in the rotation next year if still with the club. IMNO1 thinks the decision to leave school early was good in his maturing process. He learned a lot about himself this past season

Reaction Score
Definitely disappointing that a 3rd team on the year 33 year old Isaiah Thomas got as many shot attempts up with the hornets as their lottery pick did this year. Part of the NBA is 'playing the game' but I do think its got to be hard not to be 'stubborn' if thats the situation you are in.
We met IT and he's a great guy but he had no business getting so many minutes. Can't stand Borrego, he's stubborn and a vet-centric guy with a young team. Would've liked to see more Kai Jones and Thor too. Instead, Plumlee stayed in during decided games. Bouk looked totally at home when he played - and we watched most games as my son is a Hornets fan. Borrego sucks!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
People act like Bouknight is so immature compared to other guys in the NBA.

Kid is 20 years old. There are tons of egotistical stubborn men 10+ years older than him in the league, who also act like children.

While I’m not trying to excuse his behavior, there is room for professional growth, I feel like this has twisted into some weird narrative that Bouks early career “maturity issues” are so unique and rare in the league…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We met IT and he's a great guy but he had no business getting so many minutes. Can't stand Borrego, he's stubborn and a vet-centric guy with a young team. Would've liked to see more Kai Jones and Thor too. Instead, Plumlee stayed in during decided games. Bouk looked totally at home when he played - and we watched most games as my son is a Hornets fan. Borrego sucks!
Don’t you know you can’t question coaches decisions on who they play and don’t play? They see them everyday in practice. He gets paid millions of dollars to do this. If you question him, why not become a coach yourself?

S/

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Kid is 20 years old. There are tons of egotistical stubborn men 10+ years older than him in the league, who also act like children.

While I’m not trying to excuse his behavior, there is room for professional growth, I feel like this has twisted into some weird narrative that Bouks early career “maturity issues” are so unique and rare in the league…

Remember that people here think they don't play defense in the NBA. So of course they have no idea what NBA players are like....

Reaction Score

cough kyrie cough

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
IMNO1 thinks the decision to leave school early was good in his maturing process. He learned a lot about himself this past season
Did I just see what you did?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sounds like James is maturing. I expect him to be in the rotation next year if still with the club. IMNO1 thinks the decision to leave school early was good in his maturing process. He learned a lot about himself this past season
With this post you went from I'm number one to I'm no one. Chief00 has a wrap on this shtick with 99 acting as his novice.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
cough kyrie cough
If he only had 1/10th of kyrie's talent but I get what you are saying.

McLovin is off base - some of us who have spoken to players and folks affiliated with the UConn program that have expressed deep concern over Bouknights behavior, especially in his personal life. Just because some other NBA players have had issues doesn't make it any less of a concern with JB. There are facts that many here know nothing about and if they did they may look at JB in a different light. The fact that DH has remained in denial and used him as a poster boy for his program is troubling to me.
I don't care if people don't like what I say concerning JB - there is a very good reason why CV had absolutely nothing to do with him during and after the Xavier game at Gampel this past season. He knows but sensibly will not discuss publicly - as I won't say anything specific about the things I have discovered. That's up to JB.
JB has God given talent that few have but won't be able to use it if he doesn't honor basic authority and does things that are self destructive. It will be very sad if he doesn't decide to change the things he has openly discussed as a starting point. I sincerely hope he does and I wish him all the best but the ball is solely in his court now. It's time to put the big boy pants on and go earn a living. He needs to concentrate on basketball and the things JB can do on and off the court to make himself a better player, healthier in mind and body and less "stubborn".
My best to him going forward....................................

Reaction Score
So he was thrown out of Gampel for talking on his phone? I don’t think that was the reason. If it was lots of others including me should have been thrown out. He was thrown out because he acted like a knucklehead and had no respect for authority. I hope he succeeds but I think what he said in the article was lots of bs. Call me a doubter.

Reaction Score
So he was thrown out of Gampel for talking on his phone? I don’t think that was the reason. If it was lots of others including me should have been thrown out. He was thrown out because he acted like a knucklehead and had no respect for authority. I hope he succeeds but I think what he said in the article was lots of bs. Call me a doubter.
Kid would be a junior in college right now, didn't do anything worse than anyone in this website was doing as a junior in college going to uconn games. Just has a larger microscope on him than any of us did. 'Knucklehead' get off your high horse

Reaction Score
Kid would be a junior in college right now, didn't do anything worse than anyone in this website was doing as a junior in college going to uconn games. Just has a larger microscope on him than any of us did. 'Knucklehead' get off your high horse
I never had to have someone from the administration sit next to me and try to get me to behave. I was never threatened with being thrown out of an event and even after that warning I still acted like I was above the rules. I never made millions and then embarrassed the organization that was paying me. To call him a knucklehead is being way too kind. He has lots to prove to lots of people. Stop using his age as an excuse

Reaction Score
Not like IT is known for his outstanding defense lol
Stephen King Clown GIF by Maudit

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak