‘Big Red’ Tom Emery is a Connecticut celebrity, but to him, he’s 'just a fan' | The Boneyard

‘Big Red’ Tom Emery is a Connecticut celebrity, but to him, he’s 'just a fan'

Reaction Score
Since yesterday was Big Red Day.

It was at a game at the Hartford Civic Center in 1982. UConn trailed by a couple of points and coach Dom Perno called a timeout.

The UConn cheerleaders came out on the floor to lead the crowd in a cheer. Only nobody cheered.

“I felt so bad for the cheerleaders,” Tom Emery recalled, “I stood up and yelled, ‘Are you ready!?’ When I yelled it, a couple of sections went along with me and did it. And I didn’t even know what I was doing.”

Reaction Score
kouknow-jfm-something-ofa-celebrity-myself-32864190.png

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
“Emery, who started attending UConn games in 1973 and became a season-ticket holder a couple of years later, grew up in Wallingford and now lives in Meriden. He works in Wallingford as a business account representative, selling custom plaques for That’s Great News.”

That’s some word salad for The Boneyard @temery ;)

Reaction Score
You mean to say the Boneyard's Tom Emery is, in real life, the actual "Big Red"?

He said, "he didn't know what he was doing?" Why should he think he's different than anyone else? :rolleyes:
Did Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak know what they were doing?
Did Mark Zuckerman know what he was doing?
Did Jeff Bezos know what he was doing? (Well, his ex-wife sure did)
Did Carroll Shelby know what he was doing?

I rest my case...............

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Tom,
It was fun watching you get the notoriety! I had my Grandsons at the game (they are (were) big BC fans). Now they are teaching their friends the UCONN cheer. Of course when I brought my wife back to the hotel room what do we see over our bed - yes!! Big Red- see attached. Thanks for all you do
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 336
Reaction Score
I have to believe if this was Chief he would have told us himself.

Tom reppin, and good timing. This should make Yarders on the fence want to donate.

Congrats to Tom, we here don't need his autograph though, we see his signature everyday.

Reaction Score
You mean to say the Boneyard's Tom Emery is, in real life, the actual "Big Red"?

He said, "he didn't know what he was doing?" Why should he think he's different than anyone else? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah for sure!!! ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I think they are two different people. I believe the BY Tom lives in MA and is or was a teacher. Both great fans.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tom was/is an icon in the UConn mens basketball world
How many fans of other teams have asked me - "who is this Big Red dude???"
He deserves a place in the Wall of Fame as the epitome of the 6th man on the floor
Congrats for what you do at the game and on this blog

Reaction Score
If you meet Big Red, he says he is a different Tom Emery. If you ask temery, he’ll say he isn’t Big Red. Yet, many board members will tell you they are one in the same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One time I met Big Red at a football game and introduced myself as Hoophound. He said, "Hi, how are you doing?" and shook my hand. Then he goes, "That's actually a different Tom Emery." I nodded with a smile and left no better knowing the truth. However, I now know the truth, but I'm not spoiling it for everyone.

Reaction Score
One time I met Big Red at a football game and introduced myself as Hoophound. He said, "Hi, how are you doing?" and shook my hand. Then he goes, "That's actually a different Tom Emery." I nodded with a smile and left no better knowing the truth. However, I now know the truth, but I'm not spoiling it for everyone.

Where are the appropriate places to introduce oneself by their 'Yard handle? UConn events and most every pizza joint in the state come to mind. Divorce court?

Reaction Score
Where are the appropriate places to introduce oneself by their 'Yard handle? UConn events and most every pizza joint in the state come to mind. Divorce court?

Any court!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom