OT: Yankees hire Aaron Boone as next manager | The Boneyard

OT: Yankees hire Aaron Boone as next manager

Reaction Score
Ok... I get that this thread probably does not belong here per se, but I need to vent amongst a group of people who understand sports (all of you), a significant number of which are Yankees fans, Red Sox fans or Mets fans.

So, the Yankees hire a guy with no managerial experience at all... zero, zip, nada, zilch. Other than 8 years yacking like a know-it-all on ESPN, of course. And from all corners of the New York media this is being hailed as a great hire. Just one example: https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/aaron-boone-is-following-in-steve-kerrs-footsteps/

Seriously... comparing Aaron Boone to Steve Kerr? If the Mets made this same exact hire a month ago, they would have been mocked and vilified for hiring someone without any experience when there were plenty of more qualified candidates available.

Furthermore, Girardi's firing and Boone's hiring is an OBVIOUS move by Brian Cashman to take over running the team as de facto manager from his General Manager's office. This was hinted at when he led the charge to let Girardi go a month ago, but now that it has happened, barely a peep about that aspect. If it were Mets GM Sandy Alderson doing this same thing, the NY media would be killing him, and calling him a control freak and a bozo. As for the just released manager - for all of his shortcomings and supposed lack of relationship skills, Joe Girardi has proven to be an excellent baseball manager both for the Yankees and before that here in Florida for the Marlines... and other than that gaffe in game 2 of the ALDS against Cleveland, by and large he did a wonderful job getting this year's Yankee team to game 7 of the ALCS.

Being a Met fan all my life, even though I am not nearly as into it as I used to be as a kid, I am just sick and tired of the obvious double-standard that I have seen for years in the New York media between Yankee coverage and Met coverage. Although I have lived in Florida for over two decades, I still enjoy reading sports stories on the different New York teams in the New York papers... other than the continued pro-Yankee bias.

Question: how do the baseball fans on this board feel about the Yankees hiring Aaron Boone? I am interested in hearing from Yankee fans in particular, but non-Yankee fans as well.

Reaction Score
Ok... I get that this thread probably does not belong here per se, but I need to vent amongst a group of people who understand sports (all of you), a significant number of which are Yankees fans, Red Sox fans or Mets fans.

So, the Yankees hire a guy with no managerial experience at all... zero, zip, nada, zilch. Other than 8 years yacking like a know-it-all on ESPN, of course. And from all corners of the New York media this is being hailed as a great hire. Just one example: https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/aaron-boone-is-following-in-steve-kerrs-footsteps/

Seriously... comparing Aaron Boone to Steve Kerr? If the Mets made this same exact hire a month ago, they would have been mocked and vilified for hiring someone without any experience when there were plenty of more qualified candidates available.

Furthermore, Girardi's firing and Boone's hiring is an OBVIOUS move by Brian Cashman to take over running the team as de facto manager from his General Manager's office. This was hinted at when he led the charge to let Girardi go a month ago, but now that it has happened, barely a peep about that aspect. If it were Mets GM Sandy Alderson doing this same thing, the NY media would be killing him, and calling him a control freak and a bozo. As for the just released manager - for all of his shortcomings and supposed lack of relationship skills, Joe Girardi has proven to be an excellent baseball manager both for the Yankees and before that here in Florida for the Marlines... and other than that gaffe in game 2 of the ALDS against Cleveland, by and large he did a wonderful job getting this year's Yankee team to game 7 of the ALCS.

Being a Met fan all my life, even though I am not nearly as into it as I used to be as a kid, I am just sick and tired of the obvious double-standard that I have seen for years in the New York media between Yankee coverage and Met coverage. Although I have lived in Florida for over two decades, I still enjoy reading sports stories on the different New York teams in the New York papers... other than the continued pro-Yankee bias.

Question: how do the baseball fans on this board feel about the Yankees hiring Aaron Boone? I am interested in hearing from Yankee fans in particular, but non-Yankee fans as well.
From a Yankee fan. Unexpected hire but I’ll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt and take a wait and see attitude. If the Yankees stay healthy and get their pitching needs worked out they shouldbe a contende

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I look forward to him earning the unofficial middle name he shares with Bucky Dent, but this time among Yankee fans.

Reaction Score
Yankee fan checking in. Not thrilled with the hire but going in with an open mind. I'm just tired of my favorite teams giving head coach/manager jobs to former players with no experience.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In my book, when you've got a chance to hire a guy called Bam Bam, you take it.

But I am happy not to hear Boone's annoying voice for a couple years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, the double standard was alive and well when the Mets hired Jeff Torborg and every sportswriter in the NY metro area wrote about how the Mets landed the manager the Yankees should have sought and that the Mets had permanently surpassed the Yankees with that move.

Some years later when the Yanks hired Joe Torre it was ridiculed everywhere (Clueless Joe was the Daily News' headline).

There is not a double standard, the Yankees have merely earned more of a benefit of the doubt than the Mets have. If the Mets want similar consideration they should win a few more titles.

Reaction Score
I like the hire. I prefered the Yankees get Meulens, but like everyone besides Boone, Cashman and whoever else was in the room, I don’t know what actually happened in the closed door meetings. Boone is being compared to Kerr because they both had no managerial experience and went straight from the broadcast booth to inheriting good teams.

To be honest, I think managerial experience, especially for baseball, is extremely overrated. Player-managers were extremely common in baseball, so why is coaching experience absolutely necessary now? Pete Rose was the last one and won manager of the year with the Reds (as a player) in his first full season doing the job. AJ Hinch is widely referenced to be the kind of manager the Yankees have been looking for - and he had zero managerial experience before being given his first job as well.

Having played the game, being able to communicate and understand analytics are more important nowadays for managers than just making decisions on their own on nothing more than “gut” feeling. It’s not like the manager will be calculating analytics and processing the findings by themselves, they have people in the front office who will be doing that for them. The manager’s main role is to be a leader and to make decisions based on the data that is coming from the front office.

If Cashman feels like Boone was the best person for the job, then I trust his judgement. You also have to remember that Cashman is sticking his own neck on the line regarding the hire, especially since Hal Steinbrenner has already come out to the media saying he wasn’t comfortable hiring someone without experience.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with it. Boone is a third generation MLB player. His dad was a manager and he grew up at the ballpark. He'll have no problem whatsoever that the average guy with no coaching experience would have.

The idea that Cashman wants to be the real manager is hilarious. ROTFLMAO!!! hilarious. I can understand people thinking that about a football team's GM and rookie coach, because there are just 16 games each year. But a 162 game grind of a season ? Yeah, Cashman really wants to be the Manager. Again, ROTFLMAO!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom