Zebras for Baylor game. | The Boneyard

Zebras for Baylor game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the officals for last years game were from the Big East and this year from the Big 12?

Do they split the game officals between both conferences for games like this?

Would hate to see the game come down to a home town call.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many times for inter conference games the visiting team brings the officials. It depends on the contract.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised to to Maj, maybe Dee... I'm betting if you look at the schedule, you can see where the "big names" will be placed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Whoever they are, I can promise that they'll be discussed at length if UConn loses!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are we worrying about a close game already... along with phantom fouls in Baylor's favor?

since we're making early predictions... I got Baylor winning, because they have the parts (solid post player, ok wings & solid guard) and they are at home (comfort zone). This is a recipe that UConn doesnt face often.

Hopefully Im wrong!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Will be the first huge game in a hostile environment on national tv for the newbies. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Just wondering....have any of you ever been flipped off by an official? I was and had it on tape but I have no idea where the tape is. It would have been the 99-00 season IU vs. Northwestern. Needless to say, I was a pain in the at some games. That same official had the UConn - Tenn championship game that year. Luckily, I have mello'ed out a bit.

Reaction Score
The regular season is about learning to deal with adversity. There will always be some nights when calls don't go your way; I would rather have bad officials in this game than in the NCAAs.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Unless UConn gets blown out, this game is a win/win. Should we lose, we will be far more ready to deal with a talented team and with a hostile atmosphere down the road thanks to this game. Our weaknesses will be exposed....and that is a good thing given the coaches we have and the character of the players....in March [April!] we will be better for this game. Specifically the Waco experience will help us in early January when we play at ND.

If we win, there is no way Geno lets them get a big head over it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If we lose we have beaten Stanford and TAM and face ND in a couple of weeks. Pretty tuff competition.

Reaction Score
Just wondering....have any of you ever been flipped off by an official? I was and had it on tape but I have no idea where the tape is. It would have been the 99-00 season IU vs. Northwestern. Needless to say, I was a pain in the at some games...

Needless to say, bruinbball, you have been voted in to Wonkster's Hall of Fame by acclamation!

Reaction Score
Most, if not all, officials are independent contractors not exclusively tied to one particular conference. As mentioned previously, the officials are assigned as per the contract between the two schools and the two conferences. It is common courtesy and almost always contracted to allow the visiting school's conference to assign the officials, so it is likely that Barbara Jacobs, Big East Conference Officiating Coordinator for Women's Basketball(I might have posted her title incorrectly) will be responsible for assigning the officials for the Baylor game. Not that it matters. Ms Jacobs is likely to hire from the same pool of big time officials as her counterpart in the Big 12, Patty Broderick. It is highly unlikely that we will see an official calling this game with whom we are unfamiliar.

Of these twelve officials, one can be reasonably assured of seeing at least one, confident of seeing at least two, and not at all surprising to see three: Dee Kantner, Eric Brewton, Beverly Roberts, Maj Forsberg, Tina Napier, Denise Brooks, Cameron Inouye, Lisa Jones, Felicia Grinter, Brian Enterline, Lisa Mattingly, and Bonita Spence.

Reaction Score
Geno has been waiting for this game all season. He knows that everything goes through or around Britney and its should..Geno will take BG and Simms out of the game with Full court pressure and force Baylor into a jump shooting team.......Sometimes the local crowd gets the home team more ampted and shooting becomes a littlew crazy

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would use BG as an outlet valve for the press. If the press is putting a little too much pressure on Sims it is not too difficult to get the ball to BG so that she can hit a guard sprinting down the court. She is a more than capable passer and has a surprisingly good handle...she can certainly dribble a bit. I am not saying use her to bring the ball down court, but pass the ball to her to get out of trouble. Trapping Giner is tough as she has the length to keep the ball away from the defenders and the vision to see the open player.

BG has also been guarding the inbounds passers after a basket and has frequently been in the backcourt at the top of the press. It is interesting to see her length and how it affects the guards bringing the ball up court.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BG has also been guarding the inbounds passers after a basket and has frequently been in the backcourt at the top of the press. It is interesting to see her length and how it affects the guards bringing the ball up court.

they would get burned trying that against UConn

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
they would get burned trying that against UConn

I agree. You didn't see it any against Tennessee because it would have been big opening for the Tenn guards. I hope it is not pulled out of the bag of trick against UCONN. But I have to say that seeing the big girl show off her athletic talents is very entertaining. Just not something you can do against a top team with quality guards.

What concerns me most is Mulkey's tendency to have BG drift sooooo far from the basket on defense. There are few, if any, post players who are going to consistently burn you from three point land. Why allow the best shot blocker in the history of the game to drift away from the lane. It is only opening up the back-door cut. I think that is a horrible coaching move.

I actually liked the zone defense that they used against Tennessee when BG picked up her third foul. BG was planted in the lane and didn't leave it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I mean they could try it right away to see what it feels like but once they get burned they need to move away from it asap

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey has commented that BG begs her to let her do different things on the court so that she is not one dimensional. Griner wants to be the trailer and shoot the three. And I've watched her in warmups, and the girl can shoot the three. She has great form on her FTs and three pointers. I think that Mulkey, to some extent, is just letting BG have some fun on the court when the game situation allows it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mulkey has commented that BG begs her to let her do different things on the court so that she is not one dimensional. I think that Mulkey, to some extent, is letting BG have some fun on the court.
she's gonna respect UConn... and only do what the game plan calls for. You wont hear "Coach can I run the point for the 1st half cause you know Im gonna need this in the W"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
she's gonna respect UConn... and only do what the game plan calls for. You wont hear "Coach can I run the point for the 1st half cause you know Im gonna need this in the W"

LOL...let's hope note. Mulkey let's BG have some fun when game situations allow. UConn is not one of those games.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Most, if not all, officials are independent contractors not exclusively tied to one particular conference. As mentioned previously, the officials are assigned as per the contract between the two schools and the two conferences. It is common courtesy and almost always contracted to allow the visiting school's conference to assign the officials, so it is likely that Barbara Jacobs, Big East Conference Officiating Coordinator for Women's Basketball(I might have posted her title incorrectly) will be responsible for assigning the officials for the Baylor game. Not that it matters. Ms Jacobs is likely to hire from the same pool of big time officials as her counterpart in the Big 12, Patty Broderick. It is highly unlikely that we will see an official calling this game with whom we are unfamiliar.

Of these twelve officials, one can be reasonably assured of seeing at least one, confident of seeing at least two, and not at all surprising to see three: Dee Kantner, Eric Brewton, Beverly Roberts, Maj Forsberg, Tina Napier, Denise Brooks, Cameron Inouye, Lisa Jones, Felicia Grinter, Brian Enterline, Lisa Mattingly, and Bonita Spence.

All true - but - has anyone seen Bonita this season? Don't know who Lisa Jones is, and don't know how good Felicia Grinter is. What about Sue Blauch - is she not still around? She was considered (by some, at least) good. I would suggest that Brian Enterline is most likely, with either Dee or Lisa Mattingly as another. Does Brian ever work with Cameron?

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
ok did anyone notice last years zebras made the end of the game suck last year.... they didn't call the 30 second violation and let the clock run out, instead of stopping play, which would've given us more time to get a better shot. a little controversial for zebras to not call it out, especially when its a 1 point game, and there's enough time for one more play.

the board is getting real biased, even for a UCONN board, last year some posters from here noticed that call too and i appreciated the fact. I think the game needs to be played to the full extent of the allotted time, not just give up the last play because it's not the ncaa tourney, i want the real feel of the tourney all the way.

if the game is that close this year, i hope they stop the time, and correct the clocks for accurate time, unlike lat years controversial no-call, where both teams were standing around for a few seconds waiting on the zebras to make a call at the shot clock buzzer.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
BG will go to the free throw line, accept it, she is played so closely and fouled constantly, because she is so big.

hopefully this year it's not a "hack a BG", like last years game in hartford...she should make her free throws this year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Sims is getting to the line much much more this year btw... so be ready for that, versus last year.

Reaction Score
All true - but - has anyone seen Bonita this season? Don't know who Lisa Jones is, and don't know how good Felicia Grinter is. What about Sue Blauch - is she not still around? She was considered (by some, at least) good. I would suggest that Brian Enterline is most likely, with either Dee or Lisa Mattingly as another. Does Brian ever work with Cameron?

You might be on to something about Ms Spence. I have not seen her work this year, nor have I seen her listed in the stat line.

I might have been inclinde to include Ms Blauch among the twelve usual suspects if the game was being played in Hartford/Storrs and Patty Broderick was making the assigments. I am assuming that the Big East will assign the officials to this year's game. It does not have to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom