YOUR take on refereeing today | The Boneyard

YOUR take on refereeing today

Reaction Score
How do you Yarders feel about the state of refereeing in basketball today, ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
It seems to me that apart from the top dozen or so refs, the level drops off pretty quickly. Uconn is pretty lucky to usually get some of the better refs, but when you watch other games in B1G, SEC and even ACC, it can be pretty frustrating to see all the bizarre calls. This is of course based purely on a relatively small number of games that I've watched, and has no facts to back it up - but I feel pretty confident in my assessment :)

Reaction Score
You shouldn't get me started on the referees in WBB!
But you did, so.............
WBB, both WCBB and WNBA are the worst officiated sports in the USA!
There is not one outstanding WBB ref around! I watch as much WBB as I can and the one thing you can be sure of is the refs will screw up 90% of the calls!
The Charge/Block under the basket is one of the big bugaboos to refs.
The other is the moving screen. In one tie game I counted 22 moving screens that WASN'T called then with 5 sec. left in the game they called a moving screen and awarded 2 foul shots and the player sank 1 of 2 for the win!
There is a moving screen on almost every possession and most if not all are not called!
Stef Dolson vs ND was called for the 1st moving screen very late in the game and ND got possession and went down and scored on a pass from Diggins to beat UCONN!
And the 3rd most butchered call is when a ref at mid-court calls a foul under the basket instead of the nearest ref!
And as horrible as WCBB refs are the WNBA is 100x's worst! No wonder TF's have gone up by both players and coaches as they cannot believe some of the calls! DT leads the League in TF's each year because she's fed up with the insanity and will tell the refs they suck and get the TF!
One of the worst reffed WCBB games Dec. 2001, #3 OKLA went to HCC to play #1 UCONN and 31 fouls were called in the 1st 1/2 alone, and 52 total fouls were called during the game! Both Geno and Sherri Coale blasted the refs at the post game presser to make what should have been a great game #1 vs #3 and a whistle blew every 15 to 30 seconds disrupting the pace of the game! Both teams played in the Final 4 finals in a classic game later in 2002!
The biggest problem IMHO is the refs are evaluated by ex-refs who are now league supervisors with their buddies they reffed 25 years with!
There have been some classic screw-ups: TN vs Rutgers on a late play-clock fiasco, TN vs Baylor on foul call with 3 seconds left in a tied game, the WNBA finals of 2 years ago where LA was awarded the game & Championship vs MN on a Nneka O. basket that was after the shot clock went off but the game refs wouldn't go look at the replay to make a call, the next day the League Officials said the refs screwed up! And there was a 10 second call vs MN that wasn't made in the game before!
Most big name refs work 5 to 6 games a week all around the country! That has to take it's toll with travel, meals, games, etc.
WBB is such a great product it's a crying shame they allow incompetent refs to ruin it!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A moving screen is not illegal unless the player being screened makes contact with the screener. If there is no contact, an official should not call a foul for a moving screen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More annoying in contrast to the good refereeing that was seen at the international meets. :(

Reaction Score
When players post up and pick up their pivot foot when they take a step without dribble. Both feet should leave ground at same time. I have seen this for years and it is a disadvantage to the defense.

Reaction Score
But you did, so...
There is not one outstanding WBB ref around! I watch as much WBB as I can and the one thing you can be sure of is the refs will screw up 90% of the calls!
The other is the moving screen. In one tie game I counted 22 moving screens that WASN'T called then with 5 sec. left in the game they called a moving screen and awarded 2 foul shots and the player sank 1 of 2 for the win!
There is a moving screen on almost every possession and most if not all are not called!
Stef Dolson vs ND was called for the 1st moving screen very late in the game and ND got possession and went down and scored on a pass from Diggins to beat UCONN!
And the 3rd most butchered call is when a ref at mid-court calls a foul under the basket instead of the nearest ref!
And as horrible as WCBB refs are the WNBA is 100x's worst! No wonder TF's have gone up by both players and coaches as they cannot believe some of the calls! DT leads the League in TF's each year because she's fed up with the insanity and will tell the refs they suck and get the TF!
One of the worst reffed WCBB games Dec. 2001, #3 OKLA went to HCC to play #1 UCONN and 31 fouls were called in the 1st 1/2 alone, and 52 total fouls were called during the game! Both Geno and Sherri Coale blasted the refs at the post game presser to make what should have been a great game #1 vs #3 and a whistle blew every 15 to 30 seconds disrupting the pace of the game! Both teams played in the Final 4 finals in a classic game later in 2002!
The biggest problem IMHO is the refs are evaluated by ex-refs who are now league supervisors with their buddies they reffed 25 years with!
There have been some classic screw-ups: TN vs Rutgers on a late play-clock fiasco, TN vs Baylor on foul call with 3 seconds left in a tied game, the WNBA finals of 2 years ago where LA was awarded the game & Championship vs MN on a Nneka O. basket that was after the shot clock went off but the game refs wouldn't go look at the replay to make a call, the next day the League Officials said the refs screwed up! And there was a 10 second call vs MN that wasn't made in the game before!
Most big name refs work 5 to 6 games a week all around the country! That has to take it's toll with travel, meals, games, etc.
WBB is such a great product it's a crying shame they allow incompetent refs to ruin it!
So, you've given this some thought?
I agree with most of what you say except that there are no good refs. There are a few in WCBB, though I can only name one, Dee Kantner, and a couple more whose names escape me, one a black male.

Reaction Score
So, you've given this some thought?
I agree with most of what you say except that there are no good refs. There are a few in WCBB, though I can only name one, Dee Kantner, and a couple more whose names escape me, one a black male.
Lisa Mattingly

Reaction Score
One call -- or non-call -- that drives me absolutely nuts is the three-second rule. Just for laughs, I started counting how many times both teams in the Ashland game violated it and I was in double figures in no time. And I have to say,because UConn can get down the court and set up its plays, the Huskies are guilty at least as often as anyone else, IMHO. It's only called when player pulls up and puts a dime in the parking meter.

Reaction Score
My pet peeve is this driver purposefully running into the defender ..and thr ref calls blocking foul on the defender??

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's ok, not great, but decent. Always room for some improvement.

I think most people who whine about referring are pretty clueless about 1) the rules 2) the interpretation of the rules - i.e. how the refs are being told to call the game 3) the ref's view of the game/plays.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A player can be in the lane for two seconds and then receive the ball and a new three seconds count starts if the player makes a move to the basket. However, if the player passes the ball or holds the ball, three seconds should be called. While the ball is being rebounded two or three times or more directly under the basket, a three second count is not started as long as the ball is immediately put back. There is no team possession when the ball leaves the shooters hand, therefore no three seconds call is applicable.

Reaction Score
As long as the crew is balanced and consistent I can live with it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's not just WBB that's bad. The men's game is brutal.

And probably corrupt considering they gave that awful official in the Kentucky/unc game an award.

But for me traveling is out of hand. Skylar diggins lived off taking 3 steps. You see it in the men's game all the time. The euro step....absolutely a travel. Fun fact: Two complete steps is a travel (most people in general, don't know this).

As someone else pointed out most of these spin moves (not just by bigs) are a travel.

Carrying is a joke now too.

I hate hate hate the stupid semi circle under the basket. Terrible rule. Stupid rule. That's not really on the officials though.

Reaction Score
But you did, so...
And the 3rd most butchered call is when a ref at mid-court calls a foul under t
he basket instead of the nearest ref!

The one most terrible call was against Steff in an ND game: The ND player had an almost choke hold on Steff , Steff was an arms length (ND players arm) away. Incredibly Steff was called. Both had been fouling but this was not Steffs foul.
The HCC Ok Sooners/Uconn game I agree--I was the idiot up in the clouds screaming---LET THEM PLAY.

I won't judge whether they are better or worse or if one is great and another is poor--because I have though both of the same ref.

Obviously Refs don't make "Make-up Calls" but detest those that appear to be make ups..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom