I was there when (rules in thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
Last minute decision to take my Dad to a Saturday night Yankees Game, Got upper deck seats by the left field foul pole. Saw Ron Guidry's 19 strikeout game against the Cal Angels (Yankees team strikeout record).
Summer of 1985: Wife & I decided to take my grandmother to a Thursday matinee Yankees game & saw Deion Sanders slug a homer in his brief stint in pinstripes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was in Duluth for a quick biz trip summer of 1997. Friendliest city I've ever been to. Was only there for 2 days/1 night, so asked about what to do for fun. "Go to the baseball game," was the common reply. So I did. And it was Ila Borders' first professional win, over Sioux Falls, first woman to do so at any level of professional integrated baseball.

Reaction Score
Was in Duluth for a quick biz trip summer of 1997. Friendliest city I've ever been to. Was only there for 2 days/1 night, so asked about what to do for fun. "Go to the baseball game," was the common reply. So I did. And it was Ila Borders' first professional win, over Sioux Falls, first woman to do so at any level of professional integrated baseball.
I was there at the masters when norman imploded and lost to faldo. Remember standing 10 feet from him as he teed off 11 to begin amen corner. Found out from a buddy who played professional golf what happened the night before. Apparently norman was flying via helicopter to his yacht in savannah for lodging. That evening his wife decided to surprise him and caught him with his bimbos. Apparently he got no sleep that night.

Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned - Along with about 4,000 of my closest friends, I was at the famous 35-32 slow down game against heavily favored Rhode Island in 1970. 9-7 at the half. Three UConn players (two starters and the first guy off the bench) were suspended for some off the court "shenanigans" earlier in the week. Little used sophomore Doug Melody was the primary ball handler and ran the four corners beautifully. That was Dee Rowe's first year. He always said his biggest mistake was to win 14 games his first year (following a 5-19 season the year before his arrival). The Huskies were sub .500 the next two years before they turned it around.

Also saw "well past his prime" Michael Jordan score 45 points for the Wizards against the Nets on New Years Eve in 2001. Was visiting family in Northern Virginia and my brother got us some tickets.
My dad was at UConn the same time as you it seems (68-72). I asked him about it just now and he said he remembers that game but especially remembers Doug: my dad's best friend at uconn was also HS buddies with Doug. Either way, all of these memories from your guys' class seem to be shared by all alum. There seems to be a collective consciousness from the early 70s classes. Seems like a pretty great time to have been a Husky.

Reaction Score
I was at the last win at Shea Stadium. 10/13/2018

Santana took the mound on 3 days rest and pitched a complete game shut out in a must win game against the Marlins.

117 pitches, 9 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 9 K

They lost the last game of the season and were eliminated from the postseason.

Reaction Score

Santana took the mound on 3 days rest and pitched a complete game shut out in a must win game against the Marlins.

I just had a freak out moment when I saw 2018. I'm assuming 2008. Either way, I remember that last season. What a weird time for Mets fans. They all hated Shea but were so upset to see it go. I know I'll always miss those cheesy neon players on the outside structure.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
I was at the 1976 Chambliss walk off homer game 5 when the Yankees defeated George Brett (late three run homer to tie the game in the 8th I think) and the Royals to get their ticket punched to the World Series. It fits here because I’m not a Yankee fans and I had no idea I’d be at the game the day before. I was 14 and my mom’s boss invited her. I don’t know how she pulled that off as this wasn’t some mid week regular season game. The stadium was electric all game and erupted when Chambliss connected. In the aftermath everything was gone from the field. All the bases including home plate, the pitcher’s rubber and there were even the large blue, padded outfield panels on the ground. Did someone think they could take them home unnoticed?

My brother, also not a Yankees fan, was in the stands along the first base line when Billy Martin decided to pull Reggie Jackson from the game mid inning and Reggie raced in to confront Martin setting off all kinds of fire works.

Some live disappointments because I love watching great center fielders were Chet Lemon getting tossed in the top half of the first for arguing strike calls at Fenway and Griffey Jr being the DH and not playing CF at Camden Yards. He struck out three times!

Reaction Score
March 15, 1992 at the old Boston Garden.

Larry Bird’s last triple double in a 2OT 152-148 thriller over the Portland Trailblazers. He ended up with 49 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists, the highest scoring triple double of his career. Bird hit a last-second leaning, awkward 3-pointer at the end of regulation to send the game into OT. Clyde Drexler put up 41 points and 11 assists.

Reaction Score
I was there, right behind the basket, when Shabazz Napier hit the last second shot to beat Florida in 2014. When the shot went up, it felt like slow motion slowly going to the basket. When the ball went through, back to real time. Bedlam!!!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I forgot this crazy one, I was at the Jets Pats game at Shea Stadium when the halftime show went awry, the radio controlled flying lawn mower (a radio controlled model airplane) crashed into the crowd, killing 1 and seriously injuring another. Nuts! The Flying Lawnmower that Killed a Man

Reaction Score
In September of 2017 went to Texas to see a Yankees-Rangers game and a Giants-Cowboys (first game of the NFL season) game on the same day.

In the baseball game Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez hit 2 hrs each the Yankees scored 18 runs.

Walk over to Cowboy stadium, one of the few venues you can see both games, walking distance wise. Cowboys beat Giants 19-3 game was very boring but the atmosphere was very electric was watching in standing room tickets. There were a lot of Yankee-Cowboys fans at both venues.

Cowboys were very friendly Jerrys world is definetly a tourist attraction, was able to take a tour of the place the day before and be on the field that stadium is over whelming being under the huge jumbo tron.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Forgot about being in the house for our win vs ND in front of Touchdown Jesus.

And was inside the Big House when Denard Robinson seemed to run for about 500 yards as Michigan gave us an over the knee spanking in front of the largest college football crowd ever at the time.

Reaction Score
Saw Pedro Martinez throw an old man by the face one time.
I was there too. Had a beer poured on me as a 14 yr old because I was wearing a 1999 Yanks WS shirt...but its what my parents taught me to expect living amongst Sox Fans/Massholes. (Best part was driving home after the game and laughing at the Cowboy-Up signs on I-90).

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
A few cool moments:

1994 - Donyell 360 dunk vs Seton Hall in Gampel.

2001 - Game 5 World Series - Yankees down 2 in the bottom of ninth and Scott Brosius hits 2 run HR to tie (after Tino did the same thing the game before) and then Soriano plates Knoblauch in the 12th. Was so crazy loud there.

2002 - When UConn scored 9 points against UMass and came back in the second half. That was a swing of emotions.

2004 - San Antonio

2010 - David Garrard Hail Mary to beat Texans in Jacksonville. Bonus is the Gus Johnson call which I didn't hear until home.

2023 - Jaguars playoff comeback vs Chargers after being down 27-0 in the first half to win on FG as time expired 31-30.

Reaction Score
‘90 Big East Semis against GTown. Arrived early and yelled across an empty arena at Brent Musburger who barely acknowledged the team that year (he was knocked off his perch by CBS weeks later, replaced by Jim Nantz).

A great win against a team that spanked the boys handily at the Cap Center the week before after the famous UConn win in January.

Reaction Score
I was there too. Had a beer poured on me as a 14 yr old because I was wearing a 1999 Yanks WS shirt...but its what my parents taught me to expect living amongst Sox Fans/Massholes. (Best part was driving home after the game and laughing at the Cowboy-Up signs on I-90).
Wow!!! Cowboy up. I can't believe that was a thing.

I had a similar thing happen at a Jets broncos game. I'm a broncos fan and i was a 10 year old in my broncos wool hat. Some drunk jet fan ripped it off my head and started passing it around the stands, until...a 6'8" monster in an Elway jersey stood up, ripped it out of a jets fans hand walked it down to me, glaring at the dudes as he went back to his seat. I still own that hat.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, this should be the only rule.

If you went to USA/Russia olympic hockey in 1980, you win.

I didn't but if I could attend any sporting event in time and space, that would be it. My favorite game I attended was UConn/BCU in the Garden, NIT semi-final. Dana Barros is killing us. Calhoun put Lyman DePriest on Barros. LD simply shuts him off. Buries him. We win. We win the the next night. It's the first real glow of the national spotlight and start of the Calhoun climb to greatness. The birth of the modern Huskies.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
‘90 Big East Semis against GTown. Arrived early and yelled across an empty arena at Brent Musburger who barely acknowledged the team that year (he was knocked off his perch by CBS weeks later, replaced by Jim Nantz).

A great win against a team that spanked the boys handily at the Cap Center the week before after the famous UConn win in January.
I’m not a Musberger fan to put it mildly. He did no homework for the 1990 regular season game Granted UConn was having their first BE success but He kept calling the team “The UConn”. The UConn with the ball and such. Also remember the last regular season BE game that year was Georgetown vs Syracuse. The winner would be co-champs of the BE with UConn. They called the game as if it was for the outright championship never mentioning UConn that I remember.

Reaction Score
I was at the Whalers game when Mark Howe slid into the goal and got skewered. They pulled him off of it like a side of beef. Blood all over the ice.
I was at that game also, yes a lot of blood. Tragic.

I was a junior or senior at camp Trin Trin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My dad was at UConn the same time as you it seems (68-72). I asked him about it just now and he said he remembers that game but especially remembers Doug: my dad's best friend at uconn was also HS buddies with Doug. Either way, all of these memories from your guys' class seem to be shared by all alum. There seems to be a collective consciousness from the early 70s classes. Seems like a pretty great time to have been a Husky.
Unlikely I knew your dad. I think at that time there were about 13-14,000 undergrads on campus. I was in the Jungle my freshman year (2nd floor Windham/Winthrop), fifth floor Belden for two years and then off campus for my senior year. It certainly was an interesting time to be a college student.

Reaction Score
In September of 2017 went to Texas to see a Yankees-Rangers game and a Giants-Cowboys (first game of the NFL season) game on the same day.

In the baseball game Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez hit 2 hrs each the Yankees scored 18 runs.

Walk over to Cowboy stadium, one of the few venues you can see both games, walking distance wise. Cowboys beat Giants 19-3 game was very boring but the atmosphere was very electric was watching in standing room tickets. There were a lot of Yankee-Cowboys fans at both venues.

Cowboys fans were very friendly Jerrys world is definetly a tourist attraction, was able to take a tour of the place the day before and be on the field that stadium is over whelming being under the huge jumbo tron.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

September 27 2008, I was there, have a bunch of pictures. Glad I didn't attend on the 28th.

Reaction Score
I was at an Atlanta Hawks game when Dominic Wilkins tied the Hawks scoring record with 57 points versus the Bulls. Michael Jordan scored 48 points in an incredible back and forth of highlight reel plays. It was a like a duel between him and Wilkins. The crowd was going nuts.

But what made it really special was I was sitting in a box with Lou Hudson who held the Hawks single game scoring record (also against the Bulls). As Wilkins approached his record, he definitely was conflicted. Rooting for the Hawks but you could tell he wanted to keep the record. The Hawks won, Wilkins tied -didn't break- the record and everyone including Hudson went home happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom