Men - Wins Needed for a 2024 At Large bid | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men Wins Needed for a 2024 At Large bid

Reaction Score
Not bad at all. It’s not an easy bracket but the road to CWS is limited in regards to going thru the B12 and SEC. It’s basically ACC they the Supers and I think Uconn has certainly shown they can compete with anybody in that conference in the past. The season’s been extended and that’s all that matters today.

Reaction Score
Had family in from Florida this weekend because of my son’s wedding. Was having brunch with them as selection show was going on, so I taped it. Just finished watching. Very tough regional, but we are in again.

Even though the revised chart was all Green, I was anxious after going winless in BE tournament. Thinking following 3 things put us in over other teams
(1) BE being ranked 7th instead of 13th ( last year). Our resume with a 13th ranked conference would not have gotten us in.
(2) Winning every BE series
(3) Our reputation of being a formidable baseball program

Reaction Score
Love doing the chart, and happy that many of you follow it. Even though our bracket is difficult, you never know. That’s why I enjoy baseball so much.

Looking forward to doing the chart next year, but first let’s win some more games.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Had family in from Florida this weekend because of my son’s wedding. Was having brunch with them as selection show was going on, so I taped it. Just finished watching. Very tough regional, but we are in again.

Even though the revised chart was all Green, I was anxious after going winless in BE tournament. Thinking following 3 things put us in over other teams
(1) BE being ranked 7th instead of 13th ( last year). Our resume with a 13th ranked conference would not have gotten us in.
(2) Winning every BE series
(3) Our reputation of being a formidable baseball program
I would add:

(4) Non-Conference Strength of Schedule.

Reaction Score
This was mentioned as a key point being used within the committee during the selection show. Like a broken record, I hope next years schedule includes more P5 opponents with true road games/series.
I'm pretty sure they have Vandy at Dodger Stadium next year plus the puerto rico trip that I know Virginia is going to as well.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Strength of schedule certainly helped Florida even though I didn’t think they deserved it with their record.

2024 UConn and 20/4 Florida are similar in that neither really wins games, but they played a schedule appealing to the committee (UConn with only 4 home series all year, UF scheduling multiple games vs St Johns / Miami / FSU / FAU in conjunction with an SEC schedule). Game the system.

Reaction Score
2024 UConn and 20/4 Florida are similar in that neither really wins games, but they played a schedule appealing to the committee (UConn with only 4 home series all year, UF scheduling multiple games vs St Johns / Miami / FSU / FAU in conjunction with an SEC schedule). Game the system.

Without this system, you game it by scheduling easy wins against lousy teams, and what would that prove?

This is the reward for playing a tough and challenging schedule. And we won enough.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what “game the system” means the way you used it. “The system” rewards playing good teams, playing them on the road and, most importantly, playing good teams on the road. The analysis of UConn’s season is we were very disappointing OOC, but the record was against a huge percentage of good teams with an overwhelming number of the games on the road. Then, when we got into the conference schedule, we dominated and the Committee has the impossible job of determining whether the Big East was just overrated or we were a better team than many, including me, thought, but with just too tough a schedule to be surprised. The OOC SOS behind all the losses would not have helped us if we didn’t dominate the Big East, and the Big East hadn’t made a much bigger splash in early season OOC play than prior years.

Having said that, I am really uncomfortable that we are in and Northeastern is out, but these decisions at the margins will always be debatable and, ultimately, it’s not my problem. We have a second life — win game 1 (and anyone can win a single baseball game) and the world looks totally different.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what “game the system” means the way you used it. “The system” rewards playing good teams, playing them on the road and, most importantly, playing good teams on the road. The analysis of UConn’s season is we were very disappointing OOC, but the record was against a huge percentage of good teams with an overwhelming number of the games on the road. Then, when we got into the conference schedule, we dominated and the Committee has the impossible job of determining whether the Big East was just overrated or we were a better team than many, including me, thought, but with just too tough a schedule to be surprised. The OOC SOS behind all the losses would not have helped us if we didn’t dominate the Big East, and the Big East hadn’t made a much bigger splash in early season OOC play than prior years.

Having said that, I am really uncomfortable that we are in and Northeastern is out, but these decisions at the margins will always be debatable and, ultimately, it’s not my problem. We have a second life — win game 1 (and anyone can win a single baseball game) and the world looks totally different.
Agree with these comments with one add. I don't know if it matters but last year Northeastern got pounded in both games of the tournament (Maryland and I believe George Mason). They weren't competitive. I don't know the impact of that in regards to the 2024 snub but I do know it doesn't help their cause. Northeastern needs to toughen up that Feb/Mar portion of their schedule which I think you will see happen (a la Kansas St this year after the 2023 snub).

Reaction Score
The KState/Cincy midweeks, UCLA/UC Irv. midweeks and Auburn true road series were difference makers. Less NE schools and a couple more midweeks vs. some P5 when traveling to the Midwest or somewhere else for conference play (ie KSTATE scheduling Uconn/NE coming east later in the season) it benefited them certainly. I believe those wins will always carry more weight for an at-large then conference record (unless the BE continues to ascend into a top 4 conf).

I think some unexpected noise in this years tournament could certainly help in getting a 3 game series in Georgia Texas Miss St. LSU Texas AM etc. I still believe Uconn is more of a risk to these schools without bringing the beneficial impact of winning a series vs Uconn. That can realistically change soon and I think it’s an opportunity that would go a long way in scheduling/recruiting.

Reaction Score
The KState/Cincy midweeks, UCLA/UC Irv. midweeks and Auburn true road series were difference makers. Less NE schools and a couple more midweeks vs. some P5 when traveling to the Midwest or somewhere else for conference play (ie KSTATE scheduling Uconn/NE coming east later in the season) it benefited them certainly. I believe those wins will always carry more weight for an at-large then conference record (unless the BE continues to ascend into a top 4 conf).

I think some unexpected noise in this years tournament could certainly help in getting a 3 game series in Georgia Texas Miss St. LSU Texas AM etc. I still believe Uconn is more of a risk to these schools without bringing the beneficial impact of winning a series vs Uconn. That can realistically change soon and I think it’s an opportunity that would go a long way in scheduling/recruiting.
I remember CJ saying we had a 3 game series at Georgia scheduled for next year, but for some reason was cancelled. I hope it gets replaced with another P4 series.

Reaction Score
I remember CJ saying we had a 3 game series at Georgia scheduled for next year, but for some reason was cancelled. I hope it gets replaced with another P4 series.
Ur right I remember reading that on here, idk it was Georgia. It is P4 I keep referring to P5.

Reaction Score
Ur right I remember reading that on here, idk it was Georgia. It is P4 I keep referring to P5.

The 3 game series was against Oklahoma State that was scheduled for next season. It was cancelled due to Big XII expansion. Chris Jones said it during at least 1 game broadcast this season.

Reaction Score

SOS and OOC games by themselves or with mostly losses, won’t get an at-large bid. I agree the BE dominance probably was the tipping point in their favor though. I do think that in any given season the SOS/OOC with more wins and a down BE conference record will mean more and at large’s will mostly likely continue to go those who aren’t afraid to go on the road in true road games and win more then you lose. I don’t think that’s a bad model even though ur NE points can’t be ignored or argued.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom