Yanks-Cleveland game | The Boneyard

Yanks-Cleveland game

Reaction Score
Playoff baseball is the best. Hands down. If you've stopped watching baseball, come back, no one will 'Judge' you. (Sorry)
Great game even as a Yankee fan I canappreciate that game.
Both bullpens showing cracks
I think it’s coming back to Yankee Stadium

Reaction Score
Wish the Mets series was as fun. The magic has officially run out. Dodgers are built for the post season with a roster that takes pitches and makes pitchers work, meanwhile Mets a collection of free swingers that often wave at balls in big at bats. Dodgers also have a beast of a bullpen meanwhile if Mets SP can’t go deep they’re generally screwed. Guys like Maton and Young should never see a post season inning.

Mendoza has been interesting too - it’s either stubborn loyalty or a lack of data in many of his decisions with the BP and lineup. Going with an ice cold JD Martinez over Winker against righties has made no sense at all. The odd Senga starts make zero sense to me as well. Why use a guy for 2 innings to start that hasn’t pitched all year? Fun ride but ceiling hit against a really good LA team who I expect to beat the Yanks in the WS.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And a lot of people missed it. I thought maybe it was the game feed so I switched over to the Dodgers game. It was doing the same thing. It was like a 1980's Max Headroom clip of the same 5 seconds constantly playing and rewinding.

I exited Hulu and when I tried to select it, it wanted me to log in fresh. And then it wouldn't recognize my log in credentials.
Streaming, cable, OTA....................any of those could go wrong for different reasons. I can only imagine the blowback if this happened during the Super Bowl.

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/sports-...nd Guardians beat the,front of the home crowd.

Reaction Score
And a lot of people missed it. I thought maybe it was the game feed so I switched over to the Dodgers game. It was doing the same thing. It was like a 1980's Max Headroom clip of the same 5 seconds constantly playing and rewinding.

I exited Hulu and when I tried to select it, it wanted me to log in fresh. And then it wouldn't recognize my log in credentials.
Streaming, cable, OTA....................any of those could go wrong for different reasons. I can only imagine the blowback if this happened during the Super Bowl.

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/sports-illustrated/da87a1b6/hulu-live-crashing-during-mlb-playoffs-left-fans-furious/#:~:text=The streaming service went down,of Guardians-Yankees Game 3.&text=The Cleveland Guardians beat the,front of the home crowd.
I was experiencing huge problems all game. I had to resort to that TruTV statcast...what a waste. They show a 'pitch prediction' metric and they are wrong 1/2 the time. Ha

Reaction Score
Mendoza has been interesting too - it’s either stubborn loyalty or a lack of data in many of his decisions with the BP and lineup. Going with an ice cold JD Martinez over Winker against righties has made no sense at all. The odd Senga starts make zero sense to me as well. Why use a guy for 2 innings to start that hasn’t pitched all year? Fun ride but ceiling hit against a really good LA team who I expect to beat the Yanks in the WS.
Winker should have started against Buehler but Yamamoto has reverse splits so you want as many righties in against him as possible. And you start Senga because he's your ace and that formula just worked to beat the best pitcher in baseball against the Phillies.

Mendoza has been fine, the players just aren't performing. Half the starting lineup isn't hitting, but the options on the bench are even worse. Same with the bullpen

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This might seem a strange take given how the game ended, but i thought Weaver was tring and thought at the time after he had given up the long double that maybe they should bring in Holmes who is more of a ground ball pitcher to finish off the game. Of course who knows what would have happened. Yanks live by the long ball and died by the long ball. Good fun game.

Reaction Score
Winker should have started against Buehler but Yamamoto has reverse splits so you want as many righties in against him as possible. And you start Senga because he's your ace and that formula just worked to beat the best pitcher in baseball against the Phillies.

Mendoza has been fine, the players just aren't performing. Half the starting lineup isn't hitting, but the options on the bench are even worse. Same with the bullpen
Disagree with the Senga call. Go with what got you there, and honor those guys. Don’t get cute taking some guy that’s been on the IR all year and start him just because he’s flagged as the “ace”. The Mets had 5 guys pitch as good as Senga down the stretch, let them go 5-7 innings and then see how best to use your BP, with Senga as an option. Throwing a guy out there for 2 innings to start a game when you have 5 capable starters which have been the biggest plus on the team is mind boggling to me.

Continuously rolling Maton and Butto out there when it’s shown not to work is also perplexing. I love Mendoza but the guy could use some staff management courses.

Winker had 3 HRs in 17 ABs vs Buehler lifetime and he started JD for some reason. This is 101 stuff. The decision making leaves me scratching my head. And this for a guy that hasn’t hit a lick in the last month, and then went on to K 3 out of 4 ABs. Harrison Bader yesterday was another one - guy can’t hit, he’s purely defensive. He was 0-2 with 2ks. Also would never put McNeil up in that situation last night. Yes it’s on the players but baseball is as data driven a sport as it gets, use it.

Reaction Score
Disagree with the Senga call. Go with what got you there, and honor those guys. Don’t get cute taking some guy that’s been on the IR all year and start him just because he’s flagged as the “ace”. The Mets had 5 guys pitch as good as Senga down the stretch, let them go 5-7 innings and then see how best to use your BP, with Senga as an option. Throwing a guy out there for 2 innings to start a game when you have 5 capable starters which have been the biggest plus on the team is mind boggling to me.

Continuously rolling Maton and Butto out there when it’s shown not to work is also perplexing. I love Mendoza but the guy could use some staff management courses.

Winker had 3 HRs in 17 ABs vs Buehler lifetime and he started JD for some reason. This is 101 stuff. The decision making leaves me scratching my head. And this for a guy that hasn’t hit a lick in the last month, and then went on to K 3 out of 4 ABs. Harrison Bader yesterday was another one - guy can’t hit, he’s purely defensive. He was 0-2 with 2ks. Also would never put McNeil up in that situation last night. Yes it’s on the players but baseball is as data driven a sport as it gets, use it.
But your last paragraph is really highlighting what the issue is and why I don't blame Mendoza. I agree with you on Winker vs Buehler, but everything else is a lose lose situation. You're right that JD Martinez hasn't hit for a month, but Jesse Winker was 3 for 42 to end the year. Bader is all defense and can't hit, but he's replacing Tyrone Taylor who's also all defense and can't hit recently. Maton and Butto have looked awful, but so has every other RP on the roster. These decisions are data driven, you just don't agree with the data

Reaction Score
Haven't watched an inning of major league baseball since the Atlanta All Star game...........................
Jump back in. Especially if it's dodgers yanks WS

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But your last paragraph is really highlighting what the issue is and why I don't blame Mendoza. I agree with you on Winker vs Buehler, but everything else is a lose lose situation. You're right that JD Martinez hasn't hit for a month, but Jesse Winker was 3 for 42 to end the year. Bader is all defense and can't hit, but he's replacing Tyrone Taylor who's also all defense and can't hit recently. Maton and Butto have looked awful, but so has every other RP on the roster. These decisions are data driven, you just don't agree with the data
I get what you’re saying, but in the least use your strengths in the most effective way, and that’s your 5 man rotation. In this case it’s really a 6 man. In a 7 game series you roll your best 4 out to start and then if they crap the bed or you need to bridge to Diaz, use your other 2 to get you there. The whole Senga experiment nullifies that as it forces you to use 2 of them at a point where it may be unnecessary.

Winker is batting like 285 in the playoffs and has a HR. JD is batting abysmally and hasn’t had an extra base hit as long as I can remember. He looks lost at the plate, swung at a breaking pitch against Buehler that he missed by 2 feet. How do you roll that guy back out there? Just on pure intangibles Winker brings some life out there, where JD doesn’t. Some of its data but then some of it is the “how” in the data. The how in JDs data is worst than the data.

Gonna be curious to what happens with Pete. He’s not a playoff hitter and is gonna be on the wrong side of 30, showing clear digression in a contract year. Vientos, Lindor, Acuna would be a fun infield. Nimmo is a keeper. Alvarez you have to see through. Then really have to start filling out the other spots with some guys that know how to hit. Love Marte but he’s also getting there in age. And overhaul that BP.

You can tell LA brass built this team with the post season and data in mind, just by the type of player, and their approach at the plate. Mets pitchers are walking batters at record breaking numbers but much of that is due to the patient LAD approach at the plate. Meanwhile Mets hitters give away strikes at an alarming rate. And the LAD bullpen is unreal, which makes for a lot of flexibility in the playoffs. The team top to bottom is just so fundamentally sound. Feels a lot like the 90s Yanks in makeup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy game. These playoffs have been pretty good so far. Mets ride looks like it’s coming to end. Dodgers are too tuff

Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying, but in the least use your strengths in the most effective way, and that’s your 5 man rotation. In this case it’s really a 6 man. In a 7 game series you roll your best 4 out to start and then if they crap the bed or you need to bridge to Diaz, use your other 2 to get you there. The whole Senga experiment nullifies that as it forces you to use 2 of them at a point where it may be unnecessary.

Winker is batting like 285 in the playoffs and has a HR. JD is batting abysmally and hasn’t had an extra base hit as long as I can remember. He looks lost at the plate, swung at a breaking pitch against Buehler that he missed by 2 feet. How do you roll that guy back out there? Just on pure intangibles Winker brings some life out there, where JD doesn’t. Some of its data but then some of it is the “how” in the data. The how in JDs data is worst than the data.
I agree with this, especially the rotation use. Even though Diaz hasn't been the best, you use your studs in this situation. Using starters as bridges has been successful for other teams. But....I also think that this Dodgers lineup may expose any pitching strategy. It's just too much

Reaction Score
Jump back in. Especially if it's dodgers yanks WS
One consolation with the Mets likely getting bumped is this matchup. With MLB trending as is, will be a nice additional boost for the sport having its two biggest brands and two biggest players on the big stage.

Dodgers in 6.

Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying, but in the least use your strengths in the most effective way, and that’s your 5 man rotation. In this case it’s really a 6 man. In a 7 game series
And in my opinion starting Senga game 1 is the best way to do that. Even ignoring the injury, they've been giving him extra days between starts and starting him game 1 means there's a chance you can use him again in game 6 or 7 if it gets there. The Senga complaints are just really weird to me when everyone was completely silent a week ago when he started and looked great against the Phillies

Reaction Score
And in my opinion starting Senga game 1 is the best way to do that. Even ignoring the injury, they've been giving him extra days between starts and starting him game 1 means there's a chance you can use him again in game 6 or 7 if it gets there. The Senga complaints are just really weird to me when everyone was completely silent a week ago when he started and looked great against the Phillies
I wasn’t for it then either. He threw two innings against the Phil’s and gave up a run. Let’s not get carried away with his effectiveness. DP was more of the star of the show there, should have started. The whole point is if a guy has 2-3 innings max, throw him after a real SP gives you 5-7, if you need to. Starting Senga is just messier and more of a bullpen approach, which is odd for game 1.

Meanwhile Mendoza has smartened up in a do or die game and starting DP tonight. Would be curious as to the data used with the Mets, as we know Cohen believes in it and has every resource imaginable. Or if they let Carlos go with more of his “gutt”.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t for it then either. He threw two innings against the Phil’s and gave up a run. Let’s not get carried away with his effectiveness. DP was more of the star of the show there, should have started. The whole point is if a guy has 2-3 innings max, throw him after a real SP gives you 5-7, if you need to. Starting Senga is just messier and more of a bullpen approach, which is odd for game 1.

Meanwhile Mendoza has smartened up in a do or die game and starting DP tonight. Would be curious as to the data used with the Mets, as we know Cohen believes in it and has every resource imaginable. Or if they let Carlos go with more of his “gutt”.
It's not Mendoza smartening up, Senga was never coming back on short rest (for him) for game 5. The Mets are one of the most analytical teams in baseball with Cohen and Stearns, there's no way they're letting Mendoza just freestyle and manage with his gut

Reaction Score
It's not Mendoza smartening up, Senga was never coming back on short rest (for him) for game 5. The Mets are one of the most analytical teams in baseball with Cohen and Stearns, there's no way they're letting Mendoza just freestyle and manage with his gut
Senga threw 30 pitches on Sunday. You’re telling me they’re throwing a guy out there to start games who can’t bounce back in the playoffs on 5 days rest of 30 pitches? If ever the reason not to start him to begin with. Unless Senga has some ungodly record against the Dodgers(Ohtani, Betts) there was no reason to use him as a starter at all in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Senga threw 30 pitches on Sunday. You’re telling me they’re throwing a guy out there to start games who can’t bounce back in the playoffs on 5 days rest of 30 pitches? If ever the reason not to start him to begin with. Unless Senga has some ungodly record against the Dodgers(Ohtani, Betts) there was no reason to use him as a starter at all in the playoffs.
It's 4 days rest, and yes that's what I'm saying. That's why they planned on moving to a 6 man rotation this year, because Senga is more comfortable pitching with 5 days rest over the traditional American standard of 4 days.

You're getting hung up on Senga being a "starter". You have your best pitcher for a few innings and want to maximize how much you get out of him in a series. The first way you do that is by using him in game 1. The second way is by starting him so you know you're getting him against their best hitters the maximum amount of times, and then handing it off to Peterson who has shown he's capable of coming in and dominating for multiple innings in a relief role

Reaction Score

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/sports-illustrated/da87a1b6/hulu-live-crashing-during-mlb-playoffs-left-fans-furious/#:~:text=The streaming service went down,of Guardians-Yankees Game 3.&text=The Cleveland Guardians beat the,front of the home crowd.
I had Hulu but switched because of streaming issues. YouTube tv is infinitely better. Similar price points

Reaction Score
It's 4 days rest, and yes that's what I'm saying. That's why they planned on moving to a 6 man rotation this year, because Senga is more comfortable pitching with 5 days rest over the traditional American standard of 4 days.

You're getting hung up on Senga being a "starter". You have your best pitcher for a few innings and want to maximize how much you get out of him in a series. The first way you do that is by using him in game 1. The second way is by starting him so you know you're getting him against their best hitters the maximum amount of times, and then handing it off to Peterson who has shown he's capable of coming in and dominating for multiple innings in a relief role
But is he verifiably our best pitcher after being out for an entire year, meanwhile 5 other guys stepped up to get you here? Especially with a short chain? Idk, again see your point but still find gaps in the logic.

Reaction Score
But is he verifiably our best pitcher after being out for an entire year, meanwhile 5 other guys stepped up to get you here? Especially with a short chain? Idk, again see your point but still find gaps in the logic.
In my mind yes, the only debatable one is Manaea. When one of your best players fights all year to get healthy and contribute, and then you don't play him, that's how you lose the locker room and end up with guys who want to quit on the team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom