2024 UConn Football Commit - Jayden Bass (Springfield, MA) | The Boneyard

2024 UConn Football Commit - Jayden Bass (Springfield, MA)

Reaction Score

Jayden Bass is a 6-6 320lb OL from Springfield Central High School, Springfield MA attending Syracuse University (Transfer Portal w/ four years of eligibility remaining). Other current offers from Akron, Bryant, FAMU, Liberty, Maine, Marshall, Monmouth, ODU, Tennessee Tech, UMass and UTEP.

Jayden took an official visit to UConn coming out of Springfield Central.

Reaction Score
The portal is our friend. Welcome to the Dog Pound all new Huskies...
If the foot work matches the measurements we are heading in the right direction. Home work on his bio says this is a very good spot for Jayden to land for us along with a great opportunity for him.
Hard core fan welcome to Jayden.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
v sorry to be that guy, but what's the catch? syracuse is not exactly a powerhouse and the offer list is not all that impressive. not hating at all, i always hope it works out between uconn and the recruit - but want to know realistically what his ceiling is.

Reaction Score
v sorry to be that guy, but what's the catch? syracuse is not exactly a powerhouse and the offer list is not all that impressive. not hating at all, i always hope it works out between uconn and the recruit - but want to know realistically what his ceiling is.
Schools are looking for OL depth in the portal, guys who are ready to start or be a backup. Bass, as a true freshman last year is more of a developmental OL who probably needs a year or two of development. Generally, P4 schools aren’t going to be interested in using a scholarship on a portal OL that needs to be developed.

Reaction Score
Schools are looking for OL depth in the portal, guys who are ready to start or be a backup. Bass, as a true freshman last year is more of a developmental OL who probably needs a year or two of development. Generally, P4 schools aren’t going to be interested in using a scholarship on a portal OL that needs to be developed.
thank you for that grounded take on this acquisition - would you say that a data point like this is evidence that we are not quite where we want to be as an aspiring P4 program? meaning, in a future P4 state, we wouldn't consider such a development project?

is your choice of the word "developmental" purely due to his young age, or do you know more about his actual performance? the kid is big as heck clearly, but like I said, syracuse isn't scaring anyone, and if he couldn't crack the lineup there, that's where I got concerned.

Reaction Score
I’ve no idea if he will pan out or even stay, but he played at cuse - how many of our young pups weee thrown out there. They didn’t play him to convince themselves he was not worth it. Not understanding the negativity at all. You think a backup wr at a P5 is great, but a backup OL is a step back.

Reaction Score
thank you for that grounded take on this acquisition - would you say that a data point like this is evidence that we are not quite where we want to be as an aspiring P4 program? meaning, in a future P4 state, we wouldn't consider such a development project?

is your choice of the word "developmental" purely due to his young age, or do you know more about his actual performance? the kid is big as heck clearly, but like I said, syracuse isn't scaring anyone, and if he couldn't crack the lineup there, that's where I got concerned.
Oline men often take a year or two sometimes 3 to really develop. Part of it is strength, part technique. There is a big difference between being 320 and in shape and being 320 and in shape to play oline in FBS football. Syracuse’ 2-deep is projected to have 2 RS jr transfers, a RS freshman transfer, 3 rs Sr transfers a RS sophomore and 2 RS juniors and a Sr. That is not atypical for the way a P4 builds its oline. Older, experienced players.

I have no idea where this guy fits in the overall scheme. But also note that Syracuse just got a new coach. He might be looking for a different type of lineman. He might have decided to bring in “his guys.” This guy might have just not felt comfortable with the new staff. Or he wanted to play closer to home or wasn’t comfortable in Canada. In any case I’m glad to have him.

Reaction Score
How many UConn freshman OL have started a game, ever? How many have even been on the 2 deep as freshman? Did this take a spot from an OL man that now has no slot at UConn and has to portal to some random P2 school?

Reaction Score
Oline men often take a year or two sometimes 3 to really develop. Part of it is strength, part technique. There is a big difference between being 320 and in shape and being 320 and in shape to play oline in FBS football. Syracuse’ 2-deep is projected to have 2 RS jr transfers, a RS freshman transfer, 3 rs Sr transfers a RS sophomore and 2 RS juniors and a Sr. That is not atypical for the way a P4 builds its oline. Older, experienced players.

I have no idea where this guy fits in the overall scheme. But also note that Syracuse just got a new coach. He might be looking for a different type of lineman. He might have decided to bring in “his guys.” This guy might have just not felt comfortable with the new staff. Or he wanted to play closer to home or wasn’t comfortable in Canada. In any case I’m glad to have him.
… and Sammis/Mora recruited him coming out of Springfield Central.

Reaction Score
I can't help but go back to Foley days and what he did with developmental kids, to the point where our OL's were beating up some pretty good folks. Have to give a shout out to the late great Gerry Martin as well, S&C coach, who himself was a nasty undersized Defensive Lineman at Syracuse. Feel like that kind of OL is right around the corner!

Reaction Score
How many UConn freshman OL have started a game, ever? How many have even been on the 2 deep as freshman? Did this take a spot from an OL man that now has no slot at UConn and has to portal to some random P2 school?
Lundt did. Trial by fire which seems to be serving him well now -- he wasn't ready then but was the best we had. Van Demark did as well. He was light -- 260 or so -- but he was good even then and you knew he was going to get better, which he did.

Reaction Score
Lundt did. Trial by fire which seems to be serving him well now -- he wasn't ready then but was the best we had. Van Demark did as well. He was light -- 260 or so -- but he was good even then and you knew he was going to get better, which he did.
Didn’t Matt Peart start as a freshman too?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Part of the reason why Lundt and Van Demark started was because of a lack of depth ahead of them. They were thrown in the fire because the depth chart was trash.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom