2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Guys, the comparisons was simply that Newton might have to latch on as an undrafted free angent and possibly go from team to team before getting a guaranteed deal. Their games and talent level are not similar. Nobody suggested they were.

Reading comp is hard in the olde 'Yard nowadays...

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Cup Cormier vs Newton. Discuss.

Anyway I’m hoping for DC to DC selfishly because my kid has a hockey tourney there in December so maybe I can sneak out to a game or two. Steph to…anywhere but the Hornets. AK back home (sort of) to Boston, Tristan and/or Cam to Philly somehow so I can hit people up locally for their unused season tix.

F Duke

Reaction Score
If Newton ends up on my Celtics I will cry real tears of joy.
TN in Boston would be awesome. Hearing noise that Golden St has been looking at him very closely as well. If they move Klay T and Chris P- they'll be looking for more youth at the guard spot. If TN falls into 2nd Round. GS picks at 52..Celts at 54

Reaction Score
Cup Cormier vs Newton. Discuss.

Anyway I’m hoping for DC to DC selfishly because my kid has a hockey tourney there in December so maybe I can sneak out to a game or two. Steph to…anywhere but the Hornets. AK back home (sort of) to Boston, Tristan and/or Cam to Philly somehow so I can hit people up locally for their unused season tix.

F Duke

Cup Cormier was fantastic in the early stages of 92/93 (Donyell's sophomore year). There was a lot of thought about benching KO and I remember that Cup had a killer game at NC State to get us a win. Was sad to see that he passed a few years back.

Reaction Score
If he goes #30 does he come back?
Assuming this is about Karaban, if he thinks he's going #30 then very likely no. Considering the Celtics are his favorite team, extremely likely no.

Reaction Score
If he goes #30 does he come back?

If he's a first round pick absolutely not... My memory is hazy, but isn't a first round contract guaranteed for two years? The second round contracts are not if my recollection is correct. The guaranteed $$ he'd make as a first round pick, even as one of the last picks, I'd imagine will be more than what NIL can provide. It would be a no-brainer I'd think.

Reaction Score
If he's a first round pick absolutely not... My memory is hazy, but isn't a first round contract guaranteed for two years? The second round contracts are not if my recollection is correct. The guaranteed $$ he'd make as a first round pick, even as one of the last picks, I'd imagine will be more than what NIL can provide. It would be a no-brainer I'd think.
Yes, 1st rd picks are guaranteed 2 years, and then 2 years of team options.

2nd round picks have to negotiate their deals, they can be guaranteed, non-guaranteed, or 2 way deals, for example.

Reaction Score
Castle #4, Clingan #7 in latest ESPN mock draft

4. San Antonio Spurs

Stephon Castle, PG/SG, UConn | Age: 19.5

The Spurs have been exploring all options with their two top-10 picks as they enter a critical offseason. With Victor Wembanyama on a superstar-level trajectory, San Antonio has an opportunity to accelerate its path toward the playoffs, whether that's via the draft, trades or other means. The biggest roster need is at point guard, and rival teams have connected the Spurs to the Cleveland Cavaliers' Darius Garland as they work to revamp the team.

Keeping both these picks and taking multiple swings in the draft is also an attractive path, with the challenge being nailing the right pairing of players who will fit together with Wembanyama. San Antonio has demonstrated strong interest in Castle, who might well land here if the Spurs stay put. Castle's two-way versatility, playmaking potential and size give him attractive upside, and also make him an easy player to pair with whomever the Spurs draft at No. 8. -- Woo

7. Portland Trail Blazers

Donovan Clingan, C, UConn | Age: 20.2

It's hard to see a scenario in which Clingan -- the No. 3 player on ESPN's Big Board -- falls to No. 7, but the Trail Blazers would surely be ecstatic with this outcome, driven by the fact Houston, San Antonio, Detroit and Charlotte all have centers in place in whom their front offices are already invested.

There's chatter around the league that teams such as Portland, Memphis and Chicago might look to move up to draft Clingan earlier than this, but in this mock scenario, he falls right into the Trail Blazers' lap. Clingan brings size, length, defensive prowess, nonstop intensity and passing ability along with a back-to-back national championship pedigree. He has plenty of room for growth alongside the Blazers' core at just 20 years old. -- Givony

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

4. San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs have been exploring all options with their two top-10 picks as they enter a critical offseason. With Victor Wembanyama on a superstar-level trajectory, San Antonio has an opportunity to accelerate its path toward the playoffs, whether that's via the draft, trades or other means. The biggest roster need is at point guard, and rival teams have connected the Spurs to the Cleveland Cavaliers' Darius Garland as they work to revamp the team.

Keeping both these picks and taking multiple swings in the draft is also an attractive path, with the challenge being nailing the right pairing of players who will fit together with Wembanyama. San Antonio has demonstrated strong interest in Castle, who might well land here if the Spurs stay put. Castle's two-way versatility, playmaking potential and size give him attractive upside, and also make him an easy player to pair with whomever the Spurs draft at No. 8. -- Woo

It's hard to see a scenario in which Clingan -- the No. 3 player on ESPN's Big Board -- falls to No. 7, but the Trail Blazers would surely be ecstatic with this outcome, driven by the fact Houston, San Antonio, Detroit and Charlotte all have centers in place in whom their front offices are already invested.

There's chatter around the league that teams such as Portland, Memphis and Chicago might look to move up to draft Clingan earlier than this, but in this mock scenario, he falls right into the Trail Blazers' lap. Clingan brings size, length, defensive prowess, nonstop intensity and passing ability along with a back-to-back national championship pedigree. He has plenty of room for growth alongside the Blazers' core at just 20 years old. -- Givony

I just went from 6 to midnight.

Reaction Score
Clingan has had workouts with Atlanta, Washington, and Houston.

Apparently the wizards like him a lot. Don’t see him falling to 7

Reaction Score

4. San Antonio Spurs

Castle and Wemby would be an INSANE defensive pair. And Wemby can play on the perimeter enough that Castle wouldn’t only get threes from Wemby’s gravity, but plenty of room for cuts too

Would be funny if Chicago took Clingan. Drummond, Clingan, and Sanogo on the same team lol. Portland is stockpiling young talent so it would make sense, but Memphis would be really fun. Ja and Clingan pick and roll is crazy

Reaction Score
Clingan has had workouts with Atlanta, Washington, and Houston.

Apparently the wizards like him a lot. Don’t see him falling to 7
The Wizards don't need to take a crazy upside swing with their pick since no matter who they go with, they'll be back at the top of the lottery again next year.

So in that sense Clingan -- who probably has the highest floor in the draft, and a high defensive ceiling but a relatively low offensive ceiling -- would be a smart pick for them. Between DC, Avdija, Colibaly & Kispert they'd actually be developing a core of solid role players.

Then they can hope to land their star next year or in 2026.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Portland already has 4 Cs on their roster including Ayton. The Wizards roster looks like it should be in the G league and they have no Center so DC would have plenty of playing time

Reaction Score

4. San Antonio Spurs

This mock has Spencer and Newton going undrafted. Honestly, getting drafted 50-something versus signing as an undrafted FA....really not much difference, is there? Except you can choose the org to play for as a UFA. I'm certain both Newton and Spencer will be able to sign 2-way contracts if they don't get drafted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom