Y'all missed this? | The Boneyard

Y'all missed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
....in today's Greensboro (yes the home of the hated ACC) News and Record the paper quotes Jim B saying, " Everyone of these (BE) games is a little bit of sadness for me, I know where all the good restaurants are (in Providence). Now I got to go down to Clemson, SC. I'm sure there's a couple Denny's down there."

There is also an article where Coach K (somewhat surprising to me) says conference reallignment is far from over.

Reaction Score
That comment won't do anything to endear jimmy with his new conference mates and their fans.

Reaction Score
....in today's Greensboro (yes the home of the hated ACC) News and Record the paper quotes Jim B saying, " Everyone of these (BE) games is a little bit of sadness for me, I know where all the good restaurants are (in Providence). Now I got to go down to Clemson, SC. I'm sure there's a couple Denny's down there."

There is also an article where Coach K (somewhat surprising to me) says conference reallignment is far from over.

Now that is funny. Of course, it's probably totally ignorant as well, but still funny.

Reaction Score
Didn't Clemson get a FB recruit because of the proximity of a Chick-Fil-A to campus? So at least Boeheim will have options.

Reaction Score
Judging by his comment I take it Boeheim is more of an Italian food guy than a barbeque guy. He'll find places in NC that put Dinosaur to shame.

Reaction Score
Judging by his comment I take it Boeheim is more of an Italian food guy than a barbeque guy. He'll find places in NC that put Dinosaur to shame.

There are good restaurants in most areas if you can afford them. JB will just have to hit the few good ones in each area. I have travelled around the south quite a bit and there is plenty to see, do and eat. Northern ignorance is silly. I used to be just as oblivious to what the south had to offer and now I realize I was being an idiot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Now that is funny. Of course, it's probably totally ignorant as well, but still funny.

It is ignorant with respect to Clemson which is a growing golf/lake resort area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It was a joke.

It was a funny joke, to be more exact. And although I'm sure he will find himself dining at some good restaurants, it's also probably true that he had found some personal favorites in 30+ years of traveling and coaching in the Big East that he will no longer have the opportunity to frequent. I don't believe it was an ignorant statement at all. People are just a little too sensitive nowadays...

(and I don't even like the guy all that much!)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Old guy like B will love the Cracker Barrel.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

I don't think Marinatto or Tranghese took him to Dinosaurs or Diamond Dolls :) More likely to Francesca's for Veal Vesuvio and then making like Pitino with a waitress :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One of the last college towns I'd make fun of is Clemson. That place is awesome.

Reaction Score
Bah - the south provides nothing cuisine-wise until you reach either the Caribbean influence in South Florida or the Cajun influence of Louisiana. Everything else down there is god-awful. Although I will say that there is nothing like a good plate of barbecue for speeding up your next bowel movement, other than the stuff they give you before a colonoscopy.

(disclaimer: the preceding paragraph is solely my own personal opinion, which is correct)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Bah - the south provides nothing cuisine-wise until you reach either the Caribbean influence in South Florida or the Cajun influence of Louisiana. Everything else down there is god-awful. Although I will say that there is nothing like a good plate of barbecue for speeding up your next bowel movement, other than the stuff they give you before a colonoscopy.

(disclaimer: the preceding paragraph is solely my own personal opinion, which is correct)
Apparently , you've never been to Charleston SC. It's a great restaurant town.

Reaction Score
Apparently , you've never been to Charleston SC. It's a great restaurant town.

Yup... Carolina Shrimp and Grits (from a born, raised and resident Nutmegger)!

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Spent a week in Charleston (jogged by The Citadel football stadium every day from my hotel), but don't have much memory of the food, good or bad (other than eating a pretty good catered meal on a battleship). But any city can have good restaurants, as long as they bring in people to run them who learned how to make food properly in other places. I lived outside of Atlanta for six months (Smyrna) and lost 20 pounds despite eating lots of Dairy Queen. I should go back for that reason alone.

Now, I'm an adventurous eater. I'll order (and love) alligator meat in Louisiana or jerk-spiced anything in South Florida (no cannibal jokes). Loved the conch. But put me in an authentic local spot in Georgia or South Carolina and I'll probably hate their chicken, or their chicken-fried whatever. As soon as I see the words "southern style", I know I'll have plenty of room for dessert.

(the preceding paragraphs are still just my opinion, which is still correct - although I concede that other people may feel their opinions are just as correct, even though they're wrong).

Reaction Score
Have vacationed the Charleston area yearly for almost a decade. The food is out of this world. Two of the top 100 restaurants in the US IN 2012. I would put Charleston us against any similar size city for quality cuisine. It is not just shrimp & grits. There are top chefs and cutting edge food options abound.

Reaction Score
Yup... Carolina Shrimp and Grits (from a born, raised and resident Nutmegger)!

View attachment 2066

Yeah, but this is what the South does to a steak:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CountryFriedSteak.jpg#file

I'm just kidding around - plenty of people I know think jambalaya is gross, which I'll eat by the bucket (never mind something like Thai panang curry or sushi). Everyone has their own palate. If it was universally accepted that pulled pork barbecue was gross (which, of course, it is), then they wouldn't have those restaurants.

Attachments

• tapaupload0.jpg
    tapaupload0.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 44
Reaction Score
Yeah, but this is what the South does to a steak:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CountryFriedSteak.jpg#file

I'm just kidding around - plenty of people I know think jambalaya is gross, which I'll eat by the bucket (never mind something like Thai panang curry or sushi). Everyone has their own palate. If it was universally accepted that pulled pork barbecue was gross (which, of course, it is), then they wouldn't have those restaurants.

Agreed... Chicken fried anything is just challenging.

Have done a Low Country Boil/Fogmore stew @ a few tailgates over the years though.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Cows versus pork fat. Diary Cows survived New England Weather. Sheep. Even Goats. Pigs had a harder time of it and were slaughtered during the Winter for food before they were properly fattened up. The North (the English) used Butter and the South (the French influence ) used Lard. Deep Fried anything is Southern. What self-respecting Northerner would create a Corn Dog or Deep Fried Battered Hamburgers?

From PLymouth Plantation
"we make some larde, though very little, because it is chargeable; neither have we such use thereof as is to be seen in France and other countries, sith we do either bake our meat with sweet suet of beef or mutton and baste all our meat with sweet or salt butter, or suffer the fattest to baste itself by leisure."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom