Zone | The Boneyard

Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While watching FL continue to exploit our bigs and rack up the fouls, it struck me that maybe going zone for a few possessions at least may have stemmed the tide. I know downside of zone is typically rebounding, but that's an issue anyway. I wonder if they just don't practice it that much?? I think we should have in our arsenal, as FL clearly exposed that as our weakness and others will surely follow.

Reaction Score
Can a zone be effective with small guards? Just curious, as I can imagine larger guards having little problem seeing the floor against Bazz, but moreso Boat. Not a zone expert but I'd like to know.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
Can a zone be effective with small guards? Just curious, as I can imagine larger guards having little problem seeing the floor against Bazz, but moreso Boat. Not a zone expert but I'd like to know.

The zone is effective with fast guards. When the guards help out when the ball goes into the post, they need to recover very quickly to guard the 3 on kick outs. Against Florida, you have to be willing to give up a lot of 3's to effectively help out in the post. Our guards could do it as well as anyone with their speed, but it isn't a very good strategy against the Gators other than to mix it up. Weak side help and effective shot blocking are the best remedy but the baby hooks being thrown up last night were basically unguardable.

I think Kromah could have been helpful earlier guarding against penetration and helping collapse on the post players. He should have played more given how we were getting burned.

Reaction Score
Definitely need to have a zone in our arsenal; foolish not to, especially with how tightly fouls are being called this season.

Or if Shabazz gets into, or needs to stay out of, foul trouble. Back line of a 2-3 extended zone with Brimah, Calhoun and Daniels can certainly take up a lot of space/width.

Reaction Score
I don't mind having some zone in the mix and think we should but Kita has a great point. All the effective zones have big guys on top.......if we had Boat and Kromah/Giffey/Omar on top maybe but anyone can shoot over a "2" topped with bazz and Boat......

As I said in an earlier post I thought Florida's size on the half court trap zone was tough on our guards when Wilbekin got hurt.......very effective! As much as we hate Cuse with Triche and carter Williams out front last year they had an effective tandem which was hard to throw crisp passes to open shooters.......size matters in zone play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom