OT: - Your Favorite Sportscasters’ Salaries | The Boneyard

OT: Your Favorite Sportscasters’ Salaries

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Jul 9, 2022 | Abby Bakke

Watching a sports game without commentary is like watching a movie with no sound effects. It’s just half the experience and it’s not nearly as fun. The announcers are more than just voices in your ear. They are the thing that keeps the game interesting, dictates the mood, and makes sure you don’t miss any detail. Some of these folks make millions, while some are making peanuts. Our own Rebecca Lobo is featured here.

Reaction Score
Jul 9, 2022 | Abby Bakke

Watching a sports game without commentary is like watching a movie with no sound effects. It’s just half the experience and it’s not nearly as fun. The announcers are more than just voices in your ear. They are the thing that keeps the game interesting, dictates the mood, and makes sure you don’t miss any detail. Some of these folks make millions, while some are making peanuts. Our own Rebecca Lobo is featured here.

WOW!! In a lot of ways. Thanks. Enlightening. I didn't know Musberger was still alive. I concur a truly great Play by Play person can make or break the fun of the game. Old time Connecticut Radio had some of the best. I'd turn off the TV sound and watch the game while listening to TIC play by play. Great.

Reaction Score
WOW!! In a lot of ways. Thanks. Enlightening. I didn't know Musberger was still alive. I concur a truly great Play by Play person can make or break the fun of the game. Old time Connecticut Radio had some of the best. I'd turn off the TV sound and watch the game while listening to TIC play by play. Great.
I did the same thing!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Doris Burke is still one of my favorites. She knows the game, and I like her delivery and style. I loved it when she did UConn women's games. Some don't like her, but I do, so do a few others. If she's paid to call NBA games, she must be good. ;)

1662053470127.png

Salary: $1 million per year -
It's not easy being a woman in the male-dominated sports world, especially a female sportscaster. Nevertheless, Doris Burke proves that it's possible to really make an impact despite gender differences. She is currently a sports analyst for NBA on ESPN and on ABC Games. Burke paved the way for women's equality when she debuted as the first-ever female commentator to call a New York Knicks game. She is highly praised by many many media outlets as "Basketball's best TV analyst" for her unique and insightful commentary during NBA games and was even called "the LeBron James of sportscasters" by Jeff Van Gundy.

With over 25 years of broadcasting experience, Burke has built a substantial following and is one of the most famous and popular sportscasters in the United States. She recently received the annual Hall of Fame's Curt Gowdy Media Award and was the first woman to have ever been given this honor. She's currently signed to a five-year contract with ESPN and also lends her voice to the popular NBA 2K video-game series. Burke grew up in New Jersey and has had a passion for basketball from a very young age. She was also an assistant coach in college and even received a basketball scholarship to Providence College. She was a point guard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These are fascinating to scroll through. There are some huge differences. Francesa make $3M? Who knew?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That list is dated, at best, and perhaps highly inaccurate. Some of the highly paid people are now retired or dead (John Madden). Others have gotten substantial raises/promotions (Scott Van Pelt and Tony Romo).

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Jul 9, 2022 | Abby Bakke

Agree with Milford = this a dated list. Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Reggie Miller salaries are way off according to recent reports on the web. Other examples - Jon Gruden hasn't been a broadcaster for several years and won't be anytime soon, Brent Musberger is working for a sports gambling network and Tommy Heinsohn passed away in 2020.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That list is dated, at best, and perhaps highly inaccurate. Some of the highly paid people are now retired or dead (John Madden). Others have gotten substantial raises/promotions (Scott Van Pelt and Tony Romo).
True, some mentioned here have passed on. Look again at the date on the top of the article, July 9, 2022. The article showed what those folks made. I would like to see a current list of what some are making. Don’t shoot the messenger. I thought it made interesting reading.

Reaction Score
The numbers are all over the place. Some are highly paid but bring very little. if they were paid by performance, Doc Emrick (retired) would be the highest paid in the list. Some others would owe their employers money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom