Men - UConn & 2024 Big East Baseball Tourney @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/22>5/25). Gms on BEDN/FloSports. Audio on MIXLR, Fox Sports 97.9 & the Varsity App | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Men UConn & 2024 Big East Baseball Tourney @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/22>5/25). Gms on BEDN/FloSports. Audio on MIXLR, Fox Sports 97.9 & the Varsity App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have a shot on earned recency bias in the NCAAs and RPI and our scheduling may have just done the job. As another poster has said nobody watches all these teams, so nobody really knows. Anybody who has followed this year sees the flaws. That being said, I wouldn’t want to be the two seed we might face. You’d rather face a traditional postseason choker. And there are a bunch of them.
Positives
Won our league by 3 games (#7 RPI league to boot)
Won all 7 series in the league.
Finished 22-7 after a 10-16 start
Did not lose a quad 4 game.
UConn baseball does have some respect nationally with making the tournament.
If losing 2 extra inning games to 2 desperate teams with good résumé’s of their own is the reason they’re out after being a 2 seed and a “lock” for weeks then somethings not right.

Reaction Score
Positives
Won our league by 3 games (#7 RPI league to boot)
Won all 7 series in the league.
Finished 22-7 after a 10-16 start
Did not lose a quad 4 game.
UConn baseball does have some respect nationally with making the tournament.
If losing 2 extra inning games to 2 desperate teams with good résumé’s of their own is the reason they’re out after being a 2 seed and a “lock” for weeks then somethings not right.
Who told you they were “locks” for weeks? Not the Committee. Just a handful of people who post things on the internet. If you give them more weight than they deserve, guess who that’s on?

Reaction Score
Who told you they were “locks” for weeks? Not the Committee. Just a handful of people who post things on the internet. If you give them more weight than they deserve, guess who that’s on?
Even today they are 3 seeds in every outlet that covers baseball. Stop being a negative Nelly

Reaction Score
Even today they are 3 seeds in every outlet that covers baseball. Stop being a negative Nelly
Some people just desperately want to be right about this team not getting an at large bid

Reaction Score
Doubt they would win more than game in regional
Depends who shows up - Mr. Hyde or Dr. Jekyll! A lot of inconsistent play this year. Penders is one of the best, but he has to be frustrated as hell. Let's see what happens Monday and take it from there. It would be nice to get a bid and get some quick redemption. However, worse things could happen than enduring a reflective, humbling period of contemplation...

Reaction Score
He’s a lawyer…

The team has flaws and they could lose to anyone on on any given day but they could also go on a run. They aren’t the 2010, 11 or 22 team but they won more league games than anyone and the most since going back to the BE. Playing .700 baseball the last month and a half and are very resilient bunch. They were 10-16 and didn’t give up on each other. They deserve a shot.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Usually this time of year we are debating if there is a chance that the committee will grant UConn a regional to help promote Northeast Baseball. This year we are debating whether we will even get in....

....so maybe the College Basketball Gods will pull the ultimate irony on us this year...we get a 3 seed and upset the region to win...and the #3 team in the region we go up against next ends up pulling off the upset as well and is lower ranked then us....so we end up hosting a Super Regional. Could you imagine?

I know this is a scenario that will never happen....but if this did end up happening, how full do you think we could get Eliott for a Super Regional? I am thinking it would still be below 1,000 people unfortunately given the students are out and the still limited exposure for UConn Baseball. But I would love to see Eliott completely full with the grassy hills at capacity for a Super Regional sometime in my life, but not likely to be reality.

Reaction Score
Usually this time of year we are debating if there is a chance that the committee will grant UConn a regional to help promote Northeast Baseball. This year we are debating whether we will even get in....

....so maybe the College Basketball Gods will pull the ultimate irony on us this year...we get a 3 seed and upset the region to win...and the #3 team in the region we go up against next ends up pulling off the upset as well and is lower ranked then us....so we end up hosting a Super Regional. Could you imagine?

I know this is a scenario that will never happen....but if this did end up happening, how full do you think we could get Eliott for a Super Regional? I am thinking it would still be below 1,000 people unfortunately given the students are out and the still limited exposure for UConn Baseball. But I would love to see Eliott completely full with the grassy hills at capacity for a Super Regional sometime in my life, but not likely to be reality.
Not likely but if they do ever host a regional, 2k probably easily. With the hills etc 3k is more realistic. I believe that would garner quite a bit of interest from around the state. If they got anybody of substance like an LSU or Texas, upping that number to 3k (capacity unsure) would be accurate I think.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, it's not. College coaches are not the ones to be teaching that

That's asinine. Suggesting every HS kid moving to college should have mastered every fundamental is beyond moronic.

The kids still need to develop and yes it falls firmly on the college coaches to coach them up on their weaknesses.
And then it goes to minor league coached and major league coaches to keep teaching and refining those skills.

Reaction Score
That's asinine. Suggesting every HS kid moving to college should have mastered every fundamental is beyond moronic.

The kids still need to develop and yes it falls firmly on the college coaches to coach them up on their weaknesses.
And then it goes to minor league coached and major league coaches to keep teaching and refining those skills.
Not every fundamental, bunting specifically. When you're not being asked to bunt from the age of 5 all the way through 18 you're not going to be able to suddenly do it in college and it's dumb to blame kids when they can't do it. Coaches stopped teaching it because it's bad baseball

Reaction Score
The case for bunting as good baseball.

That said, as this only applies to pro ball, there's really no need for college coaches to teach it, unless they've got some light hitting track stars on the squad.
Yeah that's one of the scenarios where it makes sense to bunt. Though I still think as a coach I'd prefer to teach situational hitting. I'd rather a ball hit to the right side with some % chance of sneaking through and winning the game over a bunt and giving up an out. But that's just personal preference

Reaction Score

Asinine or moronic? I would think if you were attacking someone, you'd at least make up your mind as to the most appropriate adjective!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah that's one of the scenarios where it makes sense to bunt. Though I still think as a coach I'd prefer to teach situational hitting. I'd rather a ball hit to the right side with some % chance of sneaking through and winning the game over a bunt and giving up an out. But that's just personal preference
I do not have aggregate stats on this, but I'd argue that just like many hitters can't execute a bunt, neither can many hit oppo, as they're taught to pull for power. Obviously if you need more than one run, you hit away. But if only needing one, I'd go with my understanding of whether the batter I'm sending up can bunt or hit oppo before I make the call.

Reaction Score
UConn bunts runners over all the time - in years when they collectively are crushing the ball or not. It is definitely part of their game when others (and the pros) don’t give up outs much anymore. I think the point was some fundamental small ball has been lacking this year - bunting, stolen bases (and getting picked off), hitting behind runners, deep at-bats and getting runners in w/ less than two outs. They work on this constantly, but the execution has not been there. Coaching staff will say it falls on them, but they definitely teach and reteach skills and expect 1-9 in the lineup to execute. My frustration is seeing a lower-third hitter trying to pull slider after slider and taking a seat after a 4-pitch strikeout - with runners on. It is hard to unteach hero ball. Not singling anyone out, just have seen more of this than I’m used to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom