Jersey numbers announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jersey numbers announced

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
History of the numbers -

8 - none (used to be illegal)

10 - Laura Lishness, Missy Rose, Sue Bird, Molly Bent, Nika Mühl

11 - Krista Blomquist*, Debbie Baer*, Kelly Schumacher, Ketia Swanier, Samarie Walker, Briana Pulido*, Kia Nurse, Mir McLean, Lou Lopez Senechal

20 - Sandra Gavin, Kathy Bantley, Colleen Healy, Stacy Hansmeyer, Morgan Valley, Renee Montgomery, Tierney Lawlor, Olivia Nelson-Ododa

21 - Heidi Robbins, Orly Grossman, Jennifer Rizzotti, Nicole Wolff, Heather Buck*, Inês Bettencourt

23 - Leslie Waugh, Francine Pechnik, Audrey Epstein, Jill Brumbaugh*, Shannon Saunders, Heather Phillips, Rita Williams, Swin Cash*, Kennitra Johnson, Willnett Crockett, Maya Moore, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Azurá Stevens
All of thee numbers except 8 at least once, was worn by an all-American. that sets the bar pretty high.

Reaction Score
History of the numbers -

8 - none (used to be illegal)

10 - Laura Lishness, Missy Rose, Sue Bird, Molly Bent, Nika Mühl

11 - Krista Blomquist*, Debbie Baer*, Kelly Schumacher, Ketia Swanier, Samarie Walker, Briana Pulido*, Kia Nurse, Mir McLean, Lou Lopez Senechal

20 - Sandra Gavin, Kathy Bantley, Colleen Healy, Stacy Hansmeyer, Morgan Valley, Renee Montgomery, Tierney Lawlor, Olivia Nelson-Ododa

21 - Heidi Robbins, Orly Grossman, Jennifer Rizzotti, Nicole Wolff, Heather Buck*, Inês Bettencourt

23 - Leslie Waugh, Francine Pechnik, Audrey Epstein, Jill Brumbaugh*, Shannon Saunders, Heather Phillips, Rita Williams, Swin Cash*, Kennitra Johnson, Willnett Crockett, Maya Moore, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Azurá Stevens
What do the asterisks signify ??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought Nika would be the last #10. I hope Q makes it memorable.
Q is so talented. Assuming she is working over the summer, which I have no reason to believe she isn't, she could be one of those kids who take a gigantic sophomore jump.

Reaction Score
Is longevity a consideration for retiring a number or should it be based on overall stats? I think I would agree that Breanna Stewart is on her way toward being one of the all time greats from UConn who also had great success in the WNBA. With Maya I think she was great but did she play long enough for her stats to get her into the HOF?

It is interesting to me that the stats of players who are considered the best to ever play in the WNBA are so average. Sue Bird who I think is a great point guard averaged around 11 points and 5.5 assists for her career. Is that great? It seems by the WNBA standard it is but it still surprised me a little. Diana Taurasi has average 19 points in her career which is great but around 4 rebounds a game and 3 assists. Is that great? Again I really thought her numbers would be way higher on the stats that weren't points. Even her shooting percentage was average.

UConn clearly has the most decorated players in WNBA history and many of those players also had great college careers. Being recognized for their contribution to UConn is deserving but does it have to be the retiring of a jersey?

Reaction Score
Is longevity a consideration for retiring a number or should it be based on overall stats? I think I would agree that Breanna Stewart is on her way toward being one of the all time greats from UConn who also had great success in the WNBA. With Maya I think she was great but did she play long enough for her stats to get her into the HOF?

It is interesting to me that the stats of players who are considered the best to ever play in the WNBA are so average. Sue Bird who I think is a great point guard averaged around 11 points and 5.5 assists for her career. Is that great? It seems by the WNBA standard it is but it still surprised me a little. Diana Taurasi has average 19 points in her career which is great but around 4 rebounds a game and 3 assists. Is that great? Again I really thought her numbers would be way higher on the stats that weren't points. Even her shooting percentage was average.

UConn clearly has the most decorated players in WNBA history and many of those players also had great college careers. Being recognized for their contribution to UConn is deserving but does it have to be the retiring of a jersey?
As far as we know the only requirement for retiring a number is that player has to be in the hall of fame.

Jim

Reaction Score
I thought Nika would be the last #10. I hope Q makes it memorable.
Did Q get Nika's permission to wear #10? I thought it was tradition to ask the last player to wear a number for her permission to wear a previously worn number again. Some traditions (like no names on the back, only Connecticut/UConn on the front) are worth keeping.

Reaction Score
Did Q get Nika's permission to wear #10? I thought it was tradition to ask the last player to wear a number for her permission to wear a previously worn number again. Some traditions (like no names on the back, only Connecticut/UConn on the front) are worth keeping.
See Post 16 of this thread.

Reaction Score
I recall hearing that Morgan Cheli admired Larry Bird's game (which she could only have seen in archives), and thus wore #33 in high school. Katie Lou and Caroline shared the same admiration and the same number preference. Therefore, I suspect that Morgan would have liked to get #33, but she has to wait at least until Caroline moves on before she can have that number.

So, by taking #23, she is promising to be a mixture of Michael Jordan and Maya Moore. No pressure ...
That Jordan guy was ok ! But for an all around great person, great player, with "return to society" mentality, and the nicest ever Maya Moore--you can't beat that for NUMBERS.
Anne Strothers was a runner up to Maya for Nice person. at Uconn. I'd give points to Shades in that category.

Kat

Reaction Score
I like that players want a number that has been worn by past stars of this team. It shows respect and a commitment to excel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom