OT: The case for the Big East adding Gonzaga | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The case for the Big East adding Gonzaga

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment if not the details. The New Big East is about 75% nostalgia, especially for UConn fans. Most of the basketball is mediocre. Nobody plans their week around Seton Hall-Providence or Butler-Georgetown. Bringing in 2 more teams that are better than Butler, Georgetown and Providence but not as good as at least Marquette and Creighton, if not competitive with UConn, adds nothing but a couple of additional mouths to feed.

When a network is paying for the NEWBIE they are paying for 4. things:
1. UConn
2. The hope that Villanova somehow recovers the Wright stuff.
3. Nostalgia for the days long ago when UConn, Syracuse, Louisville and the like roamed the court and the league had several top 10 teams annually
4. Filler.

The size of the league and whether or not it plays a round robin are only relevant to #4.

Nobody wants VCU against Of Paul.

It does nothing for the Big East.

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment if not the details. The New Big East is about 75% nostalgia, especially for UConn fans. Most of the basketball is mediocre. Nobody plans their week around Seton Hall-Providence or Butler-Georgetown. Bringing in 2 more teams that are better than Butler, Georgetown and Providence but not as good as at least Marquette and Creighton, if not competitive with UConn, adds nothing but a couple of additional mouths to feed.

When a network is paying for the NEWBIE they are paying for 4. things:
1. UConn
2. The hope that Villanova somehow recovers the Wright stuff.
3. Nostalgia for the days long ago when UConn, Syracuse, Louisville and the like roamed the court and the league had several top 10 teams annually
4. Filler.

The size of the league and whether or not it plays a round robin are only relevant to #4.
Nostalgia for when Louisville was in the league?
Are you trolling us? Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville….
Louisville?

Reaction Score
Nostalgia for when Louisville was in the league?
Are you trolling us? Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville….
Louisville?
Yeah. You remember them. 3 National championships. 213-76 record over 8 years in the Big East. 2013 National Championship. Head coach you guys slobber over now that he is in the New Big East. They were no DePaul or Seton Hall but still they were pretty good.

Reaction Score
As an old guy..I do get nostalgia...I remember the day of Rollie Massimino at Nova upsetting John Thompson's Georgetown for the NC...you tend to think fondly of the past. All of these years later, when I think "Georgetown"..I think Thompson..Ewing vs Oljuwan in the Final...Micheal Jordan vs Ewing in the Final...

Louisville was a decent opponent at the time for the Huskies...11-6 record against UConn.

Reaction Score
As an old guy..I do get nostalgia...I remember the day of Rollie Massimino at Nova upsetting John Thompson's Georgetown for the NC...you tend to think fondly of the past. All of these years later, when I think "Georgetown"..I think Thompson..Ewing vs Oljuwan in the Final...Micheal Jordan vs Ewing in the Final...

Louisville was a decent opponent at the time for the Huskies...11-6 record against UConn.
Just to make you feel older, this season is the 40th anniversary of that Villanova game. At the time I doubt that anyone would have guessed that Villanova would have more championships than Georgetown and Houston.

Reaction Score
Yeah. You remember them. 3 National championships. 213-76 record over 8 years in the Big East. 2013 National Championship. Head coach you guys slobber over now that he is in the New Big East. They were no DePaul or Seton Hall but still they were pretty good.
You miss my point friend…. Nobody speaks of Louisville in Big East with any sort of nostalgia.

They were a sleezy program led by sleezy coach. How sleezy? They gave back one of those NC’s you’re bragging about.

By the time Louisville was in the league, the golden era of BE basketball was over

Reaction Score
You miss my point friend…. Nobody speaks of Louisville in Big East with any sort of nostalgia.

They were a sleezy program led by sleezy coach. How sleezy? They gave back one of those NC’s you’re bragging about.

By the time Louisville was in the league, the golden era of BE basketball was over
In addition 2013 was AAC

Reaction Score

If by over you mean in those 8 years only 2 Big East teams won the championship, had at least 1 team in the final four 5 times, had 2 there three times and had 6 different teams get to the Final Four, I guess we have a different definition. If you mean that during that era the Catholic schools not named Villanova began fading into irrelevance, where they remain today, then you are right.

Louisville was sleazy. There coach was and still is a sleaze ball. But we and they were intense rivals.

Reaction Score

the 16 school Big East was epic for both basketball and football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom