Yahoo Sports: Ray Allen considering retirement | The Boneyard

Yahoo Sports: Ray Allen considering retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...ment-134814227.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Never saw this quote from a couple months ago:

In late May, Allen admitted that retirement was a possibility.

"Do I want to get to the point where you tell me, 'Look man, you ain't looking good out there?'" Allen said. "Do you want to get to that point and people start saying that about you?

"When Barry Sanders retired, we were all like, 'What?' He only played 10 years. We wanted him to play more. But he left on his terms. He was great. Ten was probably early. But you don't want to get to the point where you are on a downside and everybody's like, 'You don't seem like you have it anymore.'"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...ment-134814227.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Never saw this quote from a couple months ago:

In late May, Allen admitted that retirement was a possibility.

"Do I want to get to the point where you tell me, 'Look man, you ain't looking good out there?'" Allen said. "Do you want to get to that point and people start saying that about you?

"When Barry Sanders retired, we were all like, 'What?' He only played 10 years. We wanted him to play more. But he left on his terms. He was great. Ten was probably early. But you don't want to get to the point where you are on a downside and everybody's like, 'You don't seem like you have it anymore.'"
This either means he is tired of playing and wants to retire, or he doesnt think Lebron and the Cavs have a legit shot next year and he isnt interested in coming back for a first or second round exit. Maybe a Kevin Love to the Cavs deal will sway him . . .

Reaction Score
Ray is ready to retire today, next season or later. He's playing on desire (i.e. winning) right now, a good place to be. How many aging players play too long for money, fame or records?

Ray is the Man!

Reaction Score
UCONN-NYC said:
This either means he is tired of playing and wants to retire, or he doesnt think Lebron and the Cavs have a legit shot next year and he isnt interested in coming back for a first or second round exit. Maybe a Kevin Love to the Cavs deal will sway him . . .
So even though the article is from today, Ray's quote about considering retirement is from May and would not have been connected to the events that played out last week. That said, it'll be interesting to see if he decides to join LeBron and possibly Love in Cleveland to chase another title or decides to mentor Bazz in Miami, or just goes out while still highly respected.

Reaction Score
He's got the rings, he's got the records, time to hang em up. Like Charles Barkley says, "father time always wins".

First Ballot HOF

Reaction Score
He's got the rings, he's got the records, time to hang em up. Like Charles Barkley says, "father time always wins".

First Ballot HOF

Except he's not the typical 39 year old. Still in great physical condition. Can still get it done. Still an excellent guy to have coming off your bench.

Reaction Score
So even though the article is from today, Ray's quote about considering retirement is from May and would not have been connected to the events that played out last week. That said, it'll be interesting to see if he decides to join LeBron and possibly Love in Cleveland to chase another title or decides to mentor Bazz in Miami, or just goes out while still highly respected.

He has become extremely tight with LeBron. I think Cleveland is the only way he plays again next year.

Reaction Score
Except he's not the typical 39 year old. Still in great physical condition. Can still get it done. Still an excellent guy to have coming off your bench.

I agree with both your statments. But from a different angle you have to think how long does Ray want to be dealing with the grueling NBA schedule, it's a tough task for a 29 year old in great shape let alone 39. How long does he want to go to practice every day? Watch films? I believe he has 4 children, does he want to spend that time away from his family to be a guy off the bench?

I also have to imagine it's not easy for Ray from a competitive level. He can't be happy spending alot of the game watching from the sidelines. He was used to being the guy, then one of the guys, then a key role player, and last year a shooter off the bench.

I do agree the only place he possibly goes is Cleveland but when they signed Mike Miller I saw it as somewhat of a precursor to Ray's retirement.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Love to see him play 1 more year in Miami with Bazz...now that LeBron isn't there, I can see myself being a Heat fan!

Reaction Score

Lebon James is a legit threat to win the East on his own. Any team that has him should probably be the favorite, I don't even care who his supporting cast is. Hes that good. But also, the East is that bad

Reaction Score
Lebon James is a legit threat to win the East on his own. Any team that has him should probably be the favorite, I don't even care who his supporting cast is. Hes that good. But also, the East is that bad
While i dont disagree with either statement about Lebron or the East, i find it hard to picture the Cavs winning with Anderson Varejao as thier starting center

Reaction Score
While i dont disagree with either statement about Lebron or the East, i find it hard to picture the Cavs winning with Anderson Varejao as thier starting center

Dude can play alright defense and rebound. If he stays healthy, that's all you need from a center on a Lebron-Kyrie-Wiggins-Waiters/Ray/Thompson/Bennett line.

Man, if the Cavs could pull off a Love trade without giving up Wiggins and could start a smallball Kyrie-Ray-Wiggins-Lebron-Love line... Talk about lethal offensively and in transition (Love outlets...).

Reaction Score

You're really underrating Varejao here. He's easily an above-average player thanks to his rebounding.

Reaction Score
I agree with both your statments. But from a different angle you have to think how long does Ray want to be dealing with the grueling NBA schedule, it's a tough task for a 29 year old in great shape let alone 39. How long does he want to go to practice every day? Watch films? I believe he has 4 children, does he want to spend that time away from his family to be a guy off the bench?

I also have to imagine it's not easy for Ray from a competitive level. He can't be happy spending alot of the game watching from the sidelines. He was used to being the guy, then one of the guys, then a key role player, and last year a shooter off the bench.

I do agree the only place he possibly goes is Cleveland but when they signed Mike Miller I saw it as somewhat of a precursor to Ray's retirement.
Sounds a lot like soul searching and self awareness. I doubt hes playing after next year max, but his perspective is perfect IMO. All he has to play for at this point is himself. Theres nothing he hasn't achieved, and he knows hes still good enough physically, but does he need or want it bad enough anymore. Too bad more guys don't have this kind of self awareness, too many Brett Favres out there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's probably time to wrap things up. He's looking at being the 8th or 9th guy off the bench for a contender. Just depends on whether he's interested in that. He's made a lot of money, I doubt 2-4 mil is enough to sway the decision.

On another note, the progression of his free throw shooting is pretty cool. His worst FT% in the NBA was better than his best FT% in college. His first two years were the two worst FT% in his NBA career. Talk about perfecting an art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom