I was there when (rules in thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
A few cool moments:

1994 - Donyell 360 dunk vs Seton Hall in Gampel.

2001 - Game 5 World Series - Yankees down 2 in the bottom of ninth and Scott Brosius hits 2 run HR to tie (after Tino did the same thing the game before) and then Soriano plates Knoblauch in the 12th. Was so crazy loud there.

2002 - When UConn scored 9 points against UMass and came back in the second half. That was a swing of emotions.

2004 - San Antonio

2010 - David Garrard Hail Mary to beat Texans in Jacksonville. Bonus is the Gus Johnson call which I didn't hear until home.

2023 - Jaguars playoff comeback vs Chargers after being down 27-0 in the first half to win on FG as time expired 31-30.
The 9-point first half game v UMass may be one of my all-time favorite single games (which I attended) for simply being a wild game, and does not get enough attention here. Down 34-9 in the first half, they comeback and outscore UMass 50-14 in the second half. Rashad as a freshman was lights out from 3 in the second half.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Yaz 3,000th hit at Fenway against the Yankees. Last game I went to with my father before he died (my father, not Yaz). Sox won.
9/6/06 Anibel Sanchez no hitter in Miami.
6 OT game at the Garden
I was at Wintrust arena 2024 when Clingan picked two early fouls against DePaul. He went to the bench and Spencer told him to knock that @#$& off. Clingan never got four fouls in a game the rest of the season until the Natty game.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
9/6/06 Anibel Sanchez no hitter in Miami.
6 OT game at the Garden
I was at Wintrust arena 2024 when Clingan picked two early fouls against DePaul. He went to the bench and Spencer told him to knock that @#$& off. Clingan never got four fouls in a game the rest of the season until the Natty game.

In a late season game, maybe post season, Spencer was jawing at an opponent just as a time out was called. He said something, pointed to the scoreboard, then turned and let out a primal scream, yelling "LET'S GO!" and walked to the UConn bench.

That's the exact moment I believed they had a great chance of winning it all, AGAIN.

Whatever recipe Hurley thought up as he put the '23/'24 team together, Spencer was the secret ingredient. Every other starter was a known quantity.

UConn doesn't repeat without Spencer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just had a freak out moment when I saw 2018. I'm assuming 2008. Either way, I remember that last season. What a weird time for Mets fans. They all hated Shea but were so upset to see it go. I know I'll always miss those cheesy neon players on the outside structure.
Sorry. Sept 27, 2008.

Reaction Score
The Bill Buckner WS game. I was 15, hated both teams (diehard Yanks fan), but my dad had scored some tickets. Will never forget how crazy that place was....

Yanks vs Seattle, Game 2 of 95 playoffs (Leyritz walk-off in the 15th)

First game at Gampel

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m not a Musberger fan to put it mildly.
I've mentioned this before, but not in awhile. I was taking a leak at Bobby V's in Norwalk and noticed the guy peeing next to me was Brent Musburger. I did not say anything to him or bother him in any way.

However. I did note that he didn't wash his hands afterwards.

Reaction Score
I was at Shea Stadium to see the Jets play someone, not sure what year but probably in mid-late 70s. At half-time, there was a demonstration of household items that had been turned into flying machines and were being propelled all around the stadium not too far from the people below. It was cool. One item going around in the air, through the goal posts, and doing circuits of the stadium was a 21-inch lawnmower. It was at the far end of the stadium when I saw it suddenly plunge down and land in the stands. I checked newspaper accounts for the next few days, and there did appear a short article mentioning how some fan had been killed by a falling object at the game. Glad I was at the other end!

Reaction Score
I was at a few classics, and a few of my own classics (not known to others). Some, in no particular order.
  • Gooden no hitter. In the bleachers. Didn't even know it was a no hitter until the 6th because there were some walks and errors and you couldn't see the scoreboard easily.
  • Shaq breaking the basket (not just the backboard) at the Nets. Pretty epic.
  • Opening night at Gampel.
  • Game 4, 2001 World Series. Crazy times in the NY area. My apartment overlooked the twin towers. I got tix for the game from a friend, partially because nobody wanted to be in such a crowded place. We stayed until the end and watched Tino tie it up in the bottom of the 9th and Jeter win it in the 10th.
  • 1999 NLDS Game 4. I'm not a Mets fan, but a friend got us tix from a boss. We were right behind the plate and may have been the only non-family members in the section. Leiter had a no hitter for a while and one friend kept mentioning it. We told him to shut up. He kept saying he has no power to jinx a no hitter. Next pitch, hit. The woman next to us says, "you really aren't supposed to talk about it" and the big guy next to her just glared at us. That was Mrs. Al Leiter and her brother-in-law Mark.
  • UConn beating Butler for the 2011 Championship.
  • Jets vs. Dolphins in 2000. Jets come back from a 30-7 4th quarter deficit.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
August 4, 1985 - Tom Seaver's 300th win, White Sox beat the Yanks 4-1 with Seaver throwing a complete game
September 4, 1993 - Jim Abbott throws a no-hitter against Cleveland on my wife's birthday. I had called ahead to get her a Happy Birthday wish on the scoreboard.
October 23, 1996 - Had moved to Atlanta earlier in the year and the wife and I decided to take the day off from work, head down to Fulton County Stadium and try to nab a pair to see if the Yanks could tie up the series. It didn't look good going into the 8th, down 3 and Mark Wohlers coming in for the save. After a couple cheap hits and a booted grounder that should have been a double play, Jim Leyritz steps up and drills a line drive just clearing the left field wall to tie the game. They go on to win in 10 innings, with Boggs getting a go-ahead bases loaded walk, and the Yanks go on to win the series in six after losing the first two.

Reaction Score
For UConn the '14 and '24 elite 8 games which in my mind are labeled the Niels Giffey dunk game and the 30-0 run game.

For the random in-season right place right time games, they're all baseball:

6/6/1993: Mariners - Orioles brawl with 7 suspensions and a broken collarbone, nearly saw Ripken's Iron man streak break with a sprained knee. It was the 2nd baseball game I went to.
7/2/1997: Bill Clinton attended the second ever interleague game for Phillies & Orioles and had a press conference before hand.
8/20/1998: Mark McGwire became the first player to hit 50 home runs in 3 consecutive seasons against the Mets at Shea. I was 15 then and it doesn't resonate now but at the time the Sosa-McGwire home run chase was intense.
5/12/2009: First streaker at Citifield
6/9/2015: Chris Heston no-hitter at Citifield.

I doubt anyone remembers any of these but they're big mileposts in my history of baseball fandom.

Reaction Score
2013 - David Ortiz grand slam off Joaquin Benoit that changed that series with Hunter flipping over the wall

2018? - At national championship game where Tua came off the bench to lead Bama over UGA in OT

Both absolutely wild atmospheres

Reaction Score
I was at Yaz Day in Fenway but that was an expected event as we went to both games that weekend and saw Chico Walker replace Yaz in leftfield.

In addition to that my brother and I traveled to Memorial Stadium on a rainy Saturday night in 1983 to see one of Yaz's last games in Baltimore. We were lucky that the game was played. The memorable event was that Yaz ended up on first by hit or walk ( I can't remember) and then was picked off first. I can't believe that Baltimore even threw over to pick off the 43 year old Yaz.

Reaction Score
For UConn the '14 and '24 elite 8 games which in my mind are labeled the Niels Giffey dunk game and the 30-0 run game.

For the random in-season right place right time games, they're all baseball:

6/6/1993: Mariners - Orioles brawl with 7 suspensions and a broken collarbone, nearly saw Ripken's Iron man streak break with a sprained knee. It was the 2nd baseball game I went to.
7/2/1997: Bill Clinton attended the second ever interleague game for Phillies & Orioles and had a press conference before hand.
8/20/1998: Mark McGwire became the first player to hit 50 home runs in 3 consecutive seasons against the Mets at Shea. I was 15 then and it doesn't resonate now but at the time the Sosa-McGwire home run chase was intense.
5/12/2009: First streaker at Citifield
6/9/2015: Chris Heston no-hitter at Citifield.

I doubt anyone remembers any of these but they're big mileposts in my history of baseball fandom.
Everyone watched that home run chase. I was a sophomore at uconn, living in the jungle and every dorm room, on every floor, guys or girls, had the game on when mac hit 62.

Reaction Score
July 17, 1990. Bo Jackson hits three home runs for the Royals at Yankee Stadium in his first three at bats. Crowd gave him a standing ovation as he trotted out to center field after the third one. But Jackson hurt his shoulder trying to make a catch on Deion Sanders inside the park home run and never got a fourth at bat.

Reaction Score
Nothing that impressive but since you asked…

1) Last game at Yankee Stadium
2) Oakland Coliseum for “The Flip” (Jeter’s play at home to get Giambi out)
3) Last game the Jets played at Shea (which also happened to be Terry Bradshaw’s last game)
4) Game 4 when the Yankees swept the Braves in the 1999 World Series

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nothing that impressive but since you asked…

3) Last game the Jets played at Shea (which also happened to be Terry Bradshaw’s last game)
I was at that too, which is kinda funny since I live in Pittsburgh now and I'm pretty much the only person I know who saw Bradshaw's last game live. We were down in the field boxes and getting high as hell with the folks behind us. Nobody was bothering us for smoking joints, which I found incredible. And we were close enough to jump the rail and grab a piece of turf at the end. Tried to replant it, but it never took.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was at that too, which is kinda funny since I live in Pittsburgh now and I'm pretty much the only person I know who saw Bradshaw's last game live. We were down in the field boxes and getting high as hell with the folks behind us. Nobody was bothering us for smoking joints, which I found incredible. And we were close enough to jump the rail and grab a piece of turf at the end. Tried to replant it, but it never took.
I was also at that game, took my seat with me.

Wasn't a Jet fan but got kind of guilted into being part of a group that had season tickets for more than a decade at that point.

Wasn't planning on taking any souvenirs but as the game ended, and the place was emptying out, a couple of huge (each had to be close to 300 lbs, not in shape by any means) started kicking at the seats from the stairs and after a few good shots, the metal separated from the plastic seats. I saw mine on the concrete so I took it.

SR, we need to talk. Back then I occasionally went to the games with some friends who were from Springdale, I'm wondering if you were part of that group

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SR, we need to talk. Back then I occasionally went to the games with some friends who were from Springdale, I'm wondering if you were part of that group
Probably not me. While I was a Jets fan, I think I only went to 5 games,3 at Shea. I was actually with friends who were part of a Giants season plan, so our group got one game a year. Decent seats but usually against crap teams, and the Giants were mostly terrible then anyway, and nobody scored more than 20, lol.

But I did get to see one of the classic Marino v O'Brien games with 90+ points and 1000 passing yards. Jets won that one on late TD to Walker. If only O'Beien played like that all the time.

fwiw, I graduated SHS in 74, so you have an age reference. While I probably wouldn't know your paps, my younger brother might. He knew everybody.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Probably not me. While I was a Jets fan, I think I only went to 5 games,3 at Shea. I was actually with friends who were part of a Giants season plan, so our group got one game a year. Decent seats but usually against crap teams, and the Giants were mostly terrible then anyway, and nobody scored more than 20, lol.

But I did get to see one of the classic Marino v O'Brien games with 90+ points and 1000 passing yards. Jets won that one on late TD to Walker. If only O'Beien played like that all the time.

fwiw, I graduated SHS in 74, so you have an age reference. While I probably wouldn't know your paps, my younger brother might. He knew everybody.
I was SHS class of 1978.

The group I was talking about had five brothers (born anywhere from 1957-1963) a couple cousins (a little older than the oldest brother) and a couple friends (both a few years older than me). Went with them maybe three times. They rented a passenger van that had a ton of room and by the end would bring a keg with them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was SHS class of 1978.

The group I was talking about had five brothers (born anywhere from 1957-1963) a couple cousins (a little older than the oldest brother) and a couple friends (both a few years older than me). Went with them maybe three times. They rented a passenger van that had a ton of room and by the end would bring a keg with them.
We had a couple big families on our block, but not Jets fans. Did you know any of the Laskos or Barcellos?

Reaction Score
My wife and I took her niece and nephew to a random Red Sox game at Fenway and the Minnesota Twins turned two triple plays. I believe it is still the only time in MLB history, July 17, 1990.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
At Yankee Stadium, when 2 fans ran out into center field to beat up Jimmy Piersall. Mickey Mantle was on first base, and he ran out to help Jimmy. Jimmy chased them off himself, and kicked one of them in the rear as he was climbing back into the right field stands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom