Young UConn cornerbacks could be tested early and often (Fuller) | The Boneyard

Young UConn cornerbacks could be tested early and often (Fuller)

Reaction Score
Young UConn cornerbacks could be tested early and often

>>With the Huskies opening against the high-flying UCF offense and then going on the road to face Boise State and prolific senior quarterback Brett Rypien, who enters the season with more passing yards than any other Football Bowl Subdivision player, it would be a daunting task for a team full of veteran cornerbacks. But for one where three of the top four CBs are several months removed from playing their final high school game, it truly will be a baptism under fire.<<

>>The good news is that UConn coach Randy Edsall has proven that he knows how to find under-the-radar defensive back recruits. Six of his players during his first stint were drafted by NFL teams, and all six not only made NFL rosters but have combined to start 363 regular-season games. Dwayne Gratz was a three-star recruit, but Tyvon Branch, Darius Butler, Robert McClain, Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Byron Jones were two-star prospects coming out of high school, just like the current group of corners. It could also help that seven of the 12 teams on UConn’s schedule lost their top receiver and in some cases, the top two targets from 2017.

“We always want to try to find the fastest guy we could, but you need some length because a lot of teams in this league are going to try to isolate some guys 1-on-1 and there are some really good receivers in this league. So anytime you can get some guys with length, it only benefits you down the road,” Crocker said.<<

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for passable. If the defense looks "good" tomorrow, then it'll be a miracle

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If we lose 45-28 I'll feel pretty decent about our chances the rest of the season

Same. Milton is at least a top 10 FBS QB and we’re full of true freshman. That’d be a promising score

Reaction Score
Same. Milton is at least a top 10 FBS QB and we’re full of true freshman. That’d be a promising score
I will be interested to watch Milton's season without Frost. We're catching UCF at the best possible time, so if we don't even look competitive it will be worrisome

Reaction Score
The success of the D will be measured in the number of punts they force. Really do not care about the score or the yardage given up. Get some stops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The success of the D will be measured in the number of punts they force. Really do not care about the score. Get some stops.
and turnovers. we barely forced any last year.

Reaction Score
We’ll cause more turnovers this year. And watch for Terry and Fortt to come up big on D. There’s a reason Terry was named game captain.

Reaction Score
and turnovers. we barely forced any last year.
This is the key. Last year we gave away yardage like crazy with soft coverage, minimal pressure, and not much talent. It's still a question of whether we have the talent, but a more aggressive defense (if Crocker keeps his word) could help force some errors.

We're playing against other college offenses. College offenses tend to make mistakes under pressure. We'll get still burned I'm sure, but I'd rather get burned trying to take the ball away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom