WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I just don't get the criteria you are using. Hamby making buckets is bad? Why? She was 12-16, that is off the charts efficient.
No, Hamby trying to make this her "revenge" game was bad. She hit shots, but not all the shots she hit were good looks. Obviously the lay-ups were, but she had some shots that she forced because she was intent on proving a point.

What else could she possibly do to gain your approval?
Lead them to a win, maybe? They won in that building last year with a healthy Chelsea Gray playing for Vegas.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Sound like they expect to have her at some point this season just not anytime soon. They were weird about the CP injury that retired her so who knows. Idk if it’s a torn Achilles but she said she heard a “pop” and has been out 7 months at this point. I’m not sure what else it would have been. An Achilles is 6-9 months recovery so it would fit within that recovery time line anyways.
Well, not quite. They knew about the severity of CP's injury and addressed it from a personnel standpoint (albeit with replacement players). Riquna's situation placed them in a tough spot in terms of the cap, so I would imagine that they would've acquired an even better post option had they not had to pay RW to stay away.

Everyone (not you, but I'm seeing a lot of people say it without any evidence) keeps trying to diagnose Chelsea with an Achilles injury, but it would be extremely negligent of the organization to have that information and do nothing to address the PG position. An Achilles injury isn't the only injury that would result in a "pop" and lead to an extended recovery. A severe foot sprain would also fit a 6-8 month recovery timetable.

It sounds like they're being cautious. In the meantime, observers will have to endure ugly Aces games where the guards are making questionable decisions because they can't dictate tempo or make difficult passes like Chelsea can.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lead them to a win, maybe? They won in that building last year with a healthy Chelsea Gray playing for Vegas.
Vegas has lost 1 game at home in their last 30, the one you are referring to. A fluke if there ever was one. Also, that LA team had the since departed Nneka and Canada, and currently injured Stevens. Is the team they put on the floor today better?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Vegas has lost 1 game at home in their last 30, the one you are referring to. A fluke if there ever was one. Also, that LA team had the since departed Nneka and Canada, and currently injured Stevens. Is the team they put on the floor today better?
Considering that people are big on the lottery pick rookies and that Brown, Hamby, and Nurse all appear to be healthy, then they may be closer than you're willing to admit.

At any rate, that team didn't make the playoffs and this year's team is likely to miss out as well.

Reaction Score
Vegas lost to the Liberty at home last season too. Is that the fluke you are referring to?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Vegas lost to the Liberty at home last season too. Is that the fluke you are referring to?
That Commissioner's Cup game wasn't considered a regular season game (the Aces swept the Liberty at home in the regular season), so the one regular season loss at home was to the Sparks.

Reaction Score
That Commissioner's Cup game wasn't considered a regular season game (the Aces swept the Liberty at home in the regular season), so the one regular season loss at home was to the Sparks.
But it is still a home loss, no? Are you going to pretend it was a neutral site loss?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
But it is still a home loss, no? Are you going to pretend it was a neutral site loss?
It didn't count in the standings as a regular season loss. People say that the Aces didn't win a game in Brooklyn last season despite them winning Game 4 of the WNBA Finals. That's because they didn't win there during the regular season.

When people refer to Vegas' 19-1 record, they're only referring to the 20 regular season games they played. And because the 17-23 Sparks were that one team, it gives the appearance of a fluke (and it may have been, considering the Aces had a day to prepare and still had the Liberty--who they had just defeated--on their mind while LA had a week to prepare).

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This is the second and third game of the season for teams, after what are super short training camps. Sue Bird said in an interview with Rich Eisen the other day that it takes quite a few games for you to see what type of teams you truly have out on the court. On that note...

Kelsey Mitchell missed pretty much all of Indiana's training camp and it was obvious they look a lot better with her next to Clark than Wheeler. They both seemed to get a lot more open looks today (with Mitchell missing several I'm sure she wants back).

What hasn't seemed to happen in three games yet is the Fever figuring out how to get the ball to Boston in spots where she can be effective. Everyone was talking pick and roll between Boston/Clark before season began and we have barely seen it. The post who seems to work best with Clark thus far is Fagbenle. If they can figure that out (and not going up against two MVPs in Stewart and Jones will probably help) they will be a team that can score on you.

Now...their defense on the other hand, might be a bit unsalvageable; though the Liberty have arguable the hardest starting 5 to guard against in the league at the moment.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
No Sue Bird, no Chelsea Gray? Who are the point guards?
Again, who said Chelsea Gray wasn't playing?

Chelsea, Sabrina, and Caitlin can serve as the PGs.

If Team USA was truly worried about PG availability, they could've reached out to Jordin Canada, Natasha Cloud, and/or Skylar Diggins-Smith. They didn't.

Reaction Score
That Aces/Sparks game was fun! Hamby is playing MVP level basketball. Wow!

The Fever/Liberty game. The Fever looks like they are figuring things out. They competed better in this game compared to the last game. Of course, they got the Sun on Monday and no telling how that will play out, but I do like the way the Fever competed today.

Reaction Score
Again, who said Chelsea Gray wasn't playing?

Chelsea, Sabrina, and Caitlin can serve as the PGs.

If Team USA was truly worried about PG availability, they could've reached out to Jordin Canada, Natasha Cloud, and/or Skylar Diggins-Smith. They didn't.
I asked this question if Chelsea wasn’t available, and since she’s not back in 7 months, then it is possible. And Caitlin has not been confirmed and that may be more than she can handle. Not sure there are any practices before either.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I asked this question if Chelsea wasn’t available, and since she’s not back in 7 months, then it is possible. And Caitlin has not been confirmed and that may be more than she can handle. Not sure there are any practices before either.
You said, "no Sue, no Chelsea" as if that was a definite--and it's not WRT Chelsea. We know Sue isn't playing. The same isn't true for Chelsea. She's been warming up before games and has been doing some work in practice. To me, that sounds more like day-to-day than a threat to miss the Olympics.

The schedule has also been kind to the Aces, as they will play their first four games at home against less-than-stellar competition (Phoenix x 2 is an okay squad (though minus Griner), but the Sparks and Fever are potential lottery teams). They can survive without her, but they certainly are not thriving. I don't think they're worried about thriving--winning is fine for now.

Reaction Score
Only saw the first half of Atlanta - LA. Was curious to see how Nurse played after a meh season in Seattle. Man, she came out a lot stronger than I expected with 23 points :). Not sure if she can maintain a 20+ clip but a consistent double digit scorer would be cool. Would also come in handy for the Olympics. :D
She balled out again today v IN. Playing with a high level of confidence.
Needless to say, this has been an extremely poor performance by the Fever so far. I think Christie Sides has to take the bulk of the blame for that. Not only is her "defense" getting carved up (and I wouldn't even say that the Liberty are playing all that well offensively--they've missed shots), her offense is doing close to NOTHING. There were times where Caitlin could've cooked whichever non-Laney guard that was checking her, but Sides does nothing to get her going. Where are the easy looks? Why are they not trying to get her pushing the ball in transition?

Meanwhile, slow-footed Sabrina is getting layups and isn't having to guard anyone.

It may be early in the season (against two tough opponents), but if Indiana doesn't look better than they have the last two games, Sides' seat will warm up in a heartbeat. People aren't paying an arm and a leg to see Caitlin and the Fever struggle to this magnitude. I've said that they do need another piece to get the offense flowing better, but my goodness. You can still pretend to defend. How about playing players who actually CAN defend?
Sides won’t be the coach next season.

Reaction Score
She balled out again today v IN. Playing with a high level of confidence.

Sides won’t be the coach next season.
Think you have the teams confused.. The Sparks played Vegas today.

Reaction Score
Honestly, with the chemistry issues and the lack of time to fix things between games, I would take the hard decision to move Hull back into the starting lineup and having Mitchell be a starter in place of Clark when she gets healthy. In that way, they have the same lineup as last season and they can slowly integrate the new players. I know they'll lose some offense but I think it'll be the best way to win a couple of more games in this tough stretch of 7 games in 11 days with no practice time. People forget but the Fever has a nice streak of wins and close losses to end last season.

I think my idea is a little short sighted and may be replacing short-term gains in place of long-term gains but I think it may be necessary because of the lack of practice time between games. I could see Samuelson and Clark eventually moving back into the starting lineup but for now we need to find some semblance of chemistry ASAP.

Also, for the life of me I cannot understand why Berger is not getting more minutes off the bench...

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you suggested. There isn’t team chemistry with the Fever. having the past number one draft picks is not an instant fix. I do believe that the non stop media hype, and defense of CC in the media might be a bigger issue than folks think. Team chemistry will take time. Lacking defensive skills will take time to develop.

is the issue the coach? I doubt it. It will take time for CC to mesh and change some things on offense. She is the point guard and during her whole college career she looked for her shot. Change and understanding that she is not in a small pond anymore. I don’t think her college coach has prepared her for the prep game. My opinion. Taurasi was correct and folks tried to turn her into a villain. all I can say is pass the darn ball and quit taking logo threes.
Clip and save this post - CC is in the top 20 in scoring and top 10 in assists. The coach is utterly incompetent and this roster will turn over significantly. If you think CC is going to, or should sit, well …

Reaction Score
Well said. I totally agree. Coaches can have a positive or negative impact on rookies and their development. A lot depends on the coach and their personality. Some coaches will have the attitude of "It's my way or the highway" approach. Or they have the "Hey. Let's see what we got and build around the talent we have". Of course, you are danged if you do and danged if you don't.

To be fair to Coach Sides, and we will see what develops over the next 8 games, but I believe that we are reading way too much into her comment about CC. Paul Westhead said the same thing about Diana Taurasi when he took over the Mercury after Coach Graf and how DT would have to adjust her game in order for Phoenix to be Championship level. Of course, I believe Year 2 under Westhead they had Cappie Pondexter, who was a bucket a second and Penny Taylor was another a bucket a second type player. But DT scaled back her 20 attempts a game and that allowed more opportunities for Pondexter and Taylor. Then throw in Tangela Smith & Kelly Miller. Jeez. Phoenix had a squad back then! But the point, in year 2 under Westhead, Phoenix went on to win their first title. Was it because of DT making adjustments? Was it because of the System that Coach Westhead ran? Was it an increase in team talent? Who knows. All I do know is, and we all follow sports, if a team is going to grow and reach that mountain top, each player will have to adjust their game to some degree in order for the team to reach its potential.
Have you watched their first three games? Is this the resume of a professional basketball coach or even a high level D1 coach?

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads