Xavier, Indiana, Wichita State | The Boneyard

Xavier, Indiana, Wichita State

Reaction Score
3 games all decided by 1 possession. 2 of these teams ranked in the top 25. How different our season could’ve been if we could close 2/3 of these out. Obviously very close to being a great team and help is on the way. The whole state should be excited about next season

Reaction Score
I agree those 3 loses are the difference between us being ranked and maybe not even an NIT team. We lost the Indiana game with turnovers, we should have won the Xavier game but for a crazy 3 and WSU we were screwed.

Should have won 2 of 3 but the 3 loses maybe seal our fate. Still have opportunities for NCAA but not likely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
3 games all decided by 1 possession. 2 of these teams ranked in the top 25. How different our season could’ve been if we could close 2/3 of these out. Obviously very close to being a great team and help is on the way. The whole state should be excited about next season

Indiana will be ranked tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Agreed our season would be different but I don't think any of those 3 teams are great or will be playing deep into March. I think we still need some massive upgrades especially at center. Don't think we can have a good year in the Big East with Carlton starting.

Reaction Score

Fo Sho

Reaction Score
It's not luck, it's systematic. These guys still aren't making the big plays when it matters. A key rebound, free throws in overtime. There's just nobody stepping up with that killer instinct.

An old school UConn team circa 1990-2014 wins that game after rallying to force OT. No doubt. Happy with the fight but it's getting old honestly. Once Wilson's 3 went down you gotta win that game. Any way possible.

Reaction Score
It's not luck, it's systematic. These guys still aren't making the big plays when it matters. A key rebound, free throws in overtime. There's just nobody stepping up with that killer instinct.
C'Mon man down 9 with a minute + left & we go to OT.....that was stepping up, that was killer instinct. We played WSU even in first OT but horrible CV out of bounds call killed us. If that is called correctly we probably win right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'Mon man down 9 with a minute + left we go to OT.....that was stepping up, that was killer. We played WSU even in first OT but the horrible CV out of bounds call killed us. If that is called correctly we probably win right?

There's a massive difference between clawing your way back when you have no choice, vs. stepping on your opponent's throat to seize control of the game.

We have survival instinct. We need killer instinct.

Reaction Score
C'Mon man down 9 with a minute + left we go to OT.....that was stepping up, that was killer. We played WSU even in first OT but the horrible CV out of bounds call killed us. If that is called correctly we probably win right?

while I agree that was a horrible momentum shifting call, we also lost that game related to:

-a bunch of missed FTs in OT
-at least 3 Ill-advised drives (2 by Gilbert, 1 by Bouk) that resulted in TOs
-Josh botched catch of a nice pass by Gilbert that would have been an easy 2.
-botched tipoff at the start of 2OT that resulted in a quick 3pt deficit

there are at least 3-4 other plays across the OTs that teams that “know how to win” don’t do (and thus win the game) but I’m too drained from watching this Game to include them

that being said, I loved the heart, grit, toughness that everyone showed. If we bring that for the last 15 games, we’ll be OK

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
They should be pretty good next year. Probably similar to Wichita or Rutgers this year
Counterpoint: we made a lot of huge plays today

Reaction Score
while I agree that was a horrible momentum shifting call, we also lost that game related to:

there are at least 3-4 other plays across the OTs that teams that “know how to win” don’t do (and thus win the game) but I’m too drained from watching this Game to include them

that being said, I loved the heart, grit, toughness that everyone showed. If we bring that for the last 15 games, we’ll be OK
Yeah, maybe but that CV out of bounds seemed like THE play to get the win. The botched tip in 2nd OT was absolutely horrible but if we get the call in OT 1 doesn't matter.

What sucks the most is we are basically an "even" team with WSU, Xavier, Fla and they probably all make the tourney and we will struggle to make NIT as it looks now. We beat Fla and should have beat WSU / Xavier so imagine how our team feels?

Maybe they channel it to being pissed and win games they would otherwise lose...let's hope.

Reaction Score
I remember my first year of really watching Uconn was their NIT Championship season. I remember them losing a ton of close games and it felt like they could have had a better record than 14 -13 before the conference tournament. The difference between a top 25 team and a team between 50 -100 is not often a lot. With Polley I felt they had a chance of squeaking into the NCAA tournament...unfortunately, we have a scrappy NIT team, that is a few players and a couple of years away from the coach having the program where he wants. Obviously, you never know with recruits, if guys develop quicker, or you pull in a couple more studs. I think with the lack of shooting coming in, losing a guy like Polley is going to make it hard for us to get to that 2nd weekend next year if he doesn't recover enough for next year. I am always hopeful of my guys, I love our coach, I will scream at the tv every game...but my prognosis

This year they will finish 23 - 13, winning 2 games in the NIT
Next year 26 - 10 Lose in the round of 32 in the NCAA
2021 - 2022 season...who knows

I am sure people will probably think those are high expectations...and probably are, but I can't help being optimistic with my team!

Reaction Score

The pass to Josh was a bit low. I paused and hit rewind a few times. That was my interpretation.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Our record in the Hurley era in games decided by 6 points or less:

2018-2019: 1-5
2019-2020: 1-3

Total of 2-8. Between this and the road struggles...this is where we are at right now.
We don't have a closer. We don't have a lead dog. I think Hurley is bringing in the talent and it started with Bouk and Akok.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe but that CV out of bounds seemed like THE play to get the win. The botched tip in 2nd OT was absolutely horrible but if we get the call in OT 1 doesn't matter.

What sucks the most is we are basically an "even" team with WSU, Xavier, Fla and they probably all make the tourney and we will struggle to make NIT as it looks now. We beat Fla and should have beat WSU / Xavier so imagine how our team feels?

Maybe they channel it to being pissed and win games they would otherwise lose...let's hope.
WSU, Xavier, and Indiana losses come down to turnovers and FTs

Also in today's game when Sid fouled out, Hurley should've put in Adams instead of Carlton.

Losing Polley changes how teams can play us now

Reaction Score
Our only acceptable losses are Xavier and Wichita. There’s 0 excuse for losing to St. Joe’s, Indiana, Cincinnati, and USF. If this team showed up to every game the way we did today, we’d be 14-2 looking at a sure fire at-large bid.

Reaction Score
WSU, Xavier, and Indiana losses come down to turnovers and FTs

Also in today's game when Sid fouled out, Hurley should've put in Adams instead of Carlton.

Losing Polley changes how teams can play us now
Adams did nothing today...JC wasn't great but not on DH that we lost. The loss on bad officials.

Lost to Xavier on miracle 3 so you're only right about Indiana. WSU & Xavier we earned wins but lost...it happens.

Reaction Score
Adams did nothing today...JC wasn't great but not on DH that we lost. The loss on bad officials.

Lost to Xavier on miracle 3 so you're only right about Indiana. WSU & Xavier we earned wins but lost...it happens.
I cried after the Xavier game. Literally a heartbreaker. If we were 13-2 going into this game I might’ve cried in my seat.

Reaction Score
I’d have to look at the stats but we played predominantly from behind in all these games (aside from the late 3 X hit), right? Would be nice to have that 3-5 point lead down the stretch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom