You spoke, AD Dave Listens | The Boneyard

You spoke, AD Dave Listens

Reaction Score
IMG_1841.PNG

Finally! Some real good moves to get students to games. A winning product will help big time as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Excited to be able to get season tix at the game! We will be fighting the Bob Saget show and the weather a little bit for turnout. I understand why they made the move to Friday night, but not sure student turnout will be where it would be if it was Saturday instead. Fingers crossed!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Great that the student bus tickets are free! Hopefully they get into the stadium before kickoff... the other key is that they limit the number of busses/students that leave the game early to go back to campus. I'm glad to see these steps in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Great that the student bus tickets are free! Hopefully they get into the stadium before kickoff... the other key is that they limit the number of busses/students that leave the game early to go back to campus. I'm glad to see these steps in the right direction.

I don't think they should limit busses going back. Yes it's awful that most of the section files out at halftime but they shouldn't hold them hostage

Reaction Score
I don't think they should limit busses going back. Yes it's awful that most of the section files out at halftime but they shouldn't hold them hostage
You get free transport back and forth, free pizza, to watch YOUR COLLEGE team a limited number of weeks during YOUR college years.....not sure I'd call that being held "hostage".....especially if they prove ( as I'm betting they will) to be competitive!!

Reaction Score
I like all of this. But students are NOT the problem. They usually fill their section and they are always great at the games.

The problem is Ws.

Reaction Score
You get free transport back and forth, free pizza, to watch YOUR COLLEGE team a limited number of weeks during YOUR college years.....not sure I'd call that being held "hostage".....especially if they prove ( as I'm betting they will) to be competitive!!

Unfortunately that's not the culture. If you limit the busses back I guarantee even less would show up. Ease of access to and from is what holds back student attendance. Most students there aren't even college football fans. They're there for the party. They'll cheer obviously but they're not diehards and there's nothing wrong with that. We need more casual fans, not less.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Alabama and Clemson have the same problems about people leaving at halftime nothing is going to change that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately that's not the culture. If you limit the busses back I guarantee even less would show up. Ease of access to and from is what holds back student attendance. Most students there aren't even college football fans. They're there for the party. They'll cheer obviously but they're not diehards and there's nothing wrong with that. We need more casual fans, not less.
I'm not able to "guarantee" whether you're wrong or right. When noting the student attendance at other schools ( agreed often at winning programs) I'd have to believe we're among the exceptions as far as how our guys would react as well as the way they view UConn football games. You may be correct, but I'm hoping for a change once we're able to put together a competitive program that all can take pride in.

Reaction Score
I'm not able to "guarantee" whether you're wrong or right. When noting the student attendance at other schools ( agreed often at winning programs) I'd have to believe we're among the exceptions as far as how our guys would react as well as the way they view UConn football games. You may be correct, but I'm hoping for a change once we're able to put together a competitive program that all can take pride in.
I'm not very far removed from graduation. I can tell you with absolute certainty that less frequent return trip busses is a bad idea. The only thing that will keep students in their seats is a good game against a name brand opponent. Or Friday/Saturday night games. If all our games started at 7 I think we'd see a 10% attendance bump.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A Saturday in college started at 10am at the earliest and I had no intentions of getting on a bus. Getting lunch and back to the couch by noon was an accomplishment.

At the bigger programs, the student section is the last to fill in, if it even does and the first to empty. The size masks it on TV.

They show for big games, too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not very far removed from graduation. I can tell you with absolute certainty that less frequent return trip busses is a bad idea. The only thing that will keep students in their seats is a good game against a name brand opponent. Or Friday/Saturday night games. If all our games started at 7 I think we'd see a 10% attendance bump.
Why?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why?

Because on Friday night I'd get home or go to sleep on average between 2-3 am... that 8am bus was happening most of the time.

Reaction Score
View attachment 21764

Finally! Some real good moves to get students to games. A winning product will help big time as well.
Getting students to games? The only move is an on campus stadium. Dan Malloy and the state house might give token help, but private donations is the way to go. Maybe even try the Feds, I mean if NFL cities can get federal help to build sports stadiums, why not UCONN? Even hit up the 5000 wealthiest state residents. Lol

Reaction Score
I just toured UMD with my daughter and thought it was great that the cost of BB games and FB games is part of a student's tuition. The student gets an email for each game, they log in and print their ticket. Nothing more out-of pocket. There is a lottery process for the bigger draw hoop games, (two or three per year). All other sports are free with your ID, and you can walk to every venue on campus. I immediately thought of what a logistical nightmare UCONN students go through for FB and XL BB games.

Reaction Score
Okay. I guess you know the mindset of the current student body better than I am. I can't help but feel it's an unfortunate situation at my former school. In the past, some of us have made excuses for less than desirable student support/participation--- citing the stadium location and the transportation issue. Now Benedict comes out with free transportation...and throws in free pizza...and unless the buses leave at a satisfactory time, some measure of the student body, apparently won't bother to attend. Casual fans, partying or whatever....it's a sad commentary.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because on Friday night I'd get home or go to sleep on average between 2-3 am... that 8am bus was happening most of the time.
Fair enough but @JMick was talking about the need for early return buses. I was curious as to why the lack of them would mean less attendance in his view.

CL82

Reaction Score
Okay. I guess you know the mindset of the current student body better than I am. I can't help but feel it's an unfortunate situation at my former school. In the past, some of us have made excuses for less than desirable student support/participation--- citing the stadium location and the transportation issue. Now Benedict comes out with free transportation...and throws in free pizza...and unless the buses leave at a satisfactory time, some measure of the student body, apparently won't bother to attend. Casual fans, partying or whatever....it's a sad commentary.
Yep. Watching games at Memorial we could have walked out at anytime but I don't remember the same kind of late show/early departure BS we see now. Of course the presence of a pony keg or two in stands might have influenced that.

Reaction Score
Fair enough but @JMick was talking about the need for early return buses. I was curious as to why the lack of them would mean less attendance in his view.

it's pretty simple psychology. If you tell people you can come for free but can't leave when you want, less people are going to come. A lot of people only plan to stay until halftime, so the key is keeping people there because they want to be there.

Reaction Score
it's pretty simple psychology. If you tell people you can come for free but can't leave when you want, less people are going to come. A lot of people only plan to stay until halftime, so the key is keeping people there because they want to be there.

Same with being in the seats at game time, only thing is to make the product inside better than drinking and eating in the parking lot

Reaction Score
Same with being in the seats at game time, only thing is to make the product inside better than drinking and eating in the parking lot
Yup. In an ideal world you promote it like a minor league baseball game. An hour before kickoff it's half priced beer with a student ticket and then at halftime it's a free beer with any food purchase. But unfortunately that likely wouldn't fly with the administration or state government.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom