OT - Yancy Gates Suspended 6 Games | The Boneyard

OT - Yancy Gates Suspended 6 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's just the start. Then the BE will get a kick in. And then the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Link to Article

So for his actions in part of an embarrassing brawl, he gets the same suspension as Boatright. That seems to make sense....
Should have been arrested on the spot for assault & battery. Where the hell were the cops? I see those fat porkers with the shiny medals and the big hats at UCONN games all the time. I know they're there for crowd control but when one player is all bloodied and is having his head stomped on, these guys should be doing their jobs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am sure Cincy cleared the suspensions with the Big East.

The Big East can't be in a position to make Cincinnati look like they've gone soft on this. The NCAA will not weigh in at all.

If Cincy says it's six games, it's six games.

No matter what they do, people will say it was too light - six games sounds about right to me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Didn't Saunders serve an NCAA imposed two game suspension for taking a swing (and missing)? And isn't the rule if there is a second similar infraction the player is can no longer play?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One swing from any of the three players who were ejected yesterday will end their season.

They get an automatic one-game suspension for being ejected as per NCAA rules.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if the "Clockwork Orange" effect comes into play in the A-0 this season.

Reaction Score
This is a joke. Legarrette Blount misses 8 of 13 games for his punch. Gates misses 6 of 32 or however many they end up playing. Thats a joke.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is a joke. Legarrette Blount misses 8 of 13 games for his punch. Gates misses 6 of 32 or however many they end up playing. Thats a joke.
Frease was able to crawl after the punch. That mitigated the severity.

Reaction Score

I think he should get many more as well. There are one on one fights with punches being thrown or just swinging wildly at anyone during a brawl.

Gates measured that guy up and and blindsided him. He then went all Sho'nuff by trying to fight other people.

The guy he punched could've landed on his head and done some serious damage.

Reaction Score
Thats a great point. I forgot about that until i read your post, and didnt the Blount incident happen after the game was over? I know a punch is a punch but i just think that since it happened during a game makes it a little worse.

Reaction Score
I think he should get many more as well. There are one on one fights with punches being thrown or just swinging wildly at anyone during a brawl.

Gates measured that guy up and and blindsided him. He then went all Sho'nuff by trying to fight other people.

The guy he punched could've landed on his head and done some serious damage.

Being sucker punched by a guy Gate's size should be severely penalized. Its one thing to be fighting and connect buts its another to sneak a punch on a defenseless person.

Reaction Score
Thats a great point. I forgot about that until i read your post, and didnt the Blount incident happen after the game was over? I know a punch is a punch but i just think that since it happened during a game makes it a little worse.
Yeah Blounts punch was after the game.

Reaction Score
It was after the game, and not in the context of a brawl started by somebody else.

Reaction Score
Being sucker punched by a guy Gate's size should be severely penalized. Its one thing to be fighting and connect buts its another to sneak a punch on a defenseless person.

Agree with this. If Frease was coming at him in a offensive way and he dropped him then it would be different. Instead the guy is trying to stop people from getting in on the brawl and while holding a couple back he cheap-shots his a** from the side. No place for the punk in basketball at all. And he was still throwing down after - 10-12 games should have been the minimum!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I guess after discussing things with the university president and the university AD Cronin was convinced by them not to throw players off his team. It stinks that these higher ups restrained Cronin.

Reaction Score
How does Hollaway get off we no penalties? Gates should be thrown out of school.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Link to Article

So for his actions in part of an embarrassing brawl, he gets the same suspension as Boatright. That seems to make sense....
should have been the season for him, Mbodj who stomped on Frese and Des Wells of X, 10 games for Lyons who was also throwing several haymakers and 10 for Holloway, who instigated the whole thing...and oh BTW inciting a riot isn't just being tough...it is a CRIME

Reaction Score
Don't think anyone needed to be suspended for the whole season. Tu was just talking like an idiot but still just talking the second the Cincy guy put his hands on Tu's face that started it.

Reaction Score
How does Hollaway get off we no penalties? Gates should be thrown out of school.

Holloway and Gates were talking crap until the first shots were thrown. No penalties for being an idiot. The refs blew it by not stopping that early but that doesn't allow the Cicny guy to put his hands on Lyons in the corner............X should have suspensions but nothing near what Cincy, Yates and the place kicker should get. Yeah they threw some shots but that was the corner where there was a lot going on. The cheap shot artists who side swipe and kick Frease are the idiots and scum in this one!

Reaction Score
Should have been arrested on the spot for assault & battery. Where the hell were the cops? I see those fat porkers with the shiny medals and the big hats at UCONN games all the time. I know they're there for crowd control but when one player is all bloodied and is having his head stomped on, these guys should be doing their jobs.
The cops came in when the fight was well over.

Reaction Score
Holloway and Gates were talking crap until the first shots were thrown. No penalties for being an idiot. The refs blew it by not stopping that early but that doesn't allow the Cicny guy to put his hands on Lyons in the corner............X should have suspensions but nothing near what Cincy, Yates and the place kicker should get. Yeah they threw some shots but that was the corner where there was a lot going on. The cheap shot artists who side swipe and kick Frease are the idiots and scum in this one!

The guys who took it over the top should get the biggest suspensions. That would be Gates, the kicker, and the two X guys who attached the Cincy player as he was being restrained, and the idiot who threw down the Cincy player to set the whole thing off.

Reaction Score
The Cincy player being restrained should be added to that list - he came off the bench throwing haymakers before being pulled away (same guy who was talking smack at the half).

Reaction Score
If Cronin is a man of his word, Yancy Gates will never play another game at Cincinnati. Mick Cronin is one of those coaches I really respect, especially in the Big East. It would speak volumes of his character if he takes action against his best player, and probably the worst offender in this brawl (for actually landing the punch and giving that Xavier player a black eye). If he fails to act on this the way that he promised, he will certainly lose a good amount of credibility in my book. I know that if any UConn player ever did that under Calhoun's watch, they would lose their roster spot and scholarship right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom