OT: - Your one piece of prized sports memorabilia | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Your one piece of prized sports memorabilia

Reaction Score
In 1980 my grandparents took my brother and I to the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid. On one of the days there we watched a US Hockey team practice before their semi final game - Herb Brooks flipped us a puck on the way out and we take turns keeping it. He has it now but this thread will make me ask him for it for a while! Maybe the greatest upset in the history of sports - certainly right up there

Reaction Score
In 1980 my grandparents took my brother and I to the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid. On one of the days there we watched a US Hockey team practice before their semi final game - Herb Brooks flipped us a puck on the way out and we take turns keeping it. He has it now but this thread will make me ask him for it for a while! Maybe the greatest upset in the history of sports - certainly right up there
I was just watching Miracle yesterday and still get charged up watching.

Reaction Score
Can't compare to the 1980 puck from Herb Brooks. Very cool.

But I caught a puck -snatched it out of the air- at a Chicago Blackhawks game versus Gretzky's Oilers back in the 80s. Like an idiot I started banging the puck on the glass, glaring at the Oilers and acting the fool. Still have the puck in the cellar somewhere.

Reaction Score
Don't collect a heck of a lot but I caught not one but two foul balls once in a minor league game, somewhere up in the attic. Lost an autographed Travis Knight jersey years ago.
I got a bat that came flying into the crowd at a minor league game in St. Pete. There was a guy sitting behind me, with a big camera...bat smashed the camera to pieces, landed in front of the dude, I grabbed it. The dude did not care, he was so disraught over his camera...35 years ago, the bat is still in my shed on the wall....

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

In 1957, as a 12-year old, I was lucky enough to buy two separate five packs of Topps baseball cards, the ones with the flat stick of double bubble gum inside, a day apart, at my favorite downtown corner bodega - Norman's..

What are the odds that each of those packs held inside a brand-new, 1956 Mickey Mantle Triple Crown Topps card inside?

Sure, I valued them as a NYC/Yankee fan, youngster baseball player would back then, but the modern collection industry had not yet become the Billion Dollar insanity it is today. Both cards probably ended up in shoe boxes in the top of a distant closet of my NYC past. Out of sight, out of mind. Never thought about them again.

Fast forward to 2019. My mother had a serious health issue that required many very expensive procedures costing way above what her insurance would cover. She called me for help (cash). Unfortunately, it was unusually tight for me at that time & I didn't have quite enough available cash to share & cover the costs.

Guessing, I told her to check inside my old sports foot locker if it was still out in her garage pile of junk which she'd schlepped around all those years because I didn't care about all the hoops trophies & no-hitter baseballs from high school anymore at all. And mom's are the gatherers, right?

She found a thick baseball folder in the locker that I remembered making for a school project (using 1/4" plywood covers that I hand painted (stick figure baseball players) & shoelaces for binding - what a craftsman & artist! (Ha). The project was just a kid memorializing the 1958 MLB All-Star Game I went to with my grandfather at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore that year. Man, I miss him so much!

I had cut out pictures of all the players in that game from the game program, taped them on the pages & covered them over with sticky clear plastic sleeves to preserve them.

It turns out that BOTH of those Triple Crown 1956 Mickey Mantle Tops cards were well-preserved & still inside that momento project, which I'd thought was long gone to history. Both were in MINT CONDITION because of those clear covers & the fact that they hadn't been handled once since I put them in my little All-Star book in 1958 - 61 years(!) before my mom found them again in that foot locker in her garage pile of junk.

To make a long story longer, in 2019, a collector paid me $40K+ for one of those special cards - which I gave to my mother to cover her procedures. The other Triple Crown '56 Mickey, I still have - somewhere around in this house - in MY pile of junk. I have no idea where it is though. Oh, the things people value, huh?...Sheesh!

Sometimes life is just like the great Mose Allison sang long ago, "Well it weren't too crazy. It was...just enough. Baby it was, just enough"

Father Demo

PS: I once got ejected from Yankee Stadium in '61 for sitting behind the Mick & the monuments out at 461' in dead center, for tossing ice cream sundae tops at the Mick on a playing-hookey, hot 'n humid, early summer kinda day, with the Yankees up by 17 runs! -father demo-

Reaction Score
Here's a short video of that long-lost 1956 Mickey Mantle Triple Crown Winner Topps baseball card that literally saved the day & life of my mother from the proceeds (she lived for years after that lucky day). I got two - from two packs of five - bought two days apart - I got at our neighborhood bodega.

8bCV1rxLEBs

Father Demo.

Reaction Score
One thing I neglected to mention - an important part - both of my 1956 Mickey Mantle Triple Crown Winner Topps cards were signed by The Mick.

A NY Journal American Sports beat reporter named Til Ferdenzi lived in the next apartment from my family when I was growing up in NYC. He covered the Yankees for nearly 25 years, sitting in the writers' boxes out at Yankee Stadium & hanging out with the Yankees all the time on the road & at home. Everyone trusted Til.

Til knew that I was a real Yankees fan & also a very good pitcher when I was young. He even wrote a little piece about me & my team in his daily paper when my little league team went undefeated, won the NYS LL Championship, & I threw ten no hitters & never lost a game at 12 years old. Great to have a friend in high places - Til also alerted Yankee & Mets scouts about me when my success continued through high school. (note: hoops was the game I loved to play though).

Til was also very generous & only had a single daughter. So, any foul ball that ended up in his box at Yankee Stadium, Til would grab it, get it signed (sometimes by the foul-off player, sometimes part of or the whole Yankee team & he'd drop it off in our mail box or in person the next day. Sometimes, Til would play catch with me out in the street & talk Yankees with me - a great blessing back in those days when the home team hardly ever lost & won pennants & championships every year. He really made baseball come alive for me & built up my confidence. And my dad couldn't care less about me or baseball.

Because of Til Ferdenzi's generosity, I actually was loaded with many, many Golden-era Yankee signed balls. cards & memorabilia. I even became a little jaded by it because it all became so normal & he loved doing it for the neighborhood kid.

But when I brought Til those two '56 Mick Triple Crown cards to get signed, I had no idea how valuable that would become or how amazingly easy it was for Til with his nightly post-game relationship & beers with the players, including the Mick. I was SO LUCKY that Til Ferdenzi - who also wrote several books about the players over the years - adopted me as his surrogate "baseball son." Several times, he took me into the lockers room to meet players. I was in heaven. He really helped me survive my dysfunctional home situation & father's constant rath.

So Lucky! Thank You Til Ferdenzi for being my "baseball dad."

Father Demo

Reaction Score
I got a bat that came flying into the crowd at a minor league game in St. Pete. There was a guy sitting behind me, with a big camera...bat smashed the camera to pieces, landed in front of the dude, I grabbed it. The dude did not care, he was so disraught over his camera...35 years ago, the bat is still in my shed on the wall....
Guy's taking inventory of his broken camera, broken teeth and broken dreams.
You grab the bat. Ruthless.

Reaction Score
Signed Don Larsen photo. My grandfather played in the minors with him

Reaction Score
Photo from April 8, 1977 when we were ranked #1 in the nation. We were 36-1 at the time going into a 3 game series at #3 ranked Florida State. The guy on the right is "the Brat" , Eddie Stanky, our head coach. We split the first two games and lost the 3rd 5-4 in 11 innings. Great series and rivalry at that time. They even beat up our bus driver when he was getting into our bus during the game.
1000000067.jpg

Reaction Score
Is this memorabilia or just a hat that went out of date really, really fast?

th-1993539468.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A 3" trophy after winning a state championship. The bb team got a parade.

No complaints. I'd rather have the trophy.

Reaction Score
The only thing I still have, A Bob Lilly autographed game jersey. Remains my favorite football player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom