XL CENTER | The Boneyard

XL CENTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Burn to ground. Build smaller more intimate but more high class venue.

Also, while we are at it, burn hartford to the ground.

#NSATERRORWATCHLISTEDPOST

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Saw this the other day. Im surprised it hasnt gotten much attention here. The civic center is starting to show its age and it has been for a while. I wonder how much will actually get done this summer.

Reaction Score
35 million in the private construction world is alot of dough. 35 million in the public/state construction world well uhhhhhh might get you a statue.

Reaction Score
XL center is about as a bad an arena as there is. Total dump. Narrow concourses, crappy food options, lousy seats. A total dump.

State is broke so no $$ for anything. Unless u work for the state and work is the wrong word, I struggle to see the point of this chithole place.

Reaction Score
Since the ‘American’ men’s tournament for 2013 is moving to Memphis, I though this was interesting on CNN…
Most Dangerous US Cities, #9 of 10, Memphis TN
Memphis, Tenn.9 of 10 Crime index*: 2.28
Population: 652,725
Murder rate (per 100,000): 17.9
Memphis has grown into a sprawling city, encompassing more than 324 square miles. More than half of the metro-area residents live within city limits, which include many safe suburbs.
Despite that fact, Memphis still has a major crime problem, with a murder rate that is nearly four times the national average.
Street crime is also bad with robberies common and the city claiming the third highest aggravated assault rate in the country.
Hartford is not great either; but, the American expects UConn basketball fans and their families, who have historically travelled well (just ask Providence, St. John’s & Seton Hall), to fly 2 hours (direct) to Memphis. Boy, am I going to miss the Big E Championship at MSG

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/upgrades-to-hartford-xl-center-expected-to-begin-this-summer/
So 35 million has been approved for XL Center upgrades. Me personally thinks we just need to demolish and start from scratch. Obviously that is not happening. For now, Video Board above court is a must, wider concourse, better concessions, bathroom upgrades..

Thoughts

It will never happen due to politics; but, I believe that Hartford should take care of its own issues with the XL. Renovate Gampell or build a new arena on-campus as part of the new Storrs Center project that is dual purpose (basketball and ice hockey) with a capacity of 12,000. Practice time will no longer be an issue as both basketball programs will use the new development center while Freitas can be used for both ice hockey teams for practice (and community events, such as HS hockey and university free stakes). Storrs Center will provide visitors with enough pre and post game entertainment options to make it a good environment (not great, Storrs Center is not NYC after all). The only questions would be where to put the Volleyball team and, if Gampell is expanded or demolished, where to put the academic and athletic support programs that are also house there. With a single home basketball arena, both teams can then play a periodic home or neutral site game in Hartford, Bridgeport or even New York (annual UConn Duke or UConn Michigan game at MSG would be a heck of an event.

Reaction Score
It will never happen due to politics; but, I believe that Hartford should take care of its own issues with the XL. Renovate Gampell or build a new arena on-campus as part of the new Storrs Center project that is dual purpose (basketball and ice hockey) with a capacity of 12,000. Practice time will no longer be an issue as both basketball programs will use the new development center while Freitas can be used for both ice hockey teams for practice (and community events, such as HS hockey and university free stakes). Storrs Center will provide visitors with enough pre and post game entertainment options to make it a good environment (not great, Storrs Center is not NYC after all). The only questions would be where to put the Volleyball team and, if Gampell is expanded or demolished, where to put the academic and athletic support programs that are also house there. With a single home basketball arena, both teams can then play a periodic home or neutral site game in Hartford, Bridgeport or even New York (annual UConn Duke or UConn Michigan game at MSG would be a heck of an event.

And just where will the $100M plus needed for this project come from? We still haven't raised all of the money for the practice facility yet.

Reaction Score

Where is Gampell?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It will never happen due to politics; but, I believe that Hartford should take care of its own issues with the XL. Renovate Gampell or build a new arena on-campus as part of the new Storrs Center project that is dual purpose (basketball and ice hockey) with a capacity of 12,000.

The XL Center is municipally owned, so Hartford IS taking care of its own issues with the XL Center. UConn pays a large amount or rent to use it. The University, in turn, owns Gampel without state intervention.

Reaction Score
And just where will the $100M plus needed for this project come from? We still haven't raised all of the money for the practice facility yet.

If I had returned all of my Natural Light cans from 4 years in Storrs and donated it a new arena that would have put a sizable dent in the bill, LOL.

Reaction Score
The XL Center is municipally owned, so Hartford IS taking care of its own issues with the XL Center. UConn pays a large amount or rent to use it. The University, in turn, owns Gampel without state intervention.

I am just stating my belief that all of UConn Basketball’s (men and women) home games should be played on campus as it would cost less and generate more money (not paying a lease to the XL, travel costs, hotel rooms for the team the night before, etc.) and is a better environment. In addition, with just 1 home court, UConn would have the flexibility to schedule home or neutral games periodically in key markets, such as Fairfield County (Bridgeport), New York (MSG and/or Barclay’s), and even Boston (would love to see BC’s reaction to that!).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I am just stating my belief that all of UConn Basketball’s (men and women) home games should be played on campus as it would cost less and generate more money (not paying a lease to the XL, travel costs, hotel rooms for the team the night before, etc.) and is a better environment. In addition, with just 1 home court, UConn would have the flexibility to schedule home or neutral games periodically in key markets, such as Fairfield County (Bridgeport), New York (MSG and/or Barclay’s), and even Boston (would love to see BC’s reaction to that!).

Are hotel rooms before the game a given regardless of venue?

I don't disagree, but this is not what you said. You said that Hartford should take care of the XL Center. They are. UConn is not footing the bill, directly. Playing in both facilities has its drawbacks, attributable to the specific venue.

Hartford: Out of date facility, narrow concourses, one way in/out of the rest rooms, not enough restrooms. Steeper upper level than pre-2009 Yankee Stadium, Actual nose bleeds in the nose bleed seats...that are not cheep, luxury suits with a worse view than aformentioned nose bleeds.

Gampel: Parking, traffic, lack of refreshment before game, artisan tiles that cannot be duplicated by anyone but a dead 7th degree free master mason with membership in the illuminati and Skull & Bones secret societies.

Gampel is the preferred site, but the Parking and Traffic issues trump almost everything that is wrong with the XL Center.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've often wondered about this. What is the net revenue per game vs. the net revenue from Gampel. Might be hard to get decent numbers since high draw games often go to Hartford. I wonder if the revenue justifies the number of games played in Hartford.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've often wondered about this. What is the net revenue per game vs. the net revenue from Gampel. Might be hard to get decent numbers since high draw games often go to Hartford. I wonder if the revenue justifies the number of games played in Hartford.

Rent for the XL Center is $50k per game. Assuming a $25 ticket, they would have to sell 12,027 tickets to break even as compared to Gampel for ticket sale only. It gets foggy in two places: 1) What is the cost to operate Gampel on game day (Security, vendors, parking staff, Ushers,etc.)? and 2) How much in parking and concessions are taken in to offset the additional seating at XL. I don't believe the school gets any concession or parking dollars in Hartford.

The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is what else Gampel is used for on Hartford game days (Intramurals, opposite sex team Practice, etc.)

You'd think it'd have to be cost beneficial, or else they wouldn't do it. Right?

Reaction Score
UConn should only play basketball games at XL while students are on Winter Break. That probably amounts to 4 or 5 games, which is more than enough.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Incidently, That seems to be the reason, one of at least, the big games are in Hartford. To gaurantee a big gate to offset the cost of using the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
I know the men’s team has stayed at the Hilton from time to time before and after games, depending on the game time.

That topic aside, what I am trying to drive home is the fact that UConn is going to D1 Hockey. Because of that, a new rink is needed. My argument is that#1 hockey needs to be played on campus and #2 if the school is going to spend money on a new hockey arena knowing that Gampel will need a renovation and expansion soon, do it the right way and get both done now. It will boost UConn’s image and save money over the long term.

I also strongly believe that with the loss of a marquee conference (hopefully for just a few years), UConn cannot be afraid to play home/neutral games in key markets, like Fairfield County and NYC. Visibility is a key.

The XL Center, regardless of what does or does not happen to it, will not help UConn meet these goals.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know the men’s team has stayed at the Hilton from time to time before and after games, depending on the game time.

That topic aside, what I am trying to drive home is the fact that UConn is going to D1 Hockey. Because of that, a new rink is needed. My argument is that#1 hockey needs to be played on campus and #2 if the school is going to spend money on a new hockey arena knowing that Gampel will need a renovation and expansion soon, do it the right way and get both done now. It will boost UConn’s image and save money over the long term.

I also strongly believe that with the loss of a marquee conference (hopefully for just a few years), UConn cannot be afraid to play home/neutral games in key markets, like Fairfield County and NYC. Visibility is a key.

The XL Center, regardless of what does or does not happen to it, will not help UConn meet these goals.

Where in Fairfield County would they play though? Bridgeport is the only arena I can think of and do you really think that's gonna draw folks from Fairfield County out? I honestly don't know but I personally have no desire to drive to Bridgeport for a UConn game. However, I don't live on the coast so I can't speak fully to whether or not that would be a draw. Did you have other places in mind? I don't disagree with your beliefs that the more games we play in NYC the better off we are as long as we're stuck in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I agree on exspanding and solidifying the Conn Basketball base.
you create a fan; who once hooked will go to games in Hartford or Storrs.
New York is essential to continue our Basketball tradition.
Football is in huge trouble. Not only do they have to schedule big name teams they have to beat these teams.
Face it Conn football has yet to excite the home fans the way basketball has.
Playing in a conference of nobodies makes that job more difficult.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about the fact that Gampel sucks if you are taller than 5' 7" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom