Nika in Seattle | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Nika in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the situation of the Seattle Storm, it is going to be $17.00; no, not as little as a buck thirty seven, but literally seventeen dollars!
Hmmm, so if everyone on the 11 man roster takes a $1.60 pay cut, then the team can fund a 12th player under the salary cap (less than a cup of coffee)? No, I don't like that solution. This is beyond ridiculous. The W needs to get their act together. Some of their problems are self-inflicted.

If they cut out the bag of 8 peanuts on their (future) chartered flights would this fund the 12th player?

Reaction Score
Hmmm, so if everyone on the 11 man roster takes a $1.60 pay cut, then the team can fund a 12th player under the salary cap (less than a cup of coffee)? No, I don't like that solution. This is beyond ridiculous. The W needs to get their act together. Some of their problems are self-inflicted.

If they cut out the bag of 8 peanuts on their (future) chartered flights would this fund the 12th player?

I think it means that they would be $17 over the hard cap if they go with a certain scenario and keep Nika instead of Jade Melbourne, still 11 players, not 12 players.

Reaction Score
Here is a link, it was in previous reply(s) earlier: Cohen Article

The article is not current, three players (Davis, Miller and Coates) have been cut since this was written. Those three were not really expected to make the team. There will be two more cut in order to keep under the salary cap, but they will not be allowed to cut three, as they must have at least 11 players on the final roster. Of the remaining players still in camp, four are Point Guards and three Centers; this seems like an excessive number for each of those positions given only an eleven-player roster.

The premises of the ‘Back 2 Sports’ YouTube video, as well as the article within this link, is that the Storm probably wishes to keep Nika and dismiss (1) a fourth string Point Guard (Kiana Williams or Jade Melbourne) and (2) the third string Center (Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu). Unfortunately, cutting any two from those three names, would not reduce the team salary enough. The best-case scenario of cutting two from those three names would still leave the total team salary $17 over the cap. One of those three names will almost certainly be cut, however the other must come from a player who is slated to make more money and Nika is among those players.

In essence, Nika is not in a competition against Williams and Melbourne, the other two point guards. Nika, due to salary cap, is in a direct competition against one of the forwards. Due to years of service and/or draft placement, Victoria Vivians, Joyner Holmes, and Nika Muhl would make slightly more money; one of those three will be cut because of it! A further unfortunate for Nika, the team has four forwards in camp, whereas they have six guards. In a team with only eleven players, they probably are going to want to keep the four forwards, but we will have to see.

I sincerely hope that they keep Nika and release one of the forwards, but I have no control of that. It would certainly be nice if she could reduce her salary by just a schmidlin, or even better if I could contribute seventeen bucks. I would wire transfer it right now, but that is not allowed either.

Reaction Score

The article is not current, three players (Davis, Miller and Coates) have been cut since this was written. Those three were not really expected to make the team. There will be two more cut in order to keep under the salary cap, but they will not be allowed to cut three, as they must have at least 11 players on the final roster. Of the remaining players still in camp, four are Point Guards and three Centers; this seems like an excessive number for each of those positions given only an eleven-player roster.

The premises of the ‘Back 2 Sports’ YouTube video, as well as the article within this link, is that the Storm probably wishes to keep Nika and dismiss (1) a fourth string Point Guard (Kiana Williams or Jade Melbourne) and (2) the third string Center (Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu). Unfortunately, cutting any two from those three names, would not reduce the team salary enough. The best-case scenario of cutting two from those three names would still leave the total team salary $17 over the cap. One of those three names will almost certainly be cut, however the other must come from a player who is slated to make more money and Nika is among those players.

In essence, Nika is not in a competition against Williams and Melbourne, the other two point guards. Nika, due to salary cap, is in a direct competition against one of the forwards. Due to years of service and/or draft placement, Victoria Vivians, Joyner Holmes, and Nika Muhl would make slightly more money; one of those three will be cut because of it! A further unfortunate for Nika, the team has four forwards in camp, whereas they have six guards. In a team with only eleven players, they probably are going to want to keep the four forwards, but we will have to see.

I sincerely hope that they keep Nika and release one of the forwards, but I have no control of that. It would certainly be nice if she could reduce her salary by just a schmidlin, or even better if I could contribute seventeen bucks. I would wire transfer it right now, but that is not allowed either.
I wonder whether a player's salary is reduced proportionately if she doesn't return from playing overseas by the start of the season? Also, couldn't the Storm trade a guard for a forward? Or a forward for another forward who is a better fit and earns slightly less? Or go down to 10 players and then pick up someone who is a good match, has been cut by another team, and fits under the salary cap? My overall point is the Storm's management is not as clueless or as helpless as many on this thread are making it out to be. I don't know whether any of my "what ifs" would work, but that is kinda the point. None of us who has weighed in so far understands the CBA on a granular level, much less is privy to the goals, desires, and strategy of Storm management.

Reaction Score
I wonder whether a player's salary is reduced proportionately if she doesn't return from playing overseas by the start of the season? Also, couldn't the Storm trade a guard for a forward? Or a forward for another forward who is a better fit and earns slightly less? Or go down to 10 players and then pick up someone who is a good match, has been cut by another team, and fits under the salary cap? My overall point is the Storm's management is not as clueless or as helpless as many on this thread are making it out to be. I don't know whether any of my "what ifs" would work, but that is kinda the point. None of us who has weighed in so far understands the CBA on a granular level, much less is privy to the goals, desires, and strategy of Storm management.

By the way, my previous response to your post, Dugway, was not meant to take issue with anything you said. Your post was well-researched, thoughtful, and carefully presented. I felt a lot smarter after reading it.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

In essence, ... Nika, due to salary cap, is in a direct competition against one of the forwards. Due to years of service and/or draft placement, Victoria Vivians, Joyner Holmes, and Nika Muhl would make slightly more money; one of those three will be cut because of it! ...
if you're right in this analysis, then ... bye, bye V.V. (i'd assume. since cause nika is a far, far more valuable asset to the franchise overall, if not the better ballplayer ... yet.)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This link doesn't work unless I add some random stuff, so copy the link and remove the space before ".com"

https://www.thenexthoops .com/wnba/seattle-storm/seattle-storm-notebook-mercedes-russell-nika-muhl-wnba/
Mühl comes to the WNBA ready to contribute, having played for a UConn program that has produced many professionals. The 28-year-old Russell returns to Seattle with renewed confidence after spending the offseason playing in Australia and winning the WNBL alongside Storm legend Lauren Jackson.

You never know how a rookie’s skill will translate to the professional level, but Mühl’s first week with the team has justified the excitement. She will probably take time to adjust fully, but in her first preseason game on Tuesday, she looked unfazed.
UConn pedigree here:
Whenever the whistle blows, Mühl is the first player jumping off the bench to high-five her teammates or gather them in a huddle. She is always encouraging and communicating. Mühl is far more vocal than the average rookie, and that is crucial for a point guard.
In the video, Mühl worried that she might not make the roster. Auriemma responded that she would know exactly what she needed to do after the first day of camp. In hindsight, Mühl feels he was completely right.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
if you're right in this analysis, then ... bye, bye V.V. (i'd assume. since cause nika is a far, far more valuable asset to the franchise overall, if not the better ballplayer ... yet.)
I agree that Vivians will probably get bumped because of the cap. Good enough to make it on merit, but likely a cap casualty.

Worth noting that she was signed as a free agent in late March, so no prior history with Seattle. They do have Horston and Whitcomb at the off guard, Whitcomb is guaranteed and Horston is coming off of a good rookie season with Seattle.

Nika will make it. The 11th spot will likely go to Melbourne unless they think they need more size, in which case Fankam Menjiadeu will squeeze in. I don’t see Williams making it.

The wild card is if they are able to swing a trade but under any scenario, Nika will be on the final roster.

Reaction Score
By the way, my previous response to your post, Dugway, was not meant to take issue with anything you said. Your post was well-researched, thoughtful, and carefully presented. I felt a lot smarter after reading it.
I am certainly not an expert on the WNBA contractual obligations, etc. it is however my understanding that the teams must have a minimum of eleven players on their roster on opening day and no more than twelve. Whether or not that eleventh is required to be present to play, I do not know. I believe that teams are absolutely allowed to have a player start late because they are playing in Europe, however they may still have to field 11; just do not know. Also don’t know if by starting late, their salary is deducted and if also deducted from the team cap?

Injuries also happen in the W! Players get cut on the last day of camp, and are playing for another team two weeks later. As I recall Evina Westbrook had this happen to her. Cut by the same Seattle Storm team at the last minute, picked up and played for the Lynx and then cut when their player got healthy, transferred then to the Mystic; all in her rookie season.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As discussed above, I think the solution is to trade (or waive) VV and pick up a similar talent from another team. The WNBA is a business, and I think other considerations besides one player's talents should win the day.

Put another way, I don't think VV's talents would make a difference in the long run of things (i.e., a full season), so go with a player with outstanding potential who will be a great ambassador for the franchise.

Reaction Score

Dugway- - -I've never been a fan of Joyner Holmes!
I'd cut her to keep Nika!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With just 144 precious roster spots available, many teams only filling 11/12 spots and many talented WBB players desperate to make it in the W, just how low should players be forced to go before we are no longer talking about “Capitalism” but rather “Exploitation?”
How about to the negotiated minimum first year salary? The differential we are talking about here is $3000. If a player chose to forgo that in order to play, rather than be arbitrarily excluded by a wage cap, your position is that you should make that decision, rather than them? Talk about exploitation!

Remember that all this is due to the player negotiated CBA. In essence teams may be "forced" not to hire people due to an arbitrary and an apparently in flexible agreement. It's easy to sit at home and type how righteous that is, but if you are the kid who doesn't get their shot because of it you might have a different worldview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom