Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent

Reaction Score
I think the Alamo, last chance at romance, now or never analogies are bolstered by the observation made earlier that the kids we've just brought in probably were the kids RE 1.0 was referring to that he wasn't allowed to touch before he he hit the road. That shift speaks to "Everybody" being on board(Gov BOT, Pres etc.) So all hands on deck, this is it, 4th and 1 and we are going for it at our own 40 yard line.

We are UConn and this is what we can do.

#SomethingsDifferent

Reaction Score
I think the Alamo, last chance at romance, now or never analogies are bolstered by the observation made earlier that the kids we've just brought in probably were the kids RE 1.0 was referring to that he wasn't allowed to touch before he he hit the road. That shift speaks to "Everybody" being on board(Gov BOT, Pres etc.) So all hands on deck, this is it, 4th and 1 and we are going for it at our own 40 yard line.

#SomethingsDifferent
Hurley has the formula to build. It’s starts with going through the Character combine. Find the best you can with the elite character and good things build on themselves.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment on Evers.
Some comments out of Wisconsin OC about lack of effort to learn the playbook

Can you (anyone) find the quote about the “lack of effort” concern? - I’ve been looking since it came up in another thread. I’ve found this from the OC but not sure it’s the same one:

Similar read here… talent is there - not sure it’s as much a lack of “work ethic” ding as much as it is a kid drinking from a firehose w/ limited CFB QB reps w/ new team/new scheme. Amore’s article above seems to point to him knowing what he needs to do moving forward.

-> “Coach Longo was pretty up front about it, he said he was probably gonna bring in someone that’s older than me,” Evers told BadgerBlitz.com. “That really wasn’t an issue for me…My biggest thing wasn’t playing time. My biggest thing was seeking someone that can develop me and help me be the best quarterback, leader and best man possible. Coach Longo checks all those boxes.”

In small glimpses this spring, Evers has flashed brilliance. He loves to use his feet to escape the pocket, and is dynamic when doing so. He’s eager to take off and run, and he’s shown that he can get to the second level of a defense in a hurry. On top of that, the ball flies out of his hand almost effortlessly. With a flick of his wrist, it’s 40 or 50 yards downfield, over the top of the defense.

“Nick is exciting athletically,” Longo agreed. “He might be the best athlete in the room.”

So what’s restricting this specimen of a quarterback to limited QB3 reps?

“On my board, it says ‘knowledge equals reps,’’’ Longo said plainly. “What he’s working on right now, and we just met one-on-one yesterday, is getting to a point where he understands what’s going on out there in the pass game from a protection standpoint. In the run game, when do we change some things or make a check or throw an RPO…those types of things he’s still on the learning curve with, and that’s why he’s had fewer reps.”

“So the better he understands the system, the more we’ll see him out there.”<-

Reaction Score
People on this board are less than enamored with Fagnone but it would not surprise me at all if he beats Evers in the fall. He beat out Roberson last fall, who was our starter game 1 of the Jim Mora era. Fagnone for his limitations, has playing experience and never looked rattled against NC State. Nothing will help the QB position more than guys making routine catches. They went out and upgraded the WR position, i believe with this in mind. Too many drive killing drops to be consistent offensively.

Reaction Score
Only counterpoint I'll make is, the athletic department cannot spend money on players. The players are funded by the NIL money, which is independent from school funding. The athletic department can spend money on the staff and program. It's two different "bank accounts" so to speak. The school spends on the program and "we the people" spend on the athletes. So Mora can't use the thin money left on players. He has to use it on coaches/staff.

In any case, I think everyone is aligned that if there's a time to strike, it's right now. Men's basketball are B2B champs, the women's team is perennially top 5 and we're competitive in pretty much every other sport whether baseball, softball, hockey, field hockey, T&F, etc.
thank u! i am not familiar with the technicalities of the buckets of money. agree overall

Reaction Score
Can you (anyone) find the quote about the “lack of effort” concern? - I’ve been looking since it came up in another thread. I’ve found this from the OC but not sure it’s the same one:
May be this...still worth a shot

Reaction Score
How about Nick, Coach Mora, Sammis and Robbins make it this guy eat his words:

I wish Nick all the luck in the world going to UConn. Jim Mora Jr. is a solid head coach who will build a solid mid-major program at UConn. Maybe it's more of the environment that Nick Evers needs to be in.

Reaction Score

#SomethingsDifferent
Unfortunately it’s not 4th and 1. It’s 4th and 18. Where is Phil Simms to Bobby Johnson when you need it?

Reaction Score
Hurley has the formula to build. It’s starts with going through the Character combine. Find the best you can with the elite character and good things build on themselves.
Red Pants and Edsall did exactly the same thing. They recruited OKGs (our kind of guys), same thing. Lots of coaches do this. The difference is Hurley had National Championships to sell even before he won one. And Hurley started winning right away, year two.

Win. Win and produce pro players. They will come. Win and you can have any culture you like. Win and you can recruit any kind of player you like. That is the formula.

Reaction Score
People on this board are less than enamored with Fagnone but it would not surprise me at all if he beats Evers in the fall. He beat out Roberson last fall, who was our starter game 1 of the Jim Mora era. Fagnone for his limitations, has playing experience and never looked rattled against NC State. Nothing will help the QB position more than guys making routine catches. They went out and upgraded the WR position, i believe with this in mind. Too many drive killing drops to be consistent offensively.

Joey was in over his head against NC State. The fact that he didn’t look rattled tells me he had no idea how bad he was doing.

Reaction Score
Red Pants and Edsall did exactly the same thing. They recruited OKGs (our kind of guys), same thing. Lots of coaches do this. The difference is Hurley had National Championships to sell even before he won one. And Hurley started winning right away, year two.

Win. Win and produce pro players. They will come. Win and you can have any culture you like. Win and you can recruit any kind of player you like. That is the formula.

The RKG thing only works the way you want it to when you are running an effective system.

Otherwise you just end up with a bunch of former class presidents who ought to be playing at Merrimack.

Reaction Score
Winning makes things a lot easier that’s for sure. But when you’re at the lowest rung you control what you can- give me 100 guys with a Special Forces mentality and they will win through cohesion, execution and grit.

Reaction Score
May be this...still worth a shot

Ouch.

Reaction Score
Ouch.
Same thought. I would have preferred someone with real experience. Roberson was a highly rated recruit at one point, too, and he wasn't quite it. This could pan out the same. Hopefully it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Same thought. I would have preferred someone with real experience. Roberson was a highly rated recruit at one point, too, and he wasn't quite it. This could pan out the same. Hopefully it doesn't.
According to 247 the transfers you brought in were much better then the High School recruits.
That's the way everyone except Clemson is recruiting now.
Alabama brought in 30 transfers from other schools. A lot of programs have between Transfers and High School, turned over better then half their roster.
That seems to be the future with unlimited transfers.

Reaction Score
Joey was in over his head against NC State. The fact that he didn’t look rattled tells me he had no idea how bad he was doing.
I don't think so. 1st drive was flawless. He also threw a dime to James Burns about 45yds down field that him in the pads and he dropped it between 2 defenders that fell helplessly to the ground. Shoulda been 6. You can't win if you have no playmakers. Joly early in the year was brutal with drops.

Reaction Score
Who is supposed to write it? There are no newspapers left. It is Hearst and a couple of people at the courant.
The newspapers that we grew up with are as dead as the Dinosaurs. Here in the Tampa Bay region in the 1990s, there were at least 4 hometown papers, in 2004, when i.moved here, there were 2 big newspapers - Tampa Tribune and the St Pete Times. Now, there's 1, the Tampa Bay Times, which is published twice a week - Sunday and Wednesday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom