Yogi and Geno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
have much in common. For example:
  • they are both of Italian heritage
  • both grew up in a tough inner city
  • both went to and endured catholic schools
  • both were not afraid to go after what they wanted and didn’t let anyone stand in their way
  • both are/were somewhat vertically challenged for their chosen profession
  • both are/were NEVER hesitant about expressing their views …just to name a few.

Here are 25 of Yogi’s “Yogi-isms” that Geno might/could use or adapt in his job as a basketball coach.

Which would you like to see him use, and in what situation or with whom in particular?

My favorite is #4. I think it would be a hoot if he used this as the last line of his first speech at the first practice that included all incoming freshman. :confused: :eek: :(

1. Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.
  2. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.
  3. I never said most of the things I said.
  4. In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
  5. If people don't want to come to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them.
  6. If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer.
  7. If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up someplace else.
  8. It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.
  9. I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question.
  10. It ain't over 'til it's over.
  11. It ain't the heat, it's the humility.
  12. It gets late early out here.
  13. It's like deja vu all over again.
  14. Make a game plan and stick to it. Unless it's not working.
  15. Ninety percent of the putts that are short don't go in.
  16. Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
  17. Pair up in threes.
  18. The future ain't what it used to be.
  19. There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em.
  20. We made too many wrong mistakes.
  21. We were overwhelming underdogs.
  22. You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left.
  23. You can observe a lot just by watching.
  24. You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.
  25. What time is it: You mean now?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I've long felt that #15 is more accurate than most folks think. 90% of short putts don't go in - the other 10% are mis-reads, and make it to the cup.

Reaction Score
"endured": is that your word or theirs?
Mine. And it didn't surface until well after the fact when I realized that the vast majority of the good nuns of the day were trained not to be powerful teachers, but to be powerful wardens. If I'm in the minority on this, it's a very large minority. I drank the cool-aid back then, fortunately it didn't kill me, and I have long since purged it. You?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Mine. And it didn't surface until well after the fact when I realized that the vast majority of the good nuns of the day were trained not to be powerful teachers, but to be powerful wardens. If I'm in the minority on this, it's a very large minority. I drank the cool-aid back then, fortunately it didn't kill me, and I have long since purged it. You?
I resemble those remarks! :)

Reaction Score
Yogi watching a Steve McQueen movie. "It's one of the ones he made when he was alive."

Reaction Score

I had a wo0nderful experience, eight grades of it. They set the tone for my character formation in a rather tough environment where I could very easily have been sucked into the other side of life. I am eternally (literally) grateful for the faith and the discipline. I didn't appreciate it then, but sure do now.

Reaction Score

Incidentally, the nuns must have done alright for Yogi, one of the most loved athletes in history.
"There was something called SRA Reading Laboratory we used at the Catholic grammar school in my hometown. The stories were printed on glossy cards. There was a color-coding to mark improvement in comprehension. One of those cards left an 11-year-old boy with the impression that Yogi Berra was the smartest guy in the world."
http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-jacobs-column-yogi-berra-dies-0924-20150923-column.html

Reaction Score
Perfect word Javaman,I endured catholic school for 8 years and served as a alter boy for 3.Memere sat with the nuns 7 days a week for mass.She knew everything I did and I mean everything,LOL! RIP Yogi,one of the greatest Yankees ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom