B1G & SEC non-committal on CFP future | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G & SEC non-committal on CFP future

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

B1G schools received $60.5 million in media rights in fiscal year 2023, except for Rutgers and Maryland as they are still repaying loans. Those 2 schools are inching closer to receiving full shares and earned around $2 million less each than the other 12 schools in 2023.

I could not be more excited for the Big 10 and their recent basketball championship. Wait, did they win the championship in men's basketball?

Reaction Score
I think basketball is currently undervalued in conference payouts. Once everything is hashed out with football rules, I think basketball is next on the docket. How much money can an expanded March Madness bring in, especially if the NCAA is pushed out of the equation? Maybe not as valuable as football, but definitely much more valuable than today.

And if it does prove valuable enough for the B1G, then UConn, Kansas, Arizona, UNC, Duke, and Syracuse all have to be potential expansion targets. Right now, only UNC makes that list.

So far, only Maryland and UCLA have been additions benefitting basketball for the B1G, and that was more coincidental than intentional.
If each game in NCAA is worth $2M, in last two years, UConn has earned BE $24M alone.

Reaction Score
If each game in NCAA is worth $2M, in last two years, UConn has earned BE $24M alone.
Units stop counting after the final four. So it would be $20M paid out over the next 6 years (5 for the 2022-23 units). Splitting that 11 ways (it would be 12-ways if the conference keeps a share for itself), each championship is worth 900k per school, or ~1.8M for the back to back runs.

The Big East as a whole earned 11 units last year... actually 1 unit under what you would've forecasted based on the seeds earned by the teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32
Top Bottom