Yankees storm into first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Life is how you frame it.

Reaction Score
They're kind of like Isaac- they keep coming back on shore laying turds. It's all BP's fault!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Yankees storm back(wards) into a tie for first!

Lord, I would like to punch Dave Robertson's mom right now.

Reaction Score
How about we line up the bullpen's mom's and Phelp's too....and punch them all....brutal!!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Cutters...CUTTERS?!?!?!? REALLY, DAVID?

Reaction Score
This is as bad as it gets for the AL east. Each team is striving for .500 ball. C.C. had it going for 5 innings last night, but just isn't the C.C. of old. Swisher and Cano are in the toilet with Cano hitting slightly over .200 with RISP! Today, Ivan gets the nod, and why do I feel that he gives up 5 in the first 3? Ugh! This sucks!

Reaction Score
This is as bad as it gets for the AL east. Each team is striving for .500 ball. C.C. had it going for 5 innings last night, but just isn't the C.C. of old. Swisher and Cano are in the toilet with Cano hitting slightly over .200 with RISP! Today, Ivan gets the nod, and why do I feel that he gives up 5 in the first 3? Ugh! This sucks!
Whichever team slides in the back door and wins the AL East is going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
team slides in the back door and wins the AL East is going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs.

I agree but if I were a Sox fan I wouldn't even care to write this!!:eek:

And the good news is they have a chance to "get their asses handed to them"....LOL

Reaction Score
I agree but if I were a Sox fan I wouldn't even care to write this!!:eek:

And the good news is they have a chance to "get their asses handed to them"....LOL
Mau, I'm way past caring about the Sox this year and they may have given up before I did. Right now the Sox are the worst team in baseball and one of the worst in their history. The future looks dim. This still won't stop me from enjoying your posts during the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Mau, I'm way past caring about the Sox this year and they may have given up before I did. Right now the Sox are the worst team in baseball and one of the worst in their history. The future looks dim. This still won't stop me from enjoying your posts during the playoffs.

I think with that incredible payroll dump, the future looks a lot brighter than it did before the All-Star break. And this is coming from a life-long Yankee fan! It was a brilliant move for the Sox, and a really desperate act by LA. Over $270 million dumped by the wayside. Really brilliant (no cynicism intended)!
I tend to agree on the AL East, but unless the Angels, Rays and Tigers make the playoffs, there is no "super-star" pitching in the AL playoffs. It will be a bit of a crap shoot without them.

Reaction Score

And I don't blame you one bit as would do the same.....guessing I just wouldn't do it here and embarrass myself!!;)....if my team was that pitiful!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whichever team slides in the back door and wins the AL East is going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs.

If the O's win, can you call that backing in?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I disagree with this.

The Orioles are getting that stench of destiny about them - I became convinced of that last night when they won in 18 innings.

It's really remarkable to see a team as tough and determined as the Orioles playing against teams like Boston and Tampa who really don't give a s*** one way or another.

Reaction Score
The Orioles are getting that stench of destiny about them - I became convinced of that last night when they won in 18 innings.

For their 14th straight extra-inning win.

Reaction Score
Just took a lead in the 11th so on pace for their 15th straight extra-inning win this season.

Also 27-8 in one run games, a .771 winning %.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They simply cannot be killed.

Reaction Score
We'll see how things go, but generally speaking, having a great record in extra innings or in 1 run games is entirely random and certainly not sustainable. I forget what year it was, but Elias Sports Bureau did a study on records in 1 run games and found it was pure luck. If you had a good record one year, chances were pretty good you would be worse in 1 run games the next year. Not sure how far the O's are going this year, but its a pretty good bet they fall back to the pack next year and miss the playoffs altogether.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Perhaps they fall back next year - what's the difference?

The Orioles do not have a great record in one run and extra inning games, they have historic records in both categories.

In a close game, when that bullpen comes into play, they are extremely hard to beat. They almost play a six or seven inning game - if they get to the seventh tied or with a lead, you're in trouble.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they fall back next year - what's the difference?

The Orioles do not have a great record in one run and extra inning games, they have historic records in both categories.

In a close game, when that bullpen comes into play, they are extremely hard to beat. They almost play a six or seven inning game - if they get to the seventh tied or with a lead, you're in trouble.
I can't begin to figure out the Orioles. Statistically they are average in hitting, fielding and pitching. Their leading pitcher is 12-9 and no one else has more than 8 wins. They have no .300 hitters although Adam Jones has 31 home runs. It seems like it has to be the manager. Buck Showalter has twice been named manager of the year. He should get it again. The Orioles projected record based on runs scored and runs allowed is 73-76.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think I read that they are something like 68-0 when leading after the seventh inning.

Reaction Score
I think I read that they are something like 68-0 when leading after the seventh inning.
But the statistics suggest that they should be trailing after 7 innings. They just don't get it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I don't know if it has changed since Wednesday, but the Yanks were something like 0-54 when losing after eight innings.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it has changed since Wednesday, but the Yanks were something like 0-54 when losing after eight innings.

What's worst is they are now 0-64 in games in which they have less runs that their opponent as they leave the ballpark!!;)

Reaction Score
Well Saturdays game ended any doubt for me that the Yankees can't come back from an almost insurmountable deficit! Down 4 runs in the 13th, and tying in their bottom half was really incredible! Also, I have to agree with Chavez that Oakland looked like a like high school team when they were shown waving towels after the 3 home runs in the 13th. It just lacked class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom