Yum...is this crow?! It's delicious! | The Boneyard

Yum...is this crow?! It's delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jim Boeheim, fresh off a trip to the Syracuse board of trustees' woodshed, has issued a statement. Or more accurately, he's had a statement written for him:

“The allegations that have come forth today are disturbing and deeply troubling. I am personally very shocked because I have never witnessed any of the activities that have been alleged. I believe the university took the appropriate step tonight. What is most important is that this matter be fully investigated and that anyone with information be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found. I deeply regret any statements I made that might have inhibited that from occurring or been insensitive to victims of abuse.”

He really has to hope nothing else comes out. Schools are not terribly loyal - if they need a sacrifice, the basketball coach makes a fine volunteer to jump into the volcano.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is a train wreck. I can not imagine what it feels like being a Cuse fans right now. Wow.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is a train wreck. I can not imagine what it feels like being a Cuse fans right now. Wow.
To think, I was insanely jealous of them a couple of months ago (with the whole ACC thing). Even if this is bogus (looking less and less likely), this is just bad timing, bad press, and would make me want to vomit as a fan.

Reaction Score
It prob feels like ur taking it in the ...whatever that feels like.

Reaction Score
Jealous of Syracuse??? Now that is just funny, no clue how any UConn fan could ever be jealous of Syracuse. As for Boeheim he always struck me as a very sharp guy, that's why I was shocked at the time when called the accusers liars. He was an absolute idiot with his earlier statements and it could cost him dearly. I've heard some people say this is not a Syracuse issue it's just an issue of an alleged pervert who happened to coach at Syracuse. Sorry but that doesn't fly, these guys were ballboys for years at the Cuse and travelled with the team.

Reaction Score
Jealous of Syracuse??? Now that is just funny, no clue how any UConn fan could ever be jealous of Syracuse.
You weren't somewhat envious of them going to the ACC while we're stuck in this clusterfuck that is the NNBE?

I want to go to the ACC (more accurately--I want to go to a better conference than the one we are in). They have been accepted to the ACC. Therefore, I want what they have, the definition of envy or jealousy.

Reaction Score
While I find all of this disgusting, I do find a little delight in the fact that the entire Cuse fanbase can't talk any more shi* ever. No fanbase has been more arrogant and pompous towards us (despite doing next to nothing on the national scale the past 20 years.) I revel in there downfall. No one fanbase has given it to us worse than the Cuse fans with regards to Nate Miles, Marcus Williams..etc...

Reaction Score
While I find all of this disgusting, I do find a little delight in the fact that the entire Cuse fanbase can't talk any more shi* ever. No fanbase has been more arrogant and pompous towards us (despite doing next to nothing on the national scale the past 20 years.) I revel in there downfall. No one fanbase has given it to us worse than the Cuse fans with regards to Nate Miles, Marcus Williams..etc...
Let them give us . Of all the fanbases that have, they're among those who have the least right to already (a whole slew of crap dating to the 1990s). That was enough for me to chuckle inwardly. We certainly didn't need this to put them in their place.

*Edit, to make this clear if it wasn't: I'd much rather this never happened. There are real people involved, and no one deserves what Fine did to them (if accusations are true).

Reaction Score
This is not a basketball rivalry issue. Despite how you feel about the fan base this is a human issue. I take no pleasure in the pain of the Syracuse fan base when it falls outside the realm of fair competition in sports. This is tragic and disgusting no matter which program. Back when dook lax had its scandal and it was still believed that the allegations were true I was put on the spot by a friend in front of a dook grad. I was asked if I was happy about the dook scandal. I said the same: this goes way beyond mere sports rivalry. We are all on the same "team" when it comes to condemning these disgusting crimes.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This is not a basketball rivalry issue. Despite how you feel about the fan base this is a human issue. I take no pleasure in the pain of the Syracuse fan base when it falls outside the realm of fair competition in sports. This is tragic and disgusting no matter which program. Back when dook lax had its scandal and it was still believed that the allegations were true I was put on the spot by a friend in front of a dook grad. I was asked if I was happy about the dook scandal. I said the same: this goes way beyond mere sports rivalry. We are all on the same "team" when it comes to condemning these disgusting crimes.

+1 ... I don't get the whole "haha your assistant molested a little boy" thing.

Reaction Score
Jealous of Syracuse??? Now that is just funny, no clue how any UConn fan could ever be jealous of Syracuse. As for Boeheim he always struck me as a very sharp guy, that's why I was shocked at the time when called the accusers liars. He was an absolute idiot with his earlier statements and it could cost him dearly. I've heard some people say this is not a Syracuse issue it's just an issue of an alleged pervert who happened to coach at Syracuse. Sorry but that doesn't fly, these guys were ballboys for years at the Cuse and travelled with the team.
i know we have a true rival, when our opponents are able to revel in a sex abuse scandal because it may weaken our program. kudos.

Reaction Score
orangehomer, You think I'm revelling in what's going on at Syracuse? How on earth could you interpret my post as revelling in the sad mess that's going on at Cuse? I was just responding to a UConn poster saying he was jealous of Syracuse a few months ago for being invited to the ACC. I thought it was strange that a UConn fan would be jealous of Syracuse when to me it''s pretty clear we have the stronger program. I've always liked your program and Coach Boeheim, I just pointed out that it was very stupid of Boeheim to call the accusers liars.

Reaction Score
This makes me wonder if there is something up with old guys that stick around a program for along time. I'm not referring to guys that were once head coaches and take an assistant's position, but the ones that simply stick around and don't move on.

Are there some cases like this one and the one at Penn State where they try to keep them around and make sure their secret never gets out? I'm not assuming Fine is guilty. I haven't read the latest news reports. But it does give me pause and wonder how many Sandusky's are out there.

Reaction Score
This makes me wonder if there is something up with old guys that stick around a program for along time. I'm not referring to guys that were once head coaches and take an assistant's position, but the ones that simply stick around and don't move on.

Are there some cases like this one and the one at Penn State where they try to keep them around and make sure their secret never gets out? I'm not assuming Fine is guilty. I haven't read the latest news reports. But it does give me pause and wonder how many Sandusky's are out there.

Sandusky was 55 when he was fired/retired. Not really all that old.

Then there was the rumor that Paterno stepped in when Sandusky interviewed for the HC job at Virginia and gave a bad rec. Eventually, what happened at PSU in 1998 will come out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Add me to the list of people who support your sentiment.

Reaction Score

My intial thoughts exactly. Syracuse has nothing for us to be jealous of.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jim Boeheim, fresh off a trip to the Syracuse board of trustees' woodshed, has issued a statement. Or more accurately, he's had a statement written for him:

“The allegations that have come forth today are disturbing and deeply troubling. I am personally very shocked because I have never witnessed any of the activities that have been alleged. I believe the university took the appropriate step tonight. What is most important is that this matter be fully investigated and that anyone with information be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found. I deeply regret any statements I made that might have inhibited that from occurring or been insensitive to victims of abuse.”

He really has to hope nothing else comes out. Schools are not terribly loyal - if they need a sacrifice, the basketball coach makes a fine volunteer to jump into the volcano.

At about midnight I drifted from Person of Interest to ESPN and found myself hearing a phone call btw Mrs. Fine and Davis. When I heard Mrs. Fine saying how here husband got his rox off with boys I thought...smoking gun.

Then I thought of you with your adamant disbelief of the original story. Kudos for your public showing of how to eat crow with dignity.

Reaction Score
"We are all on the same "team" when it comes to condemning these disgusting crimes."

You certainly have isolated the issue with the above quote. The problem is the quote needs to be qualified by incorporating the word "should be" in the sentence. Therefore I would rephrase to read as follows:

"We all should be on the same "team" when it comes to condemning these disgusting crimes."

The problem is institutions religious or otherwise have acted with impunity for years. There has not been strong enough precedent to bring about the change any rational human being would call for as it relates to child molestation. An entity with deep pockets like the catholic church for instance has simply paid out (settled) in excess of 1 billion dollars in civil lawsuits. What Boeheim arguably has done is re-victimize potential defendants. I have met Boeheim and spoken with him. He can hypothetically fall into a similar category as a CEO of a fortune 500 company for arguments sake. What I mean is the responsibilities are similar. He owes a fiduciary duty to his shareholders. In this case the shareholders would be anyone who has a vested interest in the integrity of the SU basketball program. Just like in the corporate world it is hard to pierce the corporate veil and hold officers and directors accountable for their actions. The criminal profiling of Bernie Fine in this case is alarming if used as an investigative tool.

Basically anytime you have an entity self regulating itself for all intents and purposes e.g. (Wall Street by the SEC/FINRA) or other entities engaged in cover ups to protect high profile public figures engaged in criminal activity the common denominators usually are money, power and greed.

JMHO...I agree with your sentiment however. Gracias...

Reaction Score
I have an abiding respect for Syracuse. I respect the school, I respect the athletic achievements. This is something I will never have in regards to Rutgers.

I don't revel in this development, and if anything the response to it here at a UConn site has been subdued and patient in that you don't see whole lot of people jumping to conclusions.

But on the other hand... I better not ever hear another laptop joke from a Cuse fan.

Anyways, I hope they get this straightened out and move forward. Good luck in the ACC, I wish we were there with you.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
"
The problem is institutions religious or otherwise have acted with impunity for years. There has not been strong enough precedent to bring about the change any rational human being would call for as it relates to child molestation. An entity with deep pockets like the catholic church for instance has simply paid out (settled) in excess of 1 billion dollars in civil lawsuits....

Actually quite a bit has changed and these outings will help bring about further change.

The answer is timely reporting and facilitating the kids to recognize the signs and to think of it as any other crime they would report.

Among the reporting problems: Catholic bashers have the population beleiving its a Catholic problem rather than a social problem. All the evidence says the rate of incident in the Catholic Church was no higher than for the general population. That gives you an indication of just how much more will have to come out. The teaching profession is notorious for quiet "go away" agreements with predators. In some states that is now illegal and school systems can be sued. Abuse by government employees, largely protected by various tort exemptions is the hidden scandal. Eric Hayward stories abound--many are not prosecuted

The sordid Eric Hayward story

http://articles.courant.com/2008-02-01/news/0802010160_1_hayward-s-life-girl-s-mother-superior-court

My favorite site: female teachers arrested in the last 5 years for sexual assault. It's a damn long list too. It's kinda funny but...damn that's quite a haul in 5 years.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=39783

Timely Reporting works. Catholic priests arrested this decade for crimes conducted after 1999 are usually one or two victims at most. Those older predators from the 50s through 80s would rack up 10 or more victims.

Reaction Score
i know we have a true rival, when our opponents are able to revel in a sex abuse scandal because it may weaken our program. kudos.

Sorry orangehomer not going to get any love here. I and many others refuse to revel in the victims pain at any time as this is a serious and ugly situation for Fine, the university and the families involved. I can only guess their pain over the years as well as the victims at Penn State, unbelievable issues!

But this is cyber fandom and you as well as many of your counterparts have called Calhoun out for so many little things and reveled in the samllest of issues throughout his career, I have no reason to feel for you or too many other fans on that board. You have a beyond arrogant fanbase who repeatedly rip JC and call him the childish of names year in-year out. The hate for UConn is overwhelming on that board and you have been part of it in the past and there is no denying that. This board, for the most part has always found a way to support JB as he is a friend of our HOF coach and he has had a very respectful career. I sincerely hope this does not ruin JB's career at all but really enjoy seeing that arrogant fanbase spiralling into the toilet as we speak. Sorry for the others involved and the very few good fans who just love the game and the rivalry but as for the others, I couldn't ask for this to make a successful season more painful to watch for them.:) That's just me not speaking for the BY at all.

Reaction Score
I've posted on some of the other threads regarding JB being all in for Fine. That this could come back and bite him in the ass. A total 180 for JB, a Fine spin move. No this is not going to be a Penn St. but it surely will hurt and but a negative spin on the "cuse" for a while no matter there culpability. Will JB lose his job ? I do doubt it.

Reaction Score
I've posted on some of the other threads regarding JB being all in for Fine. That this could come back and bite him in the ass. A total 180 for JB, a Fine spin move. No this is not going to be a Penn St. but it surely will hurt and but a negative spin on the "cuse" for a while no matter there culpability. Will JB lose his job ? I do doubt it.

Some how, some way I really believe JB knew nothing of Fine's "habits" or else he would not have made those ridiculously supportive statements. He is probably as shocked as anyone as to the extent of his escapades and I hoipe this proves true in this case. I do not want to see him fired and believe he's a real good man caught in an awful situation because of someone he trusted, a friend. He may have heard the rumors they speak of which were not of a criminal nature but rather of a self choosing way of life. Didn't mean he would think he was capable of criminal behavior in the least so JB chose to ignore his lifestyle.

Just my opinion but JB will stay intact through all this mess, at least I hope so!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hope Syracuse gets the death penalty. This brewing situation probably influenced their decision to jump to the ACC when the smart financial move would have been to stick with the Big East. The ACC had and still has a mediocre TV deal and the Big East was getting fantastic signals from NBC, but Syracuse knew it had to jump because there was an anvil about to fall on the program, and probably convinced Pitt to jump too.

Syracuse has put UConn's athletic program in jeopardy because of conference realignment, and I have to believe that this situation played a role.

Reaction Score
I hope Syracuse gets the death penalty. This brewing situation probably influenced their decision to jump to the ACC when the smart financial move would have been to stick with the Big East. The ACC had and still has a mediocre TV deal and the Big East was getting fantastic signals from NBC, but Syracuse knew it had to jump because there was an anvil about to fall on the program, and probably convinced Pitt to jump too.

Syracuse has put UConn's athletic program in jeopardy because of conference realignment, and I have to believe that this situation played a role.

What color is the sky in your world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger