Which Schools Get The Most Out Of Transfers? (UConn #2) | The Boneyard

Which Schools Get The Most Out Of Transfers? (UConn #2)

Reaction Score
Ya Newton had 2 final four MOP’s he’s definitely been our most valuable transfer!! With a ton of other accolades this past season. Sorry cam I love u too but you weren’t more valuable than Newton in your time as a husky!! Although one had two years and one only had one…

Reaction Score
I have no problem with this. It seems legit. Actually, I have no problems with anything in general since we won b2b. I spoke with my therapist and seems that all my life issues stemmed from our stint in the AAC. And she thought my childhood was to blame!

Reaction Score
do they only count as a transfer their first year at the new school? otherwise newton should get compounding interest as a transfer that played for 2 years
Yes. First year only.

His model hated Cam Spencer at Rutgers, too, which is why him being our most productive transfer is doubly wild.

Reaction Score
Ya Newton had 2 final four MOP’s he’s definitely been our most valuable transfer!! With a ton of other accolades this past season. Sorry cam I love u too but you weren’t more valuable than Newton in your time as a husky!! Although one had two years and one only had one…
*1 MOP

Reaction Score
1st team all American, player of the game in both national championships. I'm sure Newton is clutch too but we will never know since we had too many blowouts lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn hasn’t taken as many transfers as Arizona, but their incoming players usually outperform expectations by a ton. Cam Spencer from Rutgers in 2023-24, Joey “California” Calcaterra from San Diego in 2022-23, and Tristen Newton from East Carolina in 2022-23 all played vital roles in winning national titles for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
You can’t come in second if you win 2 titles with transfers being very very productive in both. I mean how many did Arizona win?

Thank you @mauconnfan... as usual you are a man of honesty and willingness to call out nonsense whenever it is presented.

Let me be more blunt. Anyone who would highlight this formula and its results in his X feed and not call it into question is another goose-stepping moron.

Let me start by saying there are only two main reasons I can think of that a model could find that Arizona and not UConn has had the most impactful portal transfers over the last 5 years. Those two reasons are:

1. Arizona had double the amount of them (13 to 6) with enough who have played significant roles on their regular season success. We have seen most of the recruiting sites play this same game by giving a higher grade to teams with more recruits in a recruiting class than a team with fewer recruits, but with higher ratings.
2. This model gives equal weight to statistics earned during the regular season as those earned while playing in the NCAA Tournament.

Well... either of these reasons are totally bogus.

And why is this model totally bogus? Because anyone with half a brain realizes that statistics earned during the tournament should always, ALWAYS receive a lot more weight than statistics earned in a November or December buy game playing against the School for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb.... or even a regular season conference game, for that matter.

Tristen Newton's 2 Final 4 MOP's should far, far outweigh any statistical success that Jadon Bradley or any other transfer earned while at Arizona. Why? Because those guys all crapped out during the games that mattered, IN THE TOURNAMENT... While Tristen Newton was a star. In the Final 4. TWO YEARS IN A ROW! And he earned the MOP both years for his performances. He and UConn went 12-0 in the most important games over the last 2 years. Let alone all of the production that we received from Cam Spencer, Joey Calcaterra, Naheim Alleyne, Hassan Diarra, RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin during their time at UConn over the time that this model highlights.

Bottom line: Who would we rather have had on our team in the last two years? Jadon Bradley (or any of the other transfers to play at Arizona) or Tristen Newton... or one year of Cam Spencer? We all know the answer, which is just as obvious as how nonsensical this model is to have anyone other than us at #1 when measuring transfers who played the last two years.

The answer is... UConn should be #1... and there is no school that is even close at #2. Any model saying otherwise is complete trash.

Rant over.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Should UConn and then everybody else. But I don't care. Put us at the bottom because we don't get any of the best players.

It's about the body of work dontchaknow

Whoop whoop whoop

Reaction Score
Thank you @mauconnfan... as usual you are a man of honesty and willingness to call out nonsense whenever it is presented.

Let me be more blunt. Anyone who would highlight this formula and its results in his X feed and not call it into question is another goose-stepping moron.

Let me start by saying there are only two main reasons I can think of that a model could find that Arizona and not UConn has had the most impactful portal transfers over the last 5 years. Those two reasons are:

1. Arizona had double the amount of them (13 to 6) with enough who have played significant roles on their regular season success. We have seen most of the recruiting sites play this same game by giving a higher grade to teams with more recruits in a recruiting class than a team with fewer recruits, but with higher ratings.
2. This model gives equal weight to statistics earned during the regular season as those earned while playing in the NCAA Tournament.

And why is this model totally bogus? Because anyone with half a brain realizes that statistics earned during the tournament should always, ALWAYS receive a lot more weight than statistics earned in a November or December buy game playing against the School for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb.... or even a regular season conference game, for that matter.

Tristen Newton's 2 Final 4 MOP's should far, far outweigh any statistical success that Jadon Bradley or any other transfer earned while at Arizona. Why? Because those guys all crapped out during the games that mattered, IN THE TOURNAMENT... While Tristen Newton was a star. In the Final 4. TWO YEARS IN A ROW! And he earned the MOP both years for his performances. He and UConn went 12-0 in the most important games over the last 2 years. Let alone all of the production that we received from Cam Spencer, Joey Calcaterra, Naheim Alleyne, Hassan Diarra, RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin during their time at UConn over the time that this model highlights.

Bottom line: Who would we rather have had on our team in the last two years? Jadon Bradley (or any of the other transfers to play at Arizona) or Tristen Newton... or one year of Cam Spencer? We all know the answer, which is just as obvious as how nonsensical this model is to have anyone other than us at #1 when measuring transfers who played the last two years.

The answer is... UConn should be #1... and there is no school that is even close at #2. Any model saying otherwise is complete trash.

Rant over.
Bessides the fact that you're completely misinterpreting what the chart is saying, Tristen Newton only won 1 Final Four MOP, and it was not in the year he was considered a transfer for this exercise

Reaction Score
"To conduct this study, I will only look at transfers from the last five seasons (2019-20 to 2023-24) in their first season after transferring."

Guess this scrubs out the best season of RJ, Tyrese, Newton, Diarra. So makes sense there. But I'm giggling at the idea that any school is out-portaling the back to back champions. Who had 3-4 rotation players as transfers in 2023 (including the guy who had 19/10 in the championship), and had an AP All American, BE 1st team, and BE 6MOY transfer this year

Reaction Score
Bessides the fact that you're completely misinterpreting what the chart is saying, Tristen Newton only won 1 Final Four MOP, and it was not in the year he was considered a transfer for this exercise

Good point. Thank you for the correction on Tristen, since Adama did win MOP for the 2023 Final 4.

That having been said... just because of that egregious error (and that is a bad one that I should never be making, I admit) saying I am "completely misinterpreting what the chart is saying" is also incorrect.

My point, quite clearly, is the following: any chart that would put any other school over ours for Transfers Outpeforming Expectations (now I am using the words from the chart verbatim) is clearly nonsensical, even if only the first year is taken into consideration. Because once again, only if you give equal weight to all games during a regular season and the post season does any other school come in #1 other than UConn. It is not like Newton, Alleyne, Diarra or Calcaterra were in anyone's Top 20 of transfers before 2022-2023, or Cam Spencer in anyone's Top 50 last year.

In fact, Newton was the only one in the Top 50 in 247 Sports' transfer class of 2022 (He was #43), and only he and Hassan Diarra were ranked in the Top 92 (as far as their database goes for 2022). For the 247 Sports' transfer class of 2023, Cam Spencer ranked at #114. Now, go back and look at how Arizona has had guys they got from the transfer portal ranked above ours every one of the 5 years. And yet our transfers helped us win 2 National Titles (even if you just count first years) and 2 first round defeats while theirs got them to two Sweet 16's and 1 first round defeat.

In fact, did any of the transfers in all of men's college basketball outperform Tristen in 2022-2023 or Cam Spencer in 2023-2024? Arguably, no. Certainly they were in Top 5 or 10. Who over-performed in their first year more than our guys have? I say none, and it is not even close.

Sorry, but only a very flawed (and incorrect) program could spit out Arizona, even with 1st years counting only, as having had their transfers outperform ours. No. Just, no.

And although you are correct that Tristen did not win the Final 4 MOP in 2023, he did go for 19 points and 10 rebounds in the National Championship game... meanwhile, Arizona's guys had long since spit the bit and were sitting at home watching ours win it all.

I rest my case.

pj

Reaction Score

Rant over.

Your logic is sound. But you have to acknowledge that if the NCAA changed the rules to allow 13 players per team on the court at a time, Arizona's 13 transfers might have won them a championship over UConn's 6 transfers.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
NCAA changed the rules to allow 13 players per team on the court at a time

Mistyped? Would be interesting though.

pj

Reaction Score
Mistyped? Would be interesting though.

Not mistyped. Quantity is not as important in basketball as quality, once you get past 5 players. 5 great players beat 13 good players.

Reaction Score
My point, quite clearly, is the following: any chart that would put any other school over ours for Transfers Outpeforming Expectations (now I am using the words from the chart verbatim) is clearly nonsensical, even if only the first year is taken into consideration.
Keshad Johnson went from 736 to 183.
Oumar Ballo went from unranked on Gonzaga to 96th on Arizona in his 1st year.
Pelle Larsson went from 1127 to 188 in his 1st year with Arizona
Caleb Love went from 285 to 80.

That's just the players from this year's Arizona team. For the rest of the included years:
Ramey went from 308 to 165.
Cedric Henderson went from 1312 to 514.
Justin Kier went from 1070 to 449.
Jemarl Baker went from unranked at Kentucky to 88th at Arizona.
James Akinjo played 7 games and was unranked for that season at GTown to 216 at Arizona.
Jordan Brown went from 777 to sitting out a year and then first year at Arizona to 562.
Terrell Brown went from 699 to 243.
Stone Gettings 909 to 623.

The only transfer that didn't improve by several 100 ranks in the whole 5 year window is Max Hazzard who went from 562 to 577.

Reaction Score
1st team all American, player of the game in both national championships. I'm sure Newton is clutch too but we will never know since we had too many blowouts lol.

I think there's some Mandela Effect thing being created amongst UConn fans with Tristen. While he played extremely well in the 23 Natty game, he was not the MOP of the tourney as he didn't have a great scoring game against Miami. Adama's dominance is slowly being forgotten!

Reaction Score
I think there's some Mandela Effect thing being created amongst UConn fans with Tristen. While he played extremely well in the 23 Natty game, he was not the MOP of the tourney as he didn't have a great scoring game against Miami. Adama's dominance is slowly being forgotten!
it's because the Turner broadcast said he had 2 MOPs right after the conclusion of the final. it was either Clark Kellog or Ernie Johnson, maybe even both of them.

Reaction Score
I think that is a general problem within our fanbase. People seem to forget how great Adama was in 2023, not everyone, but a lot on here.

Reaction Score
No way smooth, nobody's forgotten what Adama did for us. It was only last year, how could anyone forget?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom