OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The minor league thing was a separate issue. They shouldn't have to endure all that while making next to nothing, which is why I'm happy there's reform coming. I can imagine that MiLB makes considerably more money than the G-League, so I don't necessarily buy that point. Salaries should be better for these younger players, even if it's not a million a year. They shouldn't have to worry about other jobs during the offseason.
Disagree. It wasn't so long ago that low level Major Leaguers had off season jobs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Like the article starts at 2010 now what happened in 2009?
2009 did not occur in the 2010s decade.

Reaction Score
Disagree. It wasn't so long ago that low level Major Leaguers had off season jobs.

They still do. They have to pay for their own meals also (they get $25/ day per diem) and often live with host families

Unless you're a high draft pick with large signing bonus you live a horrible life grinding to make it

According to MLB, the average salary for minor league players in 2017 ranged from $10,000 a month for Class AAA, right below the majors, to $1,100 per month in short-season or rookie leagues. Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, equaling $15,080 a year for a 40-hour work week.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction Score
Speaking as a Pirates fan, let's not forget it was a big market team (Red Sox) who forced a change to the draft because a small market team (Pirates) actually did spend significant $$ on the draft, outspending every other team in MLB for several years before the "draft pool" was instituted. See Bell, Josh.
Do you have a link for this?
I find it hard to believe that the Red Sox - who loved to splurge in the amateur draft while some teams didn't want to go after high bonus guys - would push for a policy that would HURT the Red Sox.
If they pushed for this, that's really short-sighted on their part just because of what Pittsburgh did.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yankees lacked a leadoff hitter to go out and swipe 30-40 bags a year. If all these Stanton trade rumors are true they should prioritize to this and starting pitching.

As @mauconnfan stated earlier, way too many one dimensional .230 power hitters.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Silly article. Find an anomaly and build a story out of it.
What does the $2 billion compare to? Sox, Dodgers, Cubs....And look at the trends. Yankees have been reducing payroll.
Not to mention, has there ever been another team to make it to the World Series every decade for a hundred years? Or win more than 25% of the World Series in a century? So the only way the Yankees are lacking is in comparison to themselves.
The article's words " not even an appearance in the world series in ten years" in and of itself is stupid. Let's make a list of every team's decades without "even appearing" in a World Series.
This whole overdone topic speaks to Yankee greatness and how much even our detractor's see us on another level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good thing the Yankees as of late focus on their farm system and situational free agent adds (with Edwin and Stanton being the outliers here). It’s a better strategy than buying everything.
Well, the FA strategy worked for George. One factor today is that MLB is much more strict about drugs, including things like amphetamines, putting a premium on natural athleticism, and making older players (often the guys George liked) less valuable.

Reaction Score
It’d be pretty cool if all the team owners that get tens of millions in luxury tax payouts and revenue sharing invested all that money into their squads instead of pocketing it and calling themselves too destitute to compete. Say what you will about Yankee or Red Sox ownership but at least they want to win instead of simply turn a personal profit.
And NY has never tanked like some teams - um, Houston 51-111 record back in 2013 - and have been, more or less, competitive every year. When you get to the ALCS, sometimes a single pitch or hit can put you over that hurdle.

Reaction Score
The roster next year is going to scare people. It’s time for aggressive moves.

Reaction Score
Problem is that Hal is not George...he's more concerned about the budget than winning World Series. George would have never let Keuchel get to Atlanta or Corbin to the Phillies over a few million.....and the Yanks wouldn't have been forced to over work the pen ALL season.

The halcyon days are over for the Yanks...they might win on occasion and Hal will be fine with that...as long as they are on budget.

He's basically a more generous version of Wilpon IMO

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Problem is that Hal is not George...he's more concerned about the budget than winning World Series. George would have never let Keuchel get to Atlanta or Corbin to the Phillies over a few million.....and the Yanks wouldn't have been forced to over work the pen ALL season.

The halcyon days are over for the Yanks...they might win on occasion and Hal will be fine with that...as long as they are on budget.

He's basically a more generous version of Wilpon IMO

At least Hal has paid the tax before.

Wilpon acts like his team is in StL and not New York freaking city.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nobody likes a winner

Nah, they're just the back stabbing, petty types. Not my scene. Smearing Tito on the way out. The infighting in the front office. Lucchino was one of the worst dudes in baseball. Henry so bitter the Pats are the number 1 game in town. That last one is amusing. But there's tons of reasons.

I'm a Sox fan. Appreciate the championships. But I don't have to like the ownership.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Appreciate the championships.
It always rankled when I heard people criticizing Sox fans as spoiled and entitled. They weren't talking about me or any Sox fans I know. I understand a little better now.

Reaction Score
It always rankled when I heard people criticizing Sox fans as spoiled and entitled. They weren't talking about me or any Sox fans I know. I understand a little better now.

All Boston sports fans under 30 are spoiled and have no clue about the torture the older Boston sports fans went through. They have seen championships and multiple championships in every major sport. They have no clue what it's like to struggle or be a basement dweller

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Spoiled and entitled? lol It's the opposite. Being able to take an honest look at somebody, putting aside the winning they give you, is the sign of a measured perspective.

If you ignore someone's crap traits because they bring you wins, that's a negative on you, not anyone else. It's a similar mentality that allows wife beaters to play in the NFL.

I can separate ownership and the team on the field. It's not a huge mental leap.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
All Boston sports fans under 30 are spoiled and have no clue about the torture the older Boston sports fans went through. They have seen championships and multiple championships in every major sport. They have no clue what it's like to struggle or be a basement dweller

I'm not under 30.

the Q

Reaction Score
Spoiled and entitled? lol It's the opposite. Being able to take an honest look at somebody, putting aside the winning they give you, is the sign of a measured perspective.

If you ignore someone's crap traits because they bring you wins, that's a negative on you, not anyone else. It's a similar mentality that allows wife beaters to play in the NFL.

I can separate ownership and the team on the field. It's not a huge mental leap.

that’s what they’re paid to do...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
that’s what they’re paid to do...

Trash people? Nah. I know a player and have heard enough stories. Doesn't matter to me, as I can accept my own hypocrisy as a fan, but I sure as snow ain't gonna like them. You don't have to be a crap person to be successful.

the Q

Reaction Score
Trash people? Nah. I know a player and have heard enough stories. Doesn't matter to me, as I can accept my own hypocrisy as a fan, but I sure as snow ain't gonna like them. You don't have to be a crap person to be successful.

They’re not paid to do anything else but perform.

That’s just what it is.

Red Sox ownership had too much ego to let Tito and Theo keep up their run and get all the credit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Red Sox ownership had too much ego to let Tito and Theo keep up their run and get all the credit.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Players are all mostly cool (there's usually some nitwits, but that goes with the territory. Owners are lame. But they win.

Reaction Score
At least Hal has paid the tax before.

Wilpon acts like his team is in StL and not New York freaking city.
St.l is a great baseball city they draw well even when they stink

the Q

Reaction Score
St.l is a great baseball city they draw well even when they stink

No doubt. I just mean market size.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Players are all mostly cool (there's usually some nitwits, but that goes with the territory. Owners are lame. But they win.

whxib is fine.

i can hate the ownership but appreciate that they arent wilpon cheap nor are they people I may want to hang hot with (minus being rich lol) and still root for them.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes, the days of the Yankees winning 4or 5 WS every decade are behind us. Believe it or not free-agency helped its demise. Jobs as a media spokesman and cash from winning the Series mean little to players making millions of tens of millions per year.
But still, which team would you rather be? Yanks have youth, farm system, revenue beyond all others. Plus a great GM that can really maximize a trade (even though he does shy away from top starters).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom