Yankkes offer Youkalis | The Boneyard

Yankkes offer Youkalis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Indians also offered and maybe Francona gives them an edge. I don't believe he can make it a full season playing 3B.

Reaction Score
Indians also offered and maybe Francona gives them an edge. I don't believe he can make it a full season playing 3B.

IMO, Youkalis would be a great Yankee and may help change the Yankees clubhouse atmosphere for the better.

Reaction Score
IMO, Youkalis would be a great Yankee and may help change the Yankees clubhouse atmosphere for the better.
From what I read and observed, Youkilis is a very intense player who tends to annoy his teammates. When he does not succeed at the plate, he carries it with him. On the other hand, he has always been someone who works the count and is solid defensively in both corner positions. I think his best years are behind him and I am really surprised that Cashman let Chavez get away. He would have been a much better option.

Reaction Score
From what I read and observed, Youkilis is a very intense player who tends to annoy his teammates. When he does not succeed at the plate, he carries it with him. On the other hand, he has always been someone who works the count and is solid defensively in both corner positions. I think his best years are behind him and I am really surprised that Cashman let Chavez get away. He would have been a much better option.
Youkalis is intense but what annoys his teamates (Manny went after him) is that he never thinks that any pitch he takes is a strike and he constantly argues with the umpire. His teamates believe that the umpire takes it out on them.
Youkalis brings some of the same problems to the table as Chavez: durability. The question is if either of these players can play 3B everyday and stay in the lineup. I don't think Youkalis can and a better option for him would be to sign a team where he could play 1B.
The problem for all the teams with needs is that there really isn't a lot out there and if you eliminate a trade option, Youkalis was probably the best bet for the Yankees. We'll just have to see if he can stay in the lineup.

Reaction Score

Ha...no brainer it would seem, Chavez for $3 million or Youkalis for $12 million....I think I could be GM for the Yankees!

Reaction Score
I think Youkilis is using the Yankees big 1 year deal to try to beef up Cleveland's offer a bit. He knows Cleveland has money to spend - they were offering Victorino 44 mil.
It makes sense for him to go to Cleveland for a few reasons
1) He's from Ohio
2) Francona
3) He knows he's not a 3B anymore and he probably wants his body to settle down as his career winds down. His range is pretty bad at 3B but pretty good at 1B
4) He hates headhunter Joba
5) He may be one of those guys who doesn't want to cross the line between rivalries. Some guys do it when they have no other job offer, some do it cause they just want top dollar (Damon) and some refuse to do it at all. He may just want to keep getting a nice hand everytime he comes back to Boston.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a Sox and Tito fan, I hope he signs with the Yanks. Pierce said it best, "Please, oh please [sign Youk]. Overpay for a red-assed clubhouse lawyer who's headed down the other side of the hill on a rocket sled. Wreck your infield and your chemistry all at once. When Manny Ramirez popped him, most of the opinion was on Manny's side. That says something..."

Reaction Score
As a Sox and Tito fan, I hope he signs with the Yanks. Pierce said it best, "Please, oh please [sign Youk]. Overpay for a red-assed clubhouse lawyer who's headed down the other side of the hill on a rocket sled. Wreck your infield and your chemistry all at once. When Manny Ramirez popped him, most of the opinion was on Manny's side. That says something..."

Typical Fung Wah from a Sawks fan right here.........LOL

Reaction Score
Well, he is signed with the Yanks - YYOOOUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is happening my world? Youk with the Yanks and Uconn sports in a conference I wont recognize within a year or two.

Reaction Score
Well, he is signed with the Yanks - YYOOOUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is happening my world? Youk with the Yanks and Uconn sports in a conference I wont recognize within a year or two.

LOL how long before Youk gets injured replacing the injured ARod? Isn't Swisher a better use of money then the injury prone, fading, older then he looks 34 year old, cry baby, club house rat?

Reaction Score
LOL how long before Youk gets injured replacing the injured ARod? Isn't Swisher a better use of money then the injury prone, fading, older then he looks 34 year old, cry baby, club house rat?
I don't know about that other stuff but Youkalis plays hard when he is in there. The Yankees only gave him a 1 year contract so they are off the hook after this season. He won't make it until July without missing major time.
The Sox are looking at Swisher and I hope they don't sign him because as shaky as he was in RF for the Yanks he'll be awful in the big RF in Fenway. Going defense first in the OF corners goes against everything I believe but if you don't have a good defensive player in RF in Fenway you are screwed. Swisher is not the answer.

Reaction Score
Not if Yanks are serious about getting below 189 mil in 2014 which it appears they are. Youk is a one year deal. So they will have Mariano, Andy, Jeter, Youk, Kuroda and Grandy contracts expiring after this coming season. Swisher is going to get a decent sized multi year deal.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good signing for one year in my opinion. I have always liked Youk and think he will play well in NY.

Reaction Score
Boy on MLB network Jim Bowden is destroying the Yankees for being old and irrelevant. He likened them to the 2012 Philles. Thinks that picking up Youklis just made them older (even though he's only 33). I don't really know what other options they had in free agency when Eric and Kepp were off the board. Giving Keppinger a multi year contract, to me, was not the answer, and although I like Chavez, he's as DL prone as Kevin. Of course he's cheaper, but I think that if Kevin stays healthy (which has not been the case), he adds a desperately needed right handed bat.
Bowden also keeps mentioning Josh Hamilton as a good fit for the Yankees, and I think that is absurd! I think he'd be a horrible fit in New York, and that he should probably stay put.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Yankees will contend but will break down once again come the playoffs. They have two horrible contracts with A-Rod and Tex. I for one didn't mind signing Youk for a year.

Never thought I would say this but I am hoping for a different owner. I don't think either Steinbrenner is up to the job,

Reaction Score
Not if Yanks are serious about getting below 189 mil in 2014 which it appears they are. Youk is a one year deal. So they will have Mariano, Andy, Jeter, Youk, Kuroda and Grandy contracts expiring after this coming season. Swisher is going to get a decent sized multi year deal.

I believe Jeter has a player option for 2014. Barring physical problems, I'd be very surprised if he's not with the team. The one expiring contract that you didn't mention is a real key - Cano.

Reaction Score
Hank definitely is not fit to run the team. Hal seems to be pretty sharp, but the question is whether he has his father's passion for the game. One could make the argument that the family has one foot out the door, by selling half of YES, with an option for Murdoch to go to 80% in a few years.

Hell, yeah, Bowden, NY is old. But irrelevant - bit of hyperbole. Mention that to every Boras-type in the game, who all run their free agents by the team. The team is constrained three ways - by the luxury tax system, which was created to penalize the Yankees, some terrible contracts (thanks again for ARod, Hank) and years of mismanagement of its farm system. The team has some very good prospects, but they're in the lower levels. Hal doesn't want to spend until after 2014, and teams are demanding exorbitant #'s of ready prospects for proven players in trades. Cashman is left picking through the discount bin.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that the sons are looking to cash out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom