May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 2 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Proving that you can hit the three can really open up the court for a team. I don't know if Becky will treat that game as a fluke performance, but there are a handful of players on that Mercury squad who aren't known to be fluky shooters from distance.

Also, Allen, Cloud, and Copper are massive upgrades defensively for Phoenix's perimeter personnel.
I'm just saying there is a certain amount of randomness in shooting % from game to game, especially from distance.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I'm just saying there is a certain amount of randomness in shooting % from game to game, especially from distance.
And I'm saying that the issues that Phoenix presents go beyond potentially hot 3-point shooting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And I'm saying that the issues that Phoenix presents go beyond potentially hot 3-point shooting.
Well...I doubt Phoenix goes 15-36 and LV 6-29 from 3 in the next game. That had a massive impact on the score. I feel pretty comfortable saying the Aces will win the next match up as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well Indiana looking much, much better in game 4. Thought they might pull out a W, but completely collapsing last minute or so. Still nice to see them very competitive against the Connecticut team that beat them badly about a week ago. Getting Mitchell in the starting lineup is big. Fagbenle has been giving them great minutes tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Boston blew a layup that would've tied it w/ 5 seconds left. There was a defender in the vicinity but it wasn't that tightly contested. Gotta make that one. Sun win by 4. Close but not quite.

Reaction Score
Heard them say that A Thomas and Bonner are engaged. I know it’s not the first, but teammates in a relationship is a complication we haven’t seen in other sports.

Reaction Score
The Clark take foul and subsequent technical after a turnover was a brutal sequence. Although Bonner missed one of the FTs, gifting the opponent 2 foul shots plus the ball in 4th quarter crunch time is tough. Although, she’s looking far more comfortable which is good to see. The fever need to make more of an effort to run actions that get her clean looks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I am so tired of seeing A. Thomas knocking opponents over like bowling pins on both ends of the court and never getting called for a foul, and if you even think about trying to play defense against her you'll get the whistle. So ridiculously uneven the way refs officiate everything having to do with her. Can she retire already? She is really good, but I don't like her, I don't like the way she plays, and I can't stand what the refs let her get away with.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am so tired of seeing A. Thomas knocking opponents over like bowling pins on both ends of the court and never getting called for a foul, and if you even think about trying to play defense against her you'll get the whistle. So ridiculously uneven the way refs officiate everything having to do with her. Can she retire already? She is really good, but I don't like her, I don't like the way she plays, and I can't stand what the refs let her get away with.
This drove me nuts tonight. Blatantly leads with the shoulder but literally always gets every call to go her way. She's a great player but it's frustrating to watch her get preferential treatment, plus she whines to the refs all game too.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The Clark take foul and subsequent technical after a turnover was a brutal sequence. Although Bonner missed one of the FTs, gifting the opponent 2 foul shots plus the ball in 4th quarter crunch time is tough. Although, she’s looking far more comfortable which is good to see. The fever need to make more of an effort to run actions that get her clean looks.
Scoring isn't a big problem for CC or the team but she (and they) need to cut down on those turnovers. 5 more for her tonight. They won't start winning until they fix that.

Reaction Score
Gotta say that, except for a few flashes, Fever generally looked better when Clark was on the bench. Hopefully she develops some defensive skills. Kelsey Mitchell and Fagbenle looked really good.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Heard them say that A Thomas and Bonner are engaged. I know it’s not the first, but teammates in a relationship is a complication we haven’t seen in other sports.
The USWNT (soccer) has had teammates in relationships.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
By contrast, I'm still shaking my head that the refs "confirmed" the foul call on Fagbenle knock Ty Harris when Harris was setting a screen. Or, more to the point, starting to set a screen. She was still sliding her foot going into the set and last I checked, you've got to have those lets set. (At this point in my nearly 60+ years of playing hoops, I set a lot of screens and know I've got to have those feet set.).

Just why do the refs have these replays when they come up with definitive calls when anybody else watching the same feeds are more open to discussion. (The same thing happened ona crucial no-call in a lacrosse game I watched yesterday.)

As for Thomas, since she's an established player, her physical nature seems to be acceptable even if most other players would be called for offensive fouls. More than a bit obvious at this point.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Best game (by far) for the Fever this year. I will say, the amount of improvement from the first 2 games to the last 2 is huge. They could've won this game tonight if just a couple of things go differently (opening sequence kicked ball gets called, or if Boston didn't miss the layup late).

Everyone played well for Indiana tonight aside from KLS (who wasn't awful, she just didn't do much out there). Defense is still a problem though. Clark got cooked by Ty Harris in the second half and kept going under screens and no one did anything to stop Alyssa Thomas in the first half (mostly Smith to blame). The offense looks much better though. Better spacing and ball movement. Connecticut is a legitimate title contender this year so not a bad loss, though I'm sure the team is frustrated.

In regards to Clark, for as much talk about her having a learning curve that'll take time, she's averaging 17 points, 5.5 assists and 4 rebounds per game so far which is stellar. TOs are high but are improving (as is her FG efficiency, up to 41% FG, 34% from 3) and most important, the chemistry with her teammates is developing each night.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
It's beyond annoying, but the refs aren't going to do anything about it. She's gunning for MVP because at 32 (same age that Catch was when she won; Fowles was turning 32 the same year that she won), this may be her last legit shot at it.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Best game (by far) for the Fever this year. I will say, the amount of improvement from the first 2 games to the last 2 is huge. They could've won this game tonight if just a couple of things go differently (opening sequence kicked ball gets called, or if Boston didn't miss the layup late).

Everyone played well for Indiana tonight aside from KLS (who wasn't awful, she just didn't do much out there). Defense is still a problem though. Clark got cooked by Ty Harris in the second half and kept going under screens and no one did anything to stop Alyssa Thomas in the first half (mostly Smith to blame). The offense looks much better though. Better spacing and ball movement. Connecticut is a legitimate title contender this year so not a bad loss, though I'm sure the team is frustrated.
Agreed. They may just have to embrace the "all offense, not so much defense" mentality to win a few games when the schedule softens. That said, I would imagine that they can compete with a poor-shooting Storm team and the also winless (to this point) Sparks.

In regards to Clark, for as much talk about her having a learning curve that'll take time, she's averaging 17 points, 5.5 assists and 4 rebounds per game so far which is stellar. TOs are high but are improving (as is her FG efficiency, up to 41% FG, 34% from 3) and most important, the chemistry with her teammates is developing each night.
Can this comment be pinned, bolded, underlined, and starred? Because if any other rookie posted these averages after playing against NY (x2) and Connecticut (x2) ONLY at this point of the season, we'd be talking about their induction into the Basketball HOF.

Reaction Score
Gotta say that, except for a few flashes, Fever generally looked better when Clark was on the bench. Hopefully she develops some defensive skills. Kelsey Mitchell and Fagbenle looked really good.
You are correct, and her -18 in a 4 point loss supports your claim. I’m neither a fan or a hater of hers, but as a long time fan of the sport I have to admit she’s really intriguing. She can score, nobody doubts that. But does she have other qualities to impact winning? Even though this should theoretically be the worst she looks in the W, you want to see a franchise who got a number one pick improve on their “games won” the season the number one pick arrives. Will that happen this year?

Reaction Score
@Vowelguy
Pretty sure this was public knowledge during last year's playoffs.
Plus, 'Sloot and Quigley were a couple when they were on the Sky.
Yes I know. I noted this has occurred before.
It’s just a challenge.

No company wants a married couple working together. This is even more complicated!
I recall a few NBA teams with brothers, and there were hard feelings when one got traded.

Reaction Score
That is the reason Connecticut will never win a × WNBA title. They play very physical basketball, and officials won't call everything.
But when you get to the playoffs playing better teams with the best refs, there are more fouls called.
The WNBA needs to get rid of the ultra physical style of play. The WNBA shouldn't be WWE lite.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Gotta shout out the 16 HUGE points by Gamecock Ty Harris!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom