YPSOS Young People Sing Old Songs | The Boneyard

YPSOS Young People Sing Old Songs

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
One of my favorites is to find young people performing old songs on You Tube. These categories are arbitrary, but for me, anyone under 25 singing songs from before 1965 fills the bill. That's about 40 years before they were born, and 60 years before they performed the song. I know some people only like the original version of a song, but I like new arrangements of the old songs. Most impressive to me is that young people can appreciate the music that us "old folks" grew up with. I have found a lot of impressive renditions that fit this category that I would like to share. Let me know if you like them, and if you have any of your own to contribute. I hope you aren't tired of these musical threads.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Written by Pete Seeger in the late 1950s and first recorded in 1959, this song became an international hit in late 1965 when it was adapted by the American folk rock group the Byrds. Here, this young man, Josh Turner, displays his virtuosity, not only on the guitar, but singing all the parts. This song contains the prescient line "A time to refrain from embracing." Hope you enjoy this version as much as I did.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Another great example of young people singing songs of the sixties. This song was written in 1957, but was a number 3 hit for the Shirelles in 1961. The Mamas and Papas released a slightly more popular version of the song in 1967, rising to #2 on the charts, a big hit when I was in college. The group is aptly called Foxes and Fossils, but actually fathers and daughters. Hope you enjoy this version as much as I do.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Now this is a very old song. Originally written in 1916, one of the earliest recordings was by The Weavers in 1950. I first heard it in 1958 on a Kingston Trio album. But the Beach Boys had a big hit in 1966. These guys sing the Beach Boys version, do a pretty good job. Are these guys really young, or am I really old, or both?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Another great example of young people singing songs of the sixties. This song was written in 1957, but was a number 3 hit for the Shirelles in 1961. The Mamas and Papas released a slightly more popular version of the song in 1967, rising to #2 on the charts, a big hit when I was in college. The group is aptly called Foxes and Fossils, but actually fathers and daughters. Hope you enjoy this version as much as I do.

I've been listening to these guys for a few years now. A fantastic cover band. Given the demographic here, I figured I was not the only F&F fan.

Minor correction though... the only family connection in the group is Tim Purcell (vocals/keyboard) and his daughter Sammie (the blond on the right). Darwin Conort (vocals/guitar), singers Chase Truran and Maggie Adams, Toby Ruckert (guitar), Scott King (bass) and John Pike (drums) are not related.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I've been listening to these guys for a few years now. A fantastic cover band. Given the demographic here, I figured I was not the only F&F fan.

Minor correction though... the only family connection in the group is Tim Purcell (vocals/keyboard) and his daughter Sammie (the blond on the left). Darwin Conort (vocals/guitar), singers Chase Truran and Maggie Adams, Toby Ruckert (guitar), Scott King (bass) and John Pike (drums) are not related.

Thanks for the clarification.

arch

Reaction Score

Minor correction though... the only family connection in the group is Tim Purcell (vocals/keyboard) and his daughter Sammie (the blond on the left). Darwin Conort (vocals/guitar), singers Chase Truran and Maggie Adams, Toby Ruckert (guitar), Scott King (bass) and John Pike (drums) are not related.

Me thinks the blond on the right. Dad is guy in middle and keyboards(?)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Me thinks the blond on the right. Dad is guy in middle and keyboards(?)
Yes, Sammie is on the right. Dad Tim is middle/keys. You'd think at my age I'd have mastered the left/right thing. I corrected it.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Crazy" is a ballad composed by Willie Nelson. It has been recorded by several artists, most notably by Patsy Cline, whose version was a No. 2 country hit in 1962. Allison Young is another youngster with a very pleasing voice, who brings life to this old song. ( Not to mention Josh turner. It seems people seek him out for accompaniment. )

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here is one from the Smyrna, Ga band Foxes and Fossils from around 2012. Maggie Adams and Sammie Purcell were quite young here.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Maggie and Sammie slay this one. Such a great song too.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Didn't look up the year the song was written, don't know the ages of the various performers, but I think this fits in the spirit of the thread.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This too. At least several of the same performers in both songs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One more (skip ahead to about 24 seconds for the song to start)

Reaction Score
I became a fan of F&F a couple years ago when I stumbled upon this re-do of the CSN&Y "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" IMHO better than the original.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, I've got specifics on this one. Song was written in 1958. Leann Rimes' version came out in 1996, right before she turned 16.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Song is from 1969. Here's Joss Stone at around 19 singing it in 2006.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There’s no singing in this one; it’s a set of three traditional reels. The band was from Vermont and consisted of three or four high schoolers (and their music teacher). I saw them around the tim this album was made.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's a 1968 Beatles song being done by I think a 12 year old in 2019. There's either 5 of her, or somebody has some solid video editing skills.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Although it might not seem that long, Barry Manilow co-wrote this song 42 years ago. This group of Slovenean youngsters do a great job bringing this song to life! They all look under 25 to me, but that's coming from the perspective of an old man. (Young at heart, though.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom