Young UConn guys in NBA | The Boneyard

Young UConn guys in NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Longtime lurker; it seems like new members with posting privileges try to intro themselves and add some value to the board, so here I go. I'm mostly an NBA obsessive and watch more pro than college, tho UConn men and women was my first love and will always be what i'm most passionate about. Anyway I keep major dibs on UConn guys, obvs, and try to be as realistic and unbiased as possible about UConn guys. Many of you already know all this, but I know some do not like or dont have time to follow these guys really closely.

KEMBA: charlotte hornets 17/5, 39% 2p 30% 3p

Kemba is in an impossible situation in Charlotte. 2 seasons ago they made the playoffs due to the team's defense, but that D cratered this yr for a couple of reasons. Kemba needs to improve navigating screens on d. The NBA (like the NCAA is trending) is all pick and roll, and Kemba is small. They just screen and screen and screen him. He's certainly not the reason the D stunk this yr, and he works his butt off (we knew that), but the point of attack is weak.

On O, he is in an even more impossible situation. They have no shooting, no ballhandling, and a post player (Big Al Jefferson) who is always hanging around the rim clogging up Kemba's drives, killing Kemba's ability that we remember so well to finish around, under, and through length at the rim. Al is also a poor screener and a reluctant pick and roll big, so Kemba's PnR game is limited. He is constantly forced to jack shots late in the shot clock, which kill his percentages. The ball is in his hands all the time.

Because of all this, I see Kemba being a regular starter in the playoffs if and when his team upgrades the outside shooting and gets Kemba an agile, athletic big who wants to set screens rather than play in the post. He could also use a secondary ballhandler who is not Lance Stephenson, who kind of destroyed the team with his bricky 3s and ballhogginess.

JEREMY LAMBO: okc thunder 6 ppg/1 apg 47 games played, 13 min/g, buried on the bench

The NBA likes guys who are overtly confident and "look alive." Lamb, as we remember, is not always that guy. He needs the ball in his hands to really have a big impact on the game, and he's been a streak shooter at best in the NBA. There is obviously some personality things going on with that team: Example 1. And Example 2. And example 3. I get the feeling his laid-back personality makes the team and Scott Brooks lack confidence in him.

The skills we know he has are still there. With reps, he can be a knockdown deep shooter. The J is still beautiful and the release is as quick as most anyone in the NBA. He can turn into a secondary ballhandler in the league if given the chance to run some PnRs, especially since that floater (when he has the chance to break it out) is a great shot for him in the NBA.

He stinks on D, which is one of the main reasons he sits. Scott Brooks loves to have a "wing stopper" play with Westbrook and Durant. ANTHONY ROBERSON (Andre Roberson's little brother) is a complete zero on offense but started most of the yr because he can defend the wing. Of course, that was a dumb decision, so Brooks being fired may jumpstart Lamb's career. Or, they may pick up his team option (they may already have, and if they didn't they will) and trade him before he hits restricted free agency. Frankly, the best thing that could happen is for him to be traded to a bad team. I know that's weird to say, but if he could play for a bad team next season and get a lot of touches and minutes, he would show the league how undervalued he has been in OKC going into free agency. The dude is way too talented not to stick in the NBA, and, frankly, I believe he will turn into a longtime NBA starter. I do not think he'll ever be a great defender, because he is more of a loping runner than quick-footed side-to-side runner, but he can definitely be an average NBA defender because of his long arms and ability to help and recover (due to those long, loping strides that allow him to cover alot of ground quick--remember the clinching steal/layup we all love against SDSU?).

He'll never be a first option on O because he doesn't draw fouls and generally he takes low-percentage shots. I see him as a secondary option and jumpshooter, kind of like Kevin Martin or Rip. We should all be on the lookout for a Lamb trade in the next yr, and wherever he goes, I hope the franchise lets him get consistent minutes.

SHABAZZ: mia heat 5 ppg 2.5 apg 36% 3p 51 games, 20 min/g

Shabazz had an up and down yr, as did the Heat as a team, but I think he convinced any doubters in the Heat organization. This was an adjustment yr for Shabazz. The NC yr, he had the college game all figured out. The pace was too SLOW for Shabazz in that last yr. We all remember him dictating literally everything UConn did on offense based on strength of his off-the-dribble and pullup 3s. In the NBA, the pace is way faster, and the kind of complicated plays Shabazz was used to making were not there. There were lots of turnovers early as a result. Early on he was streaky from 3 as well, and in the middle of the season the Heat sent him to the D-League for a few days.

But eventually, the game slowed down some and he started playing like a role player, making the simple, smart plays and not dominating the ball on a veteran team. His shooting rounded into form and his ballhandling wizardry was more and more on display. I see the PG position becoming more and more about shooting from deep--the best PGs nowadays can all shoot 3s off-the-dribble and off of PnRs (Irving, Harden, Lilliard, Steph Curry of course), and Shabazz will be able to do that soon. His release is still lightning-quick and with a full yr under his belt and an offseason coming up, I expect him to become one of the best shooters at his position sooner rather than later. This will make him perfect for Spoelstra's Heat, who covet outside shooting. Furthermore, if defenses are worried about his pull up 3s, they will stick closer to him off of PnRs. This will allow him to mitigate his biggest weakness, which is getting to the rim. Shabazz has very little explosive athleticism and it shows at the NBA level. He has hard time getting to the rim and an even harder time finishing. That's why I think becoming an absolute bomber from 3 should be his next step, and I think the Heat know that too.

As an aside, watching Shabazz in the NBA is incredibly fun for a UConn fan. He is a fan favorite and I think that will continue. Heat fans love his balls and his deep shot, along with his stoic demeanor (he is not yet a vocal leader because he is so young), a demeanor that still cannot hide the confidence and fire we know so well. I see him as the third guard for the Heat for the next few years since the team will have Dragic and Wade back next yr (I guess Dragic could sign elsewhere, but I think he'll be back with MIA).

ANDRE DRUMMOND: det pistons 14 pts/14 reb 2 blocks/g

Dre is an absolute beast. Best young big in the league. Tenacious offensive rebounder--just a damn bloodhound when he sniffs an opportunity to throw mere mortals aside, grab a board, and dunk it. After alot of his OREBs, the other team just lets him dunk because they dont want to get in his way--which is especially crazy because coaches want guys to foul him in that spot because of his FT shooting.

Stan Van Gundy is doing a nice job featuring Dre, especially early in the yr. SVG knew the Pistons would be bad, so he gave Dre a lot of post touches even though when Dre reaches maturity, he won't be getting a ton of those. This helped with Dre's confidence since SVG was running everything through him, and of course now his jump hook is average because of the game reps.

Still, Drummond's game is going to be PnR. NOBODY his size can run with him, and those that can run with him can neither jump with him or bang with him. He's a nightmare running PnR. Having Greg Monroe on the team was bad for Dre, because Dre is most effective in a spread PnR, "4-out" system where he is the only guy assaulting the rim; 4 shooters would allow him plenty of space to do that. Monroe is probably going to sign with the Knicks, which is good for both guys. In the modern NBA, having both Drummond and Monroe is actually bad for an offense because the spacing gets so tight down low. Drummond showed great PnR chemistry with Reggie Jackson late in the yr (Reggie Jackson was traded there late in the yr), and if SVG can sign a stretch power forward, I expect Dre to be an All-Star next yr, a 16/14 with 60% FG type of season. Like Deandre Jordan but better. And if anyone saw the playoffs, Deandre was amazing this yr.

On D, Dre gets a lot of blocks but needs to learn not to overhelp and how to cut of drives from the perimeter. Sometimes he takes weird angles when he plays D in the PnR, and the guard will beat him. But that stuff is extrremely difficult and experience is the only teacher. Deandre Jordan still struggles with this, and it took Tyson Chandler a decade to get it down, Tim Duncan like 4 yrs. So I expect Dre to become an elite defender sooner rather than later.

Dre has a chance to become the best UConn alumnus ever if he reaches his ceiling, which I know is crazy to say because of Ray's career. But it's true. Drummond is pretty much the prototype for the modern NBA big man.

Sorry this is so long. I hope some of you read it and find it informative/interesting. I'd love to hear any objections to my view of these 4 guys.

Reaction Score
Longtime lurker; it seems like new members with posting privileges try to intro themselves and add some value to the board, so here I go. I'm mostly an NBA obsessive and watch more pro than college, tho UConn men and women was my first love and will always be what i'm most passionate about. Anyway I keep major dibs on UConn guys, obvs, and try to be as realistic and unbiased as possible about UConn guys. Many of you already know all this, but I know some do not like or dont have time to follow these guys really closely.

KEMBA: charlotte hornets 17/5, 39% 2p 30% 3p

Kemba is in an impossible situation in Charlotte. 2 seasons ago they made the playoffs due to the team's defense, but that D cratered this yr for a couple of reasons. Kemba needs to improve navigating screens on d. The NBA (like the NCAA is trending) is all pick and roll, and Kemba is small. They just screen and screen and screen him. He's certainly not the reason the D stunk this yr, and he works his butt off (we knew that), but the point of attack is weak.

On O, he is in an even more impossible situation. They have no shooting, no ballhandling, and a post player (Big Al Jefferson) who is always hanging around the rim clogging up Kemba's drives, killing Kemba's ability that we remember so well to finish around, under, and through length at the rim. Al is also a poor screener and a reluctant pick and roll big, so Kemba's PnR game is limited. He is constantly forced to jack shots late in the shot clock, which kill his percentages. The ball is in his hands all the time.

Because of all this, I see Kemba being a regular starter in the playoffs if and when his team upgrades the outside shooting and gets Kemba an agile, athletic big who wants to set screens rather than play in the post. He could also use a secondary ballhandler who is not Lance Stephenson, who kind of destroyed the team with his bricky 3s and ballhogginess.

JEREMY LAMBO: okc thunder 6 ppg/1 apg 47 games played, 13 min/g, buried on the bench

The NBA likes guys who are overtly confident and "look alive." Lamb, as we remember, is not always that guy. He needs the ball in his hands to really have a big impact on the game, and he's been a streak shooter at best in the NBA. There is obviously some personality things going on with that team: Example 1. And Example 2. And example 3. I get the feeling his laid-back personality makes the team and Scott Brooks lack confidence in him.

The skills we know he has are still there. With reps, he can be a knockdown deep shooter. The J is still beautiful and the release is as quick as most anyone in the NBA. He can turn into a secondary ballhandler in the league if given the chance to run some PnRs, especially since that floater (when he has the chance to break it out) is a great shot for him in the NBA.

He stinks on D, which is one of the main reasons he sits. Scott Brooks loves to have a "wing stopper" play with Westbrook and Durant. ANTHONY ROBERSON (Andre Roberson's little brother) is a complete zero on offense but started most of the yr because he can defend the wing. Of course, that was a dumb decision, so Brooks being fired may jumpstart Lamb's career. Or, they may pick up his team option (they may already have, and if they didn't they will) and trade him before he hits restricted free agency. Frankly, the best thing that could happen is for him to be traded to a bad team. I know that's weird to say, but if he could play for a bad team next season and get a lot of touches and minutes, he would show the league how undervalued he has been in OKC going into free agency. The dude is way too talented not to stick in the NBA, and, frankly, I believe he will turn into a longtime NBA starter. I do not think he'll ever be a great defender, because he is more of a loping runner than quick-footed side-to-side runner, but he can definitely be an average NBA defender because of his long arms and ability to help and recover (due to those long, loping strides that allow him to cover alot of ground quick--remember the clinching steal/layup we all love against SDSU?).

He'll never be a first option on O because he doesn't draw fouls and generally he takes low-percentage shots. I see him as a secondary option and jumpshooter, kind of like Kevin Martin or Rip. We should all be on the lookout for a Lamb trade in the next yr, and wherever he goes, I hope the franchise lets him get consistent minutes.

SHABAZZ: mia heat 5 ppg 2.5 apg 36% 3p 51 games, 20 min/g

Shabazz had an up and down yr, as did the Heat as a team, but I think he convinced any doubters in the Heat organization. This was an adjustment yr for Shabazz. The NC yr, he had the college game all figured out. The pace was too SLOW for Shabazz in that last yr. We all remember him dictating literally everything UConn did on offense based on strength of his off-the-dribble and pullup 3s. In the NBA, the pace is way faster, and the kind of complicated plays Shabazz was used to making were not there. There were lots of turnovers early as a result. Early on he was streaky from 3 as well, and in the middle of the season the Heat sent him to the D-League for a few days.

But eventually, the game slowed down some and he started playing like a role player, making the simple, smart plays and not dominating the ball on a veteran team. His shooting rounded into form and his ballhandling wizardry was more and more on display. I see the PG position becoming more and more about shooting from deep--the best PGs nowadays can all shoot 3s off-the-dribble and off of PnRs (Irving, Harden, Lilliard, Steph Curry of course), and Shabazz will be able to do that soon. His release is still lightning-quick and with a full yr under his belt and an offseason coming up, I expect him to become one of the best shooters at his position sooner rather than later. This will make him perfect for Spoelstra's Heat, who covet outside shooting. Furthermore, if defenses are worried about his pull up 3s, they will stick closer to him off of PnRs. This will allow him to mitigate his biggest weakness, which is getting to the rim. Shabazz has very little explosive athleticism and it shows at the NBA level. He has hard time getting to the rim and an even harder time finishing. That's why I think becoming an absolute bomber from 3 should be his next step, and I think the Heat know that too.

As an aside, watching Shabazz in the NBA is incredibly fun for a UConn fan. He is a fan favorite and I think that will continue. Heat fans love his balls and his deep shot, along with his stoic demeanor (he is not yet a vocal leader because he is so young), a demeanor that still cannot hide the confidence and fire we know so well. I see him as the third guard for the Heat for the next few years since the team will have Dragic and Wade back next yr (I guess Dragic could sign elsewhere, but I think he'll be back with MIA).

ANDRE DRUMMOND: det pistons 14 pts/14 reb 2 blocks/g

Dre is an absolute beast. Best young big in the league. Tenacious offensive rebounder--just a damn bloodhound when he sniffs an opportunity to throw mere mortals aside, grab a board, and dunk it. After alot of his OREBs, the other team just lets him dunk because they dont want to get in his way--which is especially crazy because coaches want guys to foul him in that spot because of his FT shooting.

Stan Van Gundy is doing a nice job featuring Dre, especially early in the yr. SVG knew the Pistons would be bad, so he gave Dre a lot of post touches even though when Dre reaches maturity, he won't be getting a ton of those. This helped with Dre's confidence since SVG was running everything through him, and of course now his jump hook is average because of the game reps.

Still, Drummond's game is going to be PnR. NOBODY his size can run with him, and those that can run with him can neither jump with him or bang with him. He's a nightmare running PnR. Having Greg Monroe on the team was bad for Dre, because Dre is most effective in a spread PnR, "4-out" system where he is the only guy assaulting the rim; 4 shooters would allow him plenty of space to do that. Monroe is probably going to sign with the Knicks, which is good for both guys. In the modern NBA, having both Drummond and Monroe is actually bad for an offense because the spacing gets so tight down low. Drummond showed great PnR chemistry with Reggie Jackson late in the yr (Reggie Jackson was traded there late in the yr), and if SVG can sign a stretch power forward, I expect Dre to be an All-Star next yr, a 16/14 with 60% FG type of season. Like Deandre Jordan but better. And if anyone saw the playoffs, Deandre was amazing this yr.

On D, Dre gets a lot of blocks but needs to learn not to overhelp and how to cut of drives from the perimeter. Sometimes he takes weird angles when he plays D in the PnR, and the guard will beat him. But that stuff is extrremely difficult and experience is the only teacher. Deandre Jordan still struggles with this, and it took Tyson Chandler a decade to get it down, Tim Duncan like 4 yrs. So I expect Dre to become an elite defender sooner rather than later.

Dre has a chance to become the best UConn alumnus ever if he reaches his ceiling, which I know is crazy to say because of Ray's career. But it's true. Drummond is pretty much the prototype for the modern NBA big man.

Sorry this is so long. I hope some of you read it and find it informative/interesting. I'd love to hear any objections to my view of these 4 guys.

Welcome and thanks for posting.

We all love KW, JL, SN, and AD, and we need to reestablish our place as an NBA factory. KW came close to an all-star season as did AD. We know SN will be fine, and JL has the tools to be a good 2 guard. Hopefully, they all take the next step this season, and we can continue putting good ones in the league.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of that but had to raise my unibrow when you called Drummond the "best young big in the league."

Ha, you're certainly right on that one, forgot about him! In my mind, I already categorize Davis as superstar level while Dre is still working toward that. Plus the fact that Davis does way more than a traditional big.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ha, you're certainly right on that one, forgot about him! In my mind, I already categorize Davis as superstar level while Dre is still working toward that. Plus the fact that Davis does way more than a traditional big.

If I had to start a franchise with one player, I think it would be Davis.

Reaction Score
What exactly do you mean by "Heat fans love [Shabazz's] balls"?

On a serious note, this was an enjoyable read. With 3 gremlins at home, my sports watching is reserved for UCONN, so it's nice to get the "cliffs notes" on how these guys are doing.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of that but had to raise my unibrow when you called Drummond the "best young big in the league."
I gave you a like for reading the entire post on behalf of all the ADD's on this Board. I may not be diagnosed but my concentration/attention sure ain't what it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom