‘Everybody eats’ | The Boneyard

‘Everybody eats’

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
an OK article that starts off with total BS!

why must connolly conjure up a hokey, totally misleading thesis that "the Huskies were a team in name only. On the court, it was essentially Bueckers and four other onlookers" at the start of the season. It makes for a neato narrative, a nice structure to build his story around ... the problem, though, is it wasn't anywhere near true. It's the sort of crap that does a disservice to the real journalism.

yeah, paige was the star of the TEAM. Of course she would be -- winner of multiple national player of the year awards the year before. The team would have been dysfunctional , seriously flawed, if it didn't take advantage of this.

i think everyone was aware of the danger connolly declared was true ... that other players would sit back and "let paige do it." No damning evidence, though. just a fear. ... Yet connolly fixes the history to make his story neater. No other reason.

it fact, back in nov. & dec., the team was in flux. There were 14 players -- four of them entirely new and one with only a couple of months experience with the team as an early admission freshman. We don't know what the chemistry was then (2 players soon transferred). The seniors didn't appear to be great on-court leaders; paige would be a likely candidate to fill the need. Although we didn't know it then, dorka, nika, azzi and aubrey (maybe others too -- evina?) weren't in good physical shape. These and other factors could have made the team at the time even more reliant on paige to steer the ship. But connolly would rather establish the narrative that uconn was 'a team in name only' content to ride paige's coattails to glory.

if i were connected to the program -- a player, a parent, coach or auxiliary -- i'd be a bit po'd by this gratuitous, sloppy 'historical' aside. Neat as it is as a story.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the narrative of Mr. Connolly's story the premise
that at team containing players willing to sublimate their own
stats to the benefit of the team is " Mirabile Dictu " : "wonderful
to relate". When the team wins , everyone wins!

Reaction Score
an OK article that starts off with total BS!

why must connolly conjure up a hokey, totally misleading thesis that "the Huskies were a team in name only. On the court, it was essentially Bueckers and four other onlookers" at the start of the season. It makes for a neato narrative, a nice structure to build his story around ... the problem, though, is it wasn't anywhere near true. It's the sort of crap that does a disservice to the real journalism.

yeah, paige was the star of the TEAM. Of course she would be -- winner of multiple national player of the year awards the year before. The team would have been dysfunctional , seriously flawed, if it didn't take advantage of this.

i think everyone was aware of the danger connolly declared was true ... that other players would sit back and "let paige do it." No damning evidence, though. just a fear. ... Yet connolly fixes the history to make his story neater. No other reason

it fact, back in nov. & dec., the team was in flux. There were 14 players -- four of them entirely new and one with only a couple of months experience with the team as an early admission freshman. We don't know what the chemistry was then (2 players soon transferred). The seniors didn't appear to be great on-court leaders; paige would be a likely candidate to fill the need. Although we didn't know it then, dorka, nika, azzi and aubrey (maybe others too -- evina?) weren't in good physical shape. These and other factors could have made the team at the time even more reliant on paige to steer the ship. But connolly would rather establish the narrative that uconn was 'a team in name only' content to ride paige's coattails to glory.

if i were connected to the program -- a player, a parent, coach or auxiliary -- i'd be a bit po'd by this gratuitous, sloppy 'historical' aside. Neat as it is as a story.
i think everyone was aware of the danger connolly declared was true ... that other players would sit back and "let paige do it." No damning evidence, though. just a fear. ... Yet connolly fixes the history to make his story neater. No other reason
Geno said something that struck me as significant at the time (December). Paraphrasing him, "I don't like the looks of this team if Paige is not in." He was talking about both the lack of effort by everybody else, on offense and defense, and the too-much-standing around-waiting for the ball tactics they employed. That may be what Connolly is referring to.

Reaction Score
I have zero problem with Connolly's opening paragraph because that is what I saw as well. I think it was more a subconscious thing than anything else, they lacked confidence in themselves & each other. Now we are seeing that by having to play without Paige they have developed confidence in themselves and one another. They had no choice, really.

Paige's injury may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise for her teammates.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here’s the link. New Arrivals - Officially Licensed Sports T-Shirts - BreakingT
Apparently Dick’s Sporting Goods sells this brand, BreakingT, so they appear to be legit.

1646856920445.jpeg

1646857070579.jpeg

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Geno said something that struck me as significant at the time (December). Paraphrasing him, "I don't like the looks of this team if Paige is not in." He was talking about both the lack of effort by everybody else, on offense and defense, and the too-much-standing around-waiting for the ball tactics they employed. That may be what Connolly is referring to.
sure enough! too bad the writer didn't simply quote Geno.

instead, he pre-emptively declared uconn "was a team in name only," a bunch of 'onlookers.'

admittedly, the fans might have thought so, geno might have felt that way, in frustration. ... so, quote them, in context.

but geno knew, and the fans should have too, that it was very, very early in the season, with a very new team with a lot of issues and it was in the process of becoming the best it could be, as is typical at the beginning of the season -- and not a crew of onlookers, not a team in name only.

connolly left out this context, distorted the story just so it would flow into a pleasing narrative ... that little trick kinda ruined for me what was otherwise a good piece, good quotes, etc.

Reaction Score
Those nine happy smiling faces are really a NASTY defensive band of sisters, getting the job done.

The offense will catch up shortly.

Reaction Score
Everybody eats is a phrase I’ve seen all over social media for awhile. Paige used it in an Instagram story a while before Nikas postgame comment. Don’t know who originated it but Nika wasn’t nearly the first to quote it

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No kidding. I love it that a quote from Nika is on a t-shirt. And what makes it special is that she was responding to a reporter's question about why she fed the ball to Amari for a lay-up when she could have taken it heraelf.
I will order the "Everybody Eats" shirt, but I'm going to have to think of a shorter explanation when people ask me what it means.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom