Yes, one more Tiffany Hayes thread | The Boneyard

Yes, one more Tiffany Hayes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi. Maya Moore. Tiffany Hayes.

Wait, what?

Any time your name joins DT and Maya, and only those two, you've done something pretty significant, and this certainly qualifies: tonight Tiffany became only the third UConn player, and seventh from any school, to start in four Final Fours.

What does it take to accomplish a feat like this? Well, having great teammates helps. Diana's teammates? Hardly slouches, especially her first two years. Maya? Well, she only had Renee Montgomery, Tina Charles...and Tiffany Hayes.

You also have to stay healthy enough to play. Ask Shea how easy that is. Or Sue. Or Svet. Or Nykesha. Or, for that matter, Caroline, whose first injury in a UConn jersey paved the way for Tiffany to start midway through their freshman seasons. Tiff stayed healthy enough to play all right, all the while playing with a reckless physical abandon that sometimes made me wonder if she was made of rubber. Recent history proves she's not; she's been playing on a broken foot. Let me say that again slightly differently. She made the high energy plays down the stretch against fellow #1 seed and Final Four entrant Notre Dame in the BET finals...on a broken foot. She beat Kentucky at their own frenetic, high-energy, high-intensity game...on a broken foot. Matt Mitchell has 11 bodies he can throw at an opponent. Geno threw Tiffany Hayes (on a broken foot) right back. The latter prevailed.

Finally, you have to be a damn good player, and Tiffany's certainly been that. She's walked tantalizingly along the fine line between very good and great. The flashes of greatness have made us hunger for more of the same, more frequently. Perhaps that's not quite in her. But she gave everything she had, every game, every possession, every drive to the basket, every blanket-like coverage of an opposing player. Geno should make a highlight reel of Tiffany Hayes, bring Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck into his office, and show them the footage. It's quite possible any or all of them have a capacity for greatness beyond Tiff's reach, but they all have a ton they could learn from her about what it means to compete, notwithstanding the titles, medals, and accollades.

And who knows? Thanks in no small part to her effort, Tiff has another game to play, possibly two. You never knew what would happen when Tiff had the ball in her hands. Perhaps, like all great suspense stories, the final scene will be the most satisfyingly climactic of them all.

Reaction Score
Best post of the night, day, month, etc. I agree completely! I'm not going to rehash everything I said in another post, but she made a big statement tonight! Can't be more proud of her. No matter what happens down the line, I can always look at this game as a consummate Tiffany Hayes performance.

Reaction Score
Three years with Maya did in fact help. But she played like a champ tonight. Bring it for two more....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff has a very different build than Shea or Mel, but she is equally tough. As noted in another thread, the only player who could knock Tiff out of a game was Maya. Skilled, fast, athletic, and durable. She earned herself another game in a Husky uniform. Well done!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is my memory faulty or do I recall accurately how Daddy Choc, VAUConn and I occasionally felt outnumbered and even embattled in midseason as we defended Tiffany against a big bunch of "Tiff-bashers" (Geno's term, not mine).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I posted an erroneous count in another thread. Tiffany now has 147 career wins. Only the amazing Maya Moore has more--150. Tiff is going for 148 and then (hopefully) 149.

"I'm going to have the best college experience ever." Yep!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think I posted an erroneous count in another thread. Tiffany now has 147 career wins. Only the amazing Maya Moore has more--150. Tiff is going for 148 and then (hopefully) 149.

"I'm going to have the best college experience ever." Yep!
Tiff has more games played?
where is Tiff on the scoring leaders board?

Kib, thanks... Tiff was solid all along!

Reaction Score
Is my memory faulty or do I recall accurately how Daddy Choc, VAUConn and I occasionally felt outnumbered and even embattled in midseason as we defended Tiffany against a big bunch of "Tiff-bashers" (Geno's term, not mine).

Thanx Kibitzer. Greatly appreciated. We will leave the tailgate of our bandwagon wide open.

Congratulations to Ms Hayes for being named 3rd Team All American; A wonderful achievement. There are other teams yet to be named that might still earn a coveted spot on The Wall.

I have posted on a few occasions that UConn has never been to a Final Four without a 1st Team All American and has never won a national championship with a National Player of the Year. If Tiffany is not named to a 1st Team, and if a NPOY does not emerge from its current roster, and UConn still goes on to win this year's national championship, it will go down as the most impressively improbable feat in the illustrious history of UConn Women's Basketball; For which Tiffany will have played a major, major role.

Reaction Score
I can't help but think that this team is full of surprises. I listened last night as Dave and Doiris talked about the Kentucky coach's game plan( wear down Stef "she'd get tired", "run them out of the building", shoot lights out, blah blah. As I sat there expecting to see them do all those things, I kept wathing our kids adjust and work their asses off , and run KENTUCKY out of the building , and defend, defend, defend. I thought this was a bridge year. Guess not!! Great job by Tiffany, Kelly, Stef ( playing smart with two fouls) and Kaleena working hard rebounding until her shot returned. They earned this one.

Reaction Score
Unquestionably, she did have something to prove - performance in big games. She is proving it now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff has more games played?
where is Tiff on the scoring leaders board?

Kib, thanks... Tiff was solid all along!
If Tiff gets to the NC game, she'll have more games played than Maya but fewer wins. Kalana, thanks to a redshirt and 4+ seasons, has the record for games played.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If Tiff gets to the NC game, she'll have more games played than Maya but fewer wins. Kalana, thanks to a redshirt and 4+ seasons, has the record for games played.
thank you Sir

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watched the game post the NotreDemolition game and Tiff was amazing - spider woman all over the court. The fall that had the commentators gasping was scarey, but Tiff shrugged it off and got back in their. Just a great, great game from her and the entire defense was awesome in the second half ... Kentucky must have thought we had more than 5 on the floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom