2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Why does Bleacher Report's mock draft say that Karaban is Swedish?
Discussed earlier.
The 6'6" Swedish thing seems like a copy/paste error from Pelle Larsson, who does happen to be a 6'6" senior 23 year old Swedish SF and is next on the list.

Reaction Score
Why does Bleacher Report's mock draft say that Karaban is Swedish?
His bum is on the Swedish
yaBWQQ.gif

Reaction Score
Latest ESPN mock draft:
  • 6. Clingan (Hornets...ugh)
  • 10. Castle (Jazz)
  • 36. Karaban (Pacers)
Newton and Spencer undrafted. But Bronny going to Boston at #54? LOL
Also, Sheppard and Dillingham going #3 and 4....ESPN writers might have been smoking something while typing this up.

Reaction Score
If AK going that high I doubt hes coming back. I still cant believe how much the NBA does not believe in TN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If AK going that high I doubt hes coming back. I still cant believe how much the NBA does not believe in TN
Agree regarding Karaban. It looks as if Newton's path to an NBA career might be a bit like Kevin Ollie's. Two ways, and 10 day contracts being a spot fix as needed until he finally finds a home. If not, he'll make a lot of money and be very successful overseas.

Reaction Score
Agree regarding Karaban. It looks as if Newton's path to an NBA career might be a bit like Kevin Ollie's. Two ways, and 10 day contracts being a spot fix as needed until he finally finds a home. If not, he'll make a lot of money and be very successful overseas.
Newton has 5x more game than Ollie

Reaction Score
If AK is projected in the 2nd round, he'll be a fool to leave early. It's all setup for him to lead a good UCONN team next year and get drafted in the mid 1st round.

Reaction Score

I feel like TN is just hard to evaluate. His greatest skill is that he's a winner. He's not overly athletic, he's not a great shooter, he's a good but not great passer, and there will be questions if he can play D against NBA 1's who are more athletic than him. He will absolutely need the "right" team to sign him and I believe that may already be established hence him probably going undrafted.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I keep hearing guys (specifically Simmons/Russillo) talking about how critical it is to get someone to work with Wemby…a good passer and guy to be Wemby’s wingman should be their first priority. He might be the best player in the NBA by year 3.

I do not see how Castle would get by that organization, with his ability and intangibles, twice in the top 8 picks.

Poe

Reaction Score
I feel like TN is just hard to evaluate. His greatest skill is that he's a winner. He's not overly athletic, he's not a great shooter, he's a good but not great passer, and there will be questions if he can play D against NBA 1's who are more athletic than him. He will absolutely need the "right" team to sign him and I believe that may already be established hence him probably going undrafted.
He’s very good (not great) in every aspect of the game. That, plus his age, and perception that he’s probably close to his ceiling is what seems to working against him in terms of draftability.

However, he’s experienced, can do it all (mr. triple double) and he’s a winner. Mostly likely will go the UFA route and will show a team that wants him that he can contribute and will be ready to go.

Reaction Score
With Newton, I would hope a team like the Suns who have no good picks, no point guards on the roster and in desperate need of production from day 1 would take him and play him meaningful minutes. Same deal with Cam.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing guys (specifically Simmons/Russillo) talking about how critical it is to get someone to work with Wemby…a good passer and guy to be Wemby’s wingman should be their first priority. He might be the best player in the NBA by year 3.

I do not see how Castle would get by that organization, with his ability and intangibles, twice in the top 8 picks.
that's a great take.

Reaction Score

There's 2 French prospects in the lottery range that are both playing well in Europe in their French league playoffs right now. I think it's extremely likely they pick at least one for some cultural resonance with Wemby, so that leaves 1 Spurs pick likely in top 5. The Kentucky guys are better shooters and at least similar passers, which is also pretty important to surround Wemby with.

Reaction Score
If AK going that high I doubt hes coming back.
second round is second round. does it matter whether he's 31 or 60?
(there's only 28 1st round picks this year so technically second round is 29-58?)

Reaction Score

I was listening to this and thought the same thing. Bill says something like the Spurs should draft “just a guy who can throw a proper entry pass”. Castle is a great passer with amazing basketball instincts. I love Simmons podcast because he really cares about basketball and the history of the game, however the glaring weakness of his podcast is he doesn’t know/watch/follow college basketball unless it’s a flat out star like Zion etc. Castle is the guy they are talking about, but Ryen who is more in tune with the college game and Bill fail to recognize it.

Reaction Score
AK withdrawing could also allow either Newton or Cam to get drafted soooo there's that

Reaction Score
latest ESPN mock that was released this morning, post-combine(no write-up for 2nd rounders, Newton & Spencer undrafted)

6. Charlotte Hornets

Donovan Clingan, C, UConn | Age: 20.2

After immensely boosting his stock with dominant play in March, Clingan looks ready to contribute as a long-term defensive anchor, best suited to drop coverage and using his size to wall off angles in the paint. He's been aiming to showcase skill potential and three-point range in workout settings, helping teams envision offensive upside and versatility, and has earned looks at the very top of the draft. Clingan was arguably the top prospect most harmed by how the lottery shook out, as none of the teams picking in the top five as constituted have an express need to select a true center -- even if NBA executives expect him to be firmly in play with Atlanta, Washington and Houston.

Charlotte looks like a soft landing spot, with a clear need at the five to help shore up their defense behind Brandon Miller and LaMelo Ball. Landing Clingan, arguably the top rim protector in the draft, would be an ostensible coup for the Hornets after their pick slipped here. -- Woo

10. Utah Jazz

Stephon Castle, PG/SG, UConn | Age: 19.5

The versatile role Castle supplies, coupled with room to grow offensively, puts him in play all over the mid-to-late lottery -- but it's worth noting that he appears to be marketing himself to teams as a point guard. Accordingly, Castle is being selective with where he works out, targeting teams that have a need for a lead ball handler. The new CBA rules have granted teams wider access to medicals, reducing agents' leverage in steering players to specific destinations -- but it's always easier from an optics standpoint to select a player who wants to play for your team.

Castle's versatile perimeter defense and playmaking potential makes him an interesting fit next to smaller, offensive-minded guards, which the Jazz have several of. As Utah aims to improve the league's worst defensive rating, grabbing a player who addresses needs both present and future would be a win here at No. 10. Castle makes a lot of sense from that vantage point, and if he can improve his shaky three-point shooting, he could provide quite a bit of lineup versatility in the long-term. -- Woo

36. Indiana Pacers (via Raptors)
Alex Karaban, PF, UConn | Age: 21.5

Reaction Score
Per ESPN’s Jeremy Woo,

“the feeling among league executives is Clingan will "be firmly in play" for the Atlanta Hawks, Washington Wizards and Houston Rockets.
Those three teams own the top three picks in the draft, with the Hawks sitting at No. 1 overall.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Newton a significantly better shooter and scorer. KO was more athletic.
I don't remember Ollie being particularly athletic, but I don't know that I really ever thought about it one way or the other. What are you remembering that makes you think that? Definitely not saying that you're wrong, I'm just curious what you're thinking of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom