2025 Recruiting: - Gandy Malou-Mamel on Irish Squad...plays in July | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Gandy Malou-Mamel on Irish Squad...plays in July

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Gandy has made the 12 player Irish 20U team. They will play in the FIBA tourney...2024
Youth Eurobasket. First game is July 6. Congrats to her...one of the youngest on the team.
Good to know that Ireland basketball has their eye on Gandy...perhaps thinking she could help
them qualify for the 2028 LA Olympics? Hmm...that would be the summer after her junior year
at UConn.

Hope we can get some stats and video of her play this July. Everyone says she has made...uhh...
leaps and bounds from last summer. Would be nice to see!

Reaction Score

Gandy has made the 12 player Irish 20U team. They will play in the FIBA tourney...2024
Youth Eurobasket. First game is July 6. Congrats to her...one of the youngest on the team.
Good to know that Ireland basketball has their eye on Gandy...perhaps thinking she could help
them qualify for the 2028 LA Olympics? Hmm...that would be the summer after her junior year
at UConn.

Hope we can get some stats and video of her play this July. Everyone says she has made...uhh...
leaps and bounds from last summer. Would be nice to see!
Yeah I read the story of how UCONN recruited her. They said she wasn't great at the basic drills they gave her as like, a trial or something, but they saw potential. Clearly, she took their criticisms and became a better player. We could use a 6'5 post with good D, can rebound, and can block. Though I don't think her FT % improved much and she doesn't seem to even have a mid range yet. Anyone know if that's changed?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yeah I read the story of how UCONN recruited her. They said she wasn't great at the basic drills they gave her as like, a trial or something, but they saw potential. Clearly, she took their criticisms and became a better player. We could use a 6'5 post with good D, can rebound, and can block. Though I don't think her FT % improved much and she doesn't seem to even have a mid range yet. Anyone know if that's changed?
Patience. Player development runs in different stages. Especially for post players.

Defense comes quicker for some players. Defense is about position on court, rebounding is about technique of blocking out, reading shots. Blocking is about position, arms up straight.

Offense develops slower. Free thrower are a matter of form, release and repetition. Playing low in the block again is position, foot movement, knowing/ felling your defender and moving accordingly. Mid range jumpers come along. Again, form, consistent repetition of shooting. Eye development of distance.

Aaliyah is a perfect example of the development of the mid range shot. Her devlopment over 4 years at UConn was amazing. Both Geno and CD have said many, many times, it takes at least 2 years for a post to develop into a good player in college. And UConn has a very good record of developing big girls.

Most big girls usually do not have a lot of trouble getting bunnies on the high school level. Thery have no need to develop a mid range shot. D1 ball, like UConn plays, requires posts to develop that mid range.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gandy shot 69.5% from the free throw line last season which is between KK’s average (67.0%) and Aaliyah’s (74.7%).

986AC7C7-E19E-408D-94D4-8540D069E788.jpeg

Reaction Score
Her toughest games apparently were against Rutgers Prep this season. I wonder what those were like.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Her percentage probably is a little worse than that, there are three games that she had made FT but had no attempts.
Ok, 64.0% between Nika (57.1%) and Caroline (66.7%)

Gandy averaged 16.6 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.6 blocks, and 1.1 steals last season. She started playing basketball at the age of 12, 5 years ago. She’s improved dramatically in those years.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Ok, 64.0% between Nika (57.1%) and Caroline (66.7%)

Gandy averaged 16.6 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.6 blocks, and 1.1 steals last season. She started playing basketball at the age of 12, 5 years ago. She’s improved dramatically in those years.
I like that blocking stat quite a bit.

Reaction Score
One thing nice about the FIBA age related tournaments is that you can get good stats that include minutes played and of course the competition is higher to make those stats more relevant. Look forward to seeing those for Gandy.

Reaction Score
One thing nice about the FIBA age related tournaments is that you can get good stats that include minutes played and of course the competition is higher to make those stats more relevant. Look forward to seeing those for Gandy.

To me, the key word for GMM is "developing". When she verballed the key word was "raw". Now she is being mentioned in "who looked good" posts after AAU tournaments. She is trying to squeeze 6-8 years of development into 4 years. She may not even be ready for elite college basketball as a UConn freshman and that's OK with me too. She has a rare combination of physical skills and is also highly motivated according to some who have seen her. I'll trust in Geno's judgement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To me, the key word for GMM is "developing". When she verballed the key word was "raw". Now she is being mentioned in "who looked good" posts after AAU tournaments. She is trying to squeeze 6-8 years of development into 4 years. She may not even be ready for elite college basketball as a UConn freshman and that's OK with me too. She has a rare combination of physical skills and is also highly motivated according to some who have seen her. I'll trust in Geno's judgement.
One thing about Gandy that high school and AAU coaches mention is her aggressiveness. As long as she fights for rebounds, tries to block/alter shots, and sprints up the floor, I'm good with waiting for scoring and finesse. UConn's coaches can refine skills but they can't teach effort.

Geno on what he looks for in a recruit

Reaction Score
Rumor was that Bob Hurley Sr has taken an active role in helping to coach her up. Foot stays on gas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the headliners in the 17U division here in AC was the NJ Shoreshots 2025 HGSL Sabino team. 6’5 UConn commit Gandy Malou-Mamel looks like a young Aaliyah Edwards out there already. This kid is a physical force in the paint and will battle her way through double teams to get what she wants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom