OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Heads ups. I know a few people on here follow the WNT. 2019 Women's World Cup starts today in France. France plays S. Korea (3:00 EDT on FS1)

USA is in Group F with Thailand, Chile and Sweden

6/11 USA vs Thailand (3:00 EDT Fox)
6/16 USA vs Chile (12:00 EDT Fox)
6/20 USA vs Sweden (3:00 EDT Fox)

Most of the other teams games will be on FS1.

Reaction Score
Thanks for touting this, Meyers. I get almost as excited watching the WNT in soccer as I do watching our Huskies. This is often a beautiful game with all of the qualities we love in WCBB (UConn style). The US has a really good chance of winning it all with great talent everywhere but in goal. That may mean the WNT will have to outscore its opponents, but they're very capable of doing that. Hope many will avail themselves of a chance to watch the world's best; it happens only once every 4 years . . .

Reaction Score
The two most likely results for the U.S. are either a championship or else elimination in the quarterfinals. By bad luck, they are on track to play France, who is a co-favorite in the betting lines, in Paris in the quarters. France will also have more rest. That's a match that should have been the Final.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The two most likely results for the U.S. are either a championship or else elimination in the quarterfinals. By bad luck, they are on track to play France, who is a co-favorite in the betting lines, in Paris in the quarters. France will also have more rest. That's a match that should have been the Final.
Unless USA or France comes in 2nd in their group. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, I am guessing most will not identify WWC as Women's World Cup. I was trying to connect it to some Women's Wrestling event :oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France looks great against Steven Krajewski. Better than the US has against inferior competition. I see them winning it all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, I am guessing most will not identify WWC as Women's World Cup. I was trying to connect it to some Women's Wrestling event :oops:
86d6d269aaaaed60a5ff2e0c24fc3ac3d4ef3143f342bb9affd9a801cb1e12fa.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
France looks great against Steven Krajewski. Better than the US has against inferior competition. I see them winning it all.
That's my guess.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe the VAR instrumentation was made in South Korea? :rolleyes:

France disallowed a beautiful goal by a micro-inch offside ruling.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
France has size and athleticism up front and speed at the wings. So tough. They also look precise off of set pieces. Now, a good counter attacking team with strength and speed up the middle can make these gals pay. Also, let's see how they play from behind at home or react to a close game in the final minutes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France has size and athleticism up front and speed at the wings. So tough. They also look precise off of set pieces. Now, a good counter attacking team with strength and speed up the middle can make these gals pay. Also, let's see how they play from behind at home or react to a close game in the final minutes

They also have the best on ball skills and often exhibit excellent combination play. I am sure US could get some joy over the top and in in counter attack play but France plays soccer the way UConn plays basketball. (i.e Beautifully). Not saying you can't ugly up the game a bit to compete (a bit like the way other WCBB teams are beginning to deal with UConn) if the US are at the top of their game but ...

Reaction Score
They also have the best on ball skills and often exhibit excellent combination play. I am sure US could get some joy over the top and in in counter attack play but France plays soccer the way UConn plays basketball. (i.e Beautifully). Not saying you can't ugly up the game a bit to compete (a bit like the way other WCBB teams are beginning to deal with UConn) if the US are at the top of their game but ...
The US should be the favorite until another teams proves otherwise and the US has just as good of a attacking team as France does.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
France put on a clinic today. Overall they have amazing field balance, fluidity and cohesiveness. They have a great balance of stars and glue players. Renard and Mbock Bathy are two of the best central defenders I've seen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Truth.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
After France's fireworks on opening day, today's performances seemed a bit underwhelming. Germany in particular looks lightweight compared to previous editions; they were fortunate that China squandered many scoring opportunities. Spain is identified as an up-and-coming team, but needed some miscues (and a questionable VAR ruling) to overcome an early 1-0 deficit to South Africa. Norway was probably the most impressive of today's winners, not without help from Nigeria's defensive collapses.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to Aus-Italy, Think it will be closer than expected. England v Scotland should be good too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty sad that Brazil's Marta is injured (may make it back later in the tournament) and Brazil as a team is such a mess. They were always alot of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Australia goes down to Italy. Italy's keeper strong at the end, Australia's not so much.The upsets have begun. Hope there's more as long as they don't involve the US.

Reaction Score
I'll take the win but what's with these "delayed offside flags"? If the ref believes the play is offside raise the flag and stop the play...why continue on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom