X’s and O’s with Ben Kantor, Geno and gang | The Boneyard

X’s and O’s with Ben Kantor, Geno and gang

Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to join my brother this weekend at the coaches clinic in storrs. It involved a couple of practices, film session with Ben Kantor that focused on the base interchange offense along with their “circles concept”. Also had breakout seasons with Andrea Hudy (strength and conditioning) a guard breakout session with Morgan and Tanya, and a post session with CD. Geno has assembled a really incredible group.

The practices were interesting - to see how the drills reinforce the concepts they are working on. They seemed to build throughout from warm-ups/shooting drills into small sided games (3 on 2’s and 4 on 3’s) with male practice players being added during the process. All the while working on the same concepts, which mostly involved getting the posts at the top of the key and cutting the guards off screens, one way or another based on how the defense played the screen.

Eventually the practice turned to working on OOB play from under the offensive hoop - these interactions would run till there were two offensive scores and one stop- so there was a lot of full court action after the set start. Fun to watch- the kids worked hard for 2+ hours.

The bigs are big! Sarah generally looks terrific. She is unbelievably quick with her feet for such a big powerful kid, obviously a great shot. She also seems to be a quick study- rarely looking lost despite it being the 3&4th practice. She’s got great instincts. Ice has worked super hard this offseason- she looked super strong and can really get up the floor. She is a hard worker and is tough on herself- made some great plays, and was also shooting the 3 well during drills. Her play and intensity reminded me of the big east tournament performances.

Jana is a handful, even for the biggest practice players. The guys would look at each other with sympathy after one of their own got served some physical attention in the lane. She is going to draw a lot of fouls, and get called for a lot fouls. Geno has high expectations for the young woman and is challenging her to to become the best Jana possible. Her ceiling is high- but she won’t get there without growing pains. As many have commented in the past, being a post in Geno’s system is demanding and takes time to master. I’m looking forward to watch her growth.

Yana looked terrific early on Sat. Fast, mobile. Better short range than I remembered. Unfortunately she injured her left shoulder toward the end of Sat practice, and did not practice on Sun. Feel so bad for the kid. Hope it’s a quick and full recovery.

Azzi looked really good. No visible impacts remaining. She participated in all the activities except for the full five on five. It also may have just been a minute cap on her participation, since some of the small sided games had loads of contact with the male practice players. And those boys are solid.

Carol shot the ball well, was moving extremely well, and clearly is in great shape. She wore a yellow jersey during contact drills. I assume this means no touch for the practice players.

KK and Ash looked just like they finished off last year. Morgan was restricted during the 5x5’s, but looked great while she was in there. Nice 3. Handled the ball well against the practice players pressure. Played hard, smart, vocal for a freshman. She’ll be a great leader in time. Ali was better on defense than I expected, and shoots as good as advertised. She played in Azzi’s role during the first 5x5- part of the 1st group (CDs word choice). I have no idea if that will have legs- but she’s a great spot up shooter and Geno’s offense needs that to keep the lane clean for cutters. I expect her to get a bunch of PT, and maybe start until Azzi comes back in Dec’ish.

Chen is super aggressive getting into the lane. I will say, she looked like she was adjusting to the male competition- more turnovers on passes and even when pressured while bringing the ball up court. And to be fair to her, you could see the same in Ali and Morgan.

I will take this opportunity to appreciate the dedication of the practice players. These are good smart committed players- it is so obvious to see the value they create. They play super hard- do as instructed- and have a priceless lens into Geno’s genius. Lucky guys (even if they do get pasted by Jana)

If you are a coach at any level and have the bandwidth to come next year- I would strongly recommend it. Great experience. Great people

Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to join my brother this weekend at the coaches clinic in storrs. It involved a couple of practices, film session with Ben Kantor that focused on the base interchange offense along with their “circles concept”. Also had breakout seasons with Andrea Hudy (strength and conditioning) a guard breakout session with Morgan and Tanya, and a post session with CD. Geno has assembled a really incredible group.

The practices were interesting - to see how the drills reinforce the concepts they are working on. They seemed to build throughout from warm-ups/shooting drills into small sided games (3 on 2’s and 4 on 3’s) with male practice players being added during the process. All the while working on the same concepts, which mostly involved getting the posts at the top of the key and cutting the guards off screens, one way or another based on how the defense played the screen.

Eventually the practice turned to working on OOB play from under the offensive hoop - these interactions would run till there were two offensive scores and one stop- so there was a lot of full court action after the set start. Fun to watch- the kids worked hard for 2+ hours.

The bigs are big! Sarah generally looks terrific. She is unbelievably quick with her feet for such a big powerful kid, obviously a great shot. She also seems to be a quick study- rarely looking lost despite it being the 3&4th practice. She’s got great instincts. Ice has worked super hard this offseason- she looked super strong and can really get up the floor. She is a hard worker and is tough on herself- made some great plays, and was also shooting the 3 well during drills. Her play and intensity reminded me of the big east tournament performances.

Jana is a handful, even for the biggest practice players. The guys would look at each other with sympathy after one of their own got served some physical attention in the lane. She is going to draw a lot of fouls, and get called for a lot fouls. Geno has high expectations for the young woman and is challenging her to to become the best Jana possible. Her ceiling is high- but she won’t get there without growing pains. As many have commented in the past, being a post in Geno’s system is demanding and takes time to master. I’m looking forward to watch her growth.

Yana looked terrific early on Sat. Fast, mobile. Better short range than I remembered. Unfortunately she injured her left shoulder toward the end of Sat practice, and did not practice on Sun. Feel so bad for the kid. Hope it’s a quick and full recovery.

Azzi looked really good. No visible impacts remaining. She participated in all the activities except for the full five on five. It also may have just been a minute cap on her participation, since some of the small sided games had loads of contact with the male practice players. And those boys are solid.

Carol shot the ball well, was moving extremely well, and clearly is in great shape. She wore a yellow jersey during contact drills. I assume this means no touch for the practice players.

KK and Ash looked just like they finished off last year. Morgan was restricted during the 5x5’s, but looked great while she was in there. Nice 3. Handled the ball well against the practice players pressure. Played hard, smart, vocal for a freshman. She’ll be a great leader in time. Ali was better on defense than I expected, and shoots as good as advertised. She played in Azzi’s role during the first 5x5- part of the 1st group (CDs word choice). I have no idea if that will have legs- but she’s a great spot up shooter and Geno’s offense needs that to keep the lane clean for cutters. I expect her to get a bunch of PT, and maybe start until Azzi comes back in Dec’ish.

Chen is super aggressive getting into the lane. I will say, she looked like she was adjusting to the male competition- more turnovers on passes and even when pressured while bringing the ball up court. And to be fair to her, you could see the same in Ali and Morgan.

I will take this opportunity to appreciate the dedication of the practice players. These are good smart committed players- it is so obvious to see the value they create. They play super hard- do as instructed- and have a priceless lens into Geno’s genius. Lucky guys (even if they do get pasted by Jana)

If you are a coach at any level and have the bandwidth to come next year- I would strongly recommend it. Great experience. Great people
Wow! Just want to reiterate how grateful I/we are for this very informative report! You just made my day!

Reaction Score

Phenomenal reporting!! Thank you!! So hyped for the season. Anything on Qadence or Aubrey?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom