2025 Recruiting Targets? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting Targets?

Reaction Score

Comments from On3 re players I mentioned (Full Article Linked by Hooper Scooper in Meleek Thomas thread post #113)​

Meleek Thomas is an electric scorer, able to create space off the bounce and get clean looks often in the half-court. The 6-foot-3 shooting guard plays with the utmost confidence, and that is a major piece of his production. Thomas averaged 17.3 points while shooting 50.0 percent (6-12) from three. Thomas will need to continue working on his base strength and shot selection, his ability to create offense is what continues his production. He is competitive and he defends at the point of attack with a purpose. (I think he is bigger than other 6'3 players)

4-star SF Dwayne Aristode (Expressions) ended the weekend with a bang, going for 18 points, three rebounds, and two blocks while shooting 8-11 from the field and 2-4 from three against Team Herro. The 6-foot-7 wing carries a lot of tools, with his explosive pop and lengthy frame. The consistency comes and goes when it comes to his assertiveness. The three-and-D archetype is still in place.

4-star SF Jaylen Harrell (Expressions) showed his scoring ability throughout the weekend. The 6-foot-5 wing has a strong frame with good length. He also plays confidently within two and three dribbles, able to get to his spots and showcase his high release and soft touch. Harrell finished with an efficient 17, 20, and 15 over the final two days of the event
. (I see him as a big guard)

Interesting by omission is that there are about 44 players they wrote about as having outstanding play over the weekend and not a single one was listed by them as a center. Only the 34th writeup really plays like an interior Big. Jaden Toombs #67 from Dallas is listed as 6'9 245lb center on 24/7 and as a PF in this article. The omission of that position tracks with what I was seeing in the limited number of teams I was able to see.

Reaction Score
Combo guard out of Michigan.
#12 composite on 247

IMG_1147.jpeg

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'd have to imagine it will be tough to get him out of Indiana -- but I suspect he is smart enough to know how good he would look in the UConn offense.
Show him what we did to Purdue and IU this year and he may come running to us

Reaction Score

Comments from On3 re players I mentioned (Full Article Linked by Hooper Scooper in Meleek Thomas thread post #113)​

Meleek Thomas is an electric scorer, able to create space off the bounce and get clean looks often in the half-court. The 6-foot-3 shooting guard plays with the utmost confidence, and that is a major piece of his production. Thomas averaged 17.3 points while shooting 50.0 percent (6-12) from three. Thomas will need to continue working on his base strength and shot selection, his ability to create offense is what continues his production. He is competitive and he defends at the point of attack with a purpose. (I think he is bigger than other 6'3 players)

4-star SF Dwayne Aristode (Expressions) ended the weekend with a bang, going for 18 points, three rebounds, and two blocks while shooting 8-11 from the field and 2-4 from three against Team Herro. The 6-foot-7 wing carries a lot of tools, with his explosive pop and lengthy frame. The consistency comes and goes when it comes to his assertiveness. The three-and-D archetype is still in place.

4-star SF Jaylen Harrell (Expressions) showed his scoring ability throughout the weekend. The 6-foot-5 wing has a strong frame with good length. He also plays confidently within two and three dribbles, able to get to his spots and showcase his high release and soft touch. Harrell finished with an efficient 17, 20, and 15 over the final two days of the event
. (I see him as a big guard)

Interesting by omission is that there are about 44 players they wrote about as having outstanding play over the weekend and not a single one was listed by them as a center. Only the 34th writeup really plays like an interior Big. Jaden Toombs #67 from Dallas is listed as 6'9 245lb center on 24/7 and as a PF in this article. The omission of that position tracks with what I was seeing in the limited number of teams I was able to see.

Aristode was less-than-excellent when I saw him at Brewster. I may not have even posted my thoughts after a 3-5 games. I'm worried he's one of those kids who thrives in the wide-open AAU play but can't play the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Aristode was less-than-excellent when I saw him at Brewster. I may not have even posted my thoughts after a 3-5 games. I'm worried he's one of those kids who thrives in the wide-open AAU play but can't play the game.
I think if this is the case he'd be far better off with our staff developing him than anywhere else

Reaction Score
This.

We are the back to back national champs. Hurley plays in exciting brand of basketball that people want to be a part of that prepares them for the NBA. Dan Hurley has lifted the the ceiling of kids who are within our reach.
I'm not in favor of recruiting 7th graders though. I'd like to see him stop playing Minecraft before we recruit him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not in favor of recruiting 7th graders though. I'd like to see him stop playing Minecraft before we recruit him.
I don't judge.

Reaction Score
I think if this is the case he'd be far better off with our staff developing him than anywhere else

Not sure what you mean. That's not the type of player we're been recruiting. And it has paid dividends.

I have no idea what Aristode projects as longer-term. Small sample size. I may have just caught a couple bad games.

Reaction Score

Mullins saw offers from North Carolina and Purdue come his way and it was for great reason. A 6-foot-5 shooting guard, Mullins shot lights out from deep with an extremely quick release. He projects well as a movement shooter and brings added value with his ability to get off the floor. UConn is rumored to be on the verge of offering as Dan Hurley was present for a couple of his games this weekend.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I haven't spent much time yet looking at 2025 players. Yesterday I watched New Heights with Meleek Thomas, Preston Fowler, and Badara Diakite, and also watched Expressions with Dwayne Aristode, London Jamison, and a player that I now know to be Jaylen Harrell. I spent about another hour+ flipping between courts to try to find impact centers to dream about.

Guards:
With Mahaney & Nowell I assume we will have primary ball handling, and Ball is the athlete. In the back court my bias is to add at least 1 big guard shooter 6'4 to 6'6. Meleek Thomas is a home run impact player like McNeeley will be this year. At 6'4, long and rangy, he justifies his top 10 rating by being great with the ball and an excellent shooter. Jaylen Harrell at #90 is a 6'5 sweet shooting power guard who I saw make his own space with the dribble to get off a 3 pointer. His body makes space (like a John Bagley for early big east fans). My first impression of Brayon Mullins from the clips only, is that he is a Mahaney clone at 6'5.

Acuff and Traore I haven't seen. Both are great lead guards rather than the 6'5 type. Traore I haven't seen mentioned with UConn but from highlights, I think he is an impact player in waiting.

Forwards:
We have been mentioned with Dwayne Aristode and I have no doubt he is a player that could help keep us at the top. In the last minute of a 1 possession game, Expressions went to him twice to successfully tie the score by taking the ball in the lane. (This was just after Harrell tied the score with a 3 when they were 3 down). Aristode handles the ball very well, gives defensive effort, blocked a couple shots at 6'7, has a strong body, and is a plus athlete (but not an Andre Jackson). My first impressions of Jamison, and Fowler, is that they are very similar to Ross in terms of potential and how they could contribute, (ie pieces vs team leaders).

Centers:
I have yet to spot anybody that I would consider an impact 5. No Kofi, Hunter, Zack, Wahab, Mobley, Donovan, or similar players with impact size. After watching Singare in AAU, I didn't happen to see anybody better yesterday protecting the rim. In fact, I never noticed anybody block a shot over the rim at the basket. This caused me to look at 24/7 list of centers in the top 200 players and there is only a handful of 7' players, with virtually no players also carrying any weight. If we find an impact center this year, I bet it is from overseas. (Diakite is too slight to help us in the post)

Pre Peach Jam Players So Far to Impact UConn Chasing Championships:
Covet Thomas & Aristode. The other players are good depth/role pieces.
A top shelf rebounder/post player may need to come from next year's portal
(Expect I would covet Traore/Acuff but it may be less of a 2025-2026 team need)
Great breakdown. Two notes:

• I legit think Harrell will be a borderline five-star by the time the summer's over. I badly want this kid.
  • I suspect we're going to be regular portal shoppers for centers in the years to come.

Reaction Score
Great breakdown. Two notes:

• I legit think Harrell will be a borderline five-star by the time the summer's over. I badly want this kid.
  • I suspect we're going to be regular portal shoppers for centers in the years to come.
Harrell is screaming underrated. Not much of a gap between he and Aristode if anything Harrell has been their best player. Jemison can play too, but I’m not sure he’s as much of a need with Abraham and Ross already in the fold.

Mullins is clearly underrated too, but both of this guys will be shooting upwards this summer. Good examples of 4 star kids that I’d take over a 5 star kid with a 5 star ego.

Reaction Score
Are there just no recruits staff is interested in out of HS or more a product of losing Adama, Clingan, then, eventually Samson in back to back to back years?

Reaction Score
Are there just no recruits staff is interested in out of HS or more a product of losing Adama, Clingan, then, eventually Samson in back to back to back years?
I wonder if the shift of the game toward "positionless" players is starting to create something of a dearth of traditional bigs in the highschool ranks

Reaction Score

Isn't it more that it's much easier to find fully-formed contributing bigs through the portal than it is in high school? Wings and guards seem to arrive in college more ready to contribute. But I don't know anything.

Reaction Score
Wings and guards seem to arrive in college more ready to contribute. But I don't know anything.

Definitely. Big develop late notoriously. We've had a lucky string of young, talented bigs the last 4 years, but it's not the norm. Best practice has gotta be having a game-ready upper-classmen and a young development project most of the time.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Rated #90 247. I like Harrell, Thomas, and Aristode so far, as players that move the needle. Fowler & Jamison are quality players but my early impression is that they aren't the alpha dogs themselves. Harrell would be a tough player to defend and I love to have a guy on the team that is a tough physical mismatch for most teams.
You need to send a note to DH reminding him of just who it was that got the recruiting rolling on Karaban.................and that it's time to listen to you on Harrell!

Reaction Score
Harrell is screaming underrated. Not much of a gap between he and Aristode if anything Harrell has been their best player. Jemison can play too, but I’m not sure he’s as much of a need with Abraham and Ross already in the fold.

Mullins is clearly underrated too, but both of this guys will be shooting upwards this summer. Good examples of 4 star kids that I’d take over a 5 star kid with a 5 star ego.
I like Jemison more than Aristode and Harrell from what I've seen.

Mullins looks like a scoring machine.

Reaction Score
This year’s center crop is absolutely awful. I was really hoping Diakite (being a local HS player) would find his stride, but he hasn’t. I think Reed is going to have to do (also Johnson should be able to get another year of eligibility), but it would surprise me if they aren’t after any breakout center in 2025 or any stud 2026 big.

I like Jemison more than Aristode and Harrell from what I've seen.

Mullins looks like a scoring machine.
Jemison is good, and has had a few really good games, but takes the third wheel role most often and for a known shooter hasn’t been good from the FT line which scares me a bit. That is splitting hairs though, I like him. It’s been a while since Expressions Elite had this much talent that UConn could realistically chase.

Reaction Score
This year’s center crop is absolutely awful. I was really hoping Diakite (being a local HS player) would find his stride, but he hasn’t. I think Reed is going to have to do (also Johnson should be able to get another year of eligibility), but it would surprise me if they aren’t after any breakout center in 2025 or any stud 2026 big.

Jemison is good, and has had a few really good games, but takes the third wheel role most often and for a known shooter hasn’t been good from the FT line which scares me a bit. That is splitting hairs though, I like him. It’s been a while since Expressions Elite had this much talent that UConn could realistically chase.
Jemison just doesn't get to the line for them, he does his damage scoring from three and cutting to the rim for dunks. I like how unselfish he is while other guys are trying to get there's. In the 10 eybl games Jemison is averaging 12.5 ppg, 58% fg, 41% three, 71% ft on very little ft's.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Dan stopped recruiting high school centers after ultimate success with Sanogo and Clingan. He missed on Ngongba, which is why we went after Reed. If the 2025 class is underwhelming, maybe he takes a year off from recruiting any of those bigs, but I doubt that's the plan for all future classes.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Dan stopped recruiting high school centers after ultimate success with Sanogo and Clingan. He missed on Ngongba, which is why we went after Reed. If the 2025 class is underwhelming, maybe he takes a year off from recruiting any of those bigs, but I doubt that's the plan for all future classes.
We know he’s not going to try forcing a square peg into a round hole.

If there isn’t someone that fits our culture, fits our playstyle, and is up to the appropriate skill level, then I’d wager it’s safe to assume he won’t target any bigs.

That said, I agree it wouldn’t be more than a year off, if for no other reason the odds of having no fits two age groups in a row is probably pretty remote.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Danny will not like "come and go" consistency

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom