OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In 2007, Germany beat Argentina 11-0. I believe the German women reacted appropriately.

Even in this WCC, no other team reacted to their goals the way the US did and most of those goals were really important in deciding a match.

Heck, even the truly important Aussie late goal reactions were far more restrained (although Sam Kerr did have a few post game expletives aimed at her team doubters :rolleyes: ).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im already tired of this world cup..... especially it being on Fox TV. Interrupting my favorite local news station.... Tired of listening to sports radio discussing the lopsided 13-0 game. Head bang

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Even in this WCC, no other team reacted to their goals the way the US did and most of those goals were really important in deciding a match.

Heck, even the truly important Aussie late goal reactions were far more restrained (although Sam Kerr did have a few post game expletives aimed at her team doubters :rolleyes: ).
Okay, I've watched the Thailand game 3 times now and at this moment I'm watching every goal and every reaction after goal scored by the US.
1) The first goal by Morgan, her first in 4 games was joyful and not particularly excessive.
2) Rose scored the second. Her first World Cup goal. Hardly excessive, and very exciting for her.
3) Horan scores this. How many World Cup goals has she scored? Hardly excessive to me.
4) Mewes scores what appears to be her first WC goal. Apparently earlier this year she was in the coaches doghouse. Rapinoe. with the nice assist here, has been extremely excited for every goal by every squad member. Is this excessive for someone who has scored their first goal?

By this point I'm feeling sorry for a clearly outmatched Thai team. They're trying, but they don't have the horses.

5) Morgan's second, Rapinoe jumps on her back. Otherwise, not much of a celebration. So, do we again blame Rapinoe for loving the moment? At this point the US has already made two subs.
6) Mewes scored again, Lavelle gives her a big hug after Mewes scored on her deflection. Nothing much more here.
7) Lavelle scores her 2nd WC goal, nothing much to see here.
8) Morgan again, Rapinoe jumps into her arms. Nothing much here either. The US has also made another sub bring in Carli. Where's the disgraceful celebratory stuff?
9) Rapinoe, who has been just happy to be alive, playing and on the pitch today scores. Okay, if she could have done cartwheels she would have. Some may find her celebration here as excessive and unnecessary, but this lady is a joy to be around today.
10) Alex scores and counts off 4. Okay, how many people have done that in a WC game. How many times will she ever do that again. I don't care who it's against. If Marti scored four does anyone think she would do handstands? Yeah, that was excessive, but everyone certainly will remember it.
11) Carli misses a gimmee. Pugh scores her first WC goal in her debut. Rapinoe joins her in her celebration. Nothing much here.
12) Morgan again. Rapinoe give her a hug, Morgan wraps her legs around her. Is this excessive for someone that just tied a record? Morgan then does a dance with the subs. Okay, maybe just a bit much.
13) Carli scores. It's been a tough few years for Carli. She hasn't complained, but she can't be happy on the bench. Any kind of celebration she has wouldn't be excessive to me, although there really isn't much to see here.

Well, for me there were perhaps two celebrations that I think was excessive, and both involved Morgan. Otherwise, meh.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, does Sweden win 14-0 over Thailand?

Does the US blow up Chile with a better differential than Sweden's 2-0 win?

Reaction Score
So, does Sweden win 14-0 over Thailand?

Does the US blow up Chile with a better differential than Sweden's 2-0 win?

1. Not even close.

2. Chile is on the same level as Thailand. U.S. should win by about six goals.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Morgan and Rapinoe will be subs today. Carly and Mallory will be starters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Morgan and Rapinoe will be subs today. Carly and Mallory will be starters.

Guess they are tired from celebrating. Sorry. Just too easy. :oops::oops::oops:

Seriously, surprised they are making so many changes. 7 in total. :confused:

Should be building more continuity.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Guess they are tired from celebrating. Sorry. Just too easy. :oops::oops::oops:

Seriously, surprised they are making so many changes. 7 in total. :confused:

Should be building more continuity.
So am I. Yet, injuries are a part of every sport, sometimes catastrophic ones. I suppose that kind of continuity has to be weighed as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As noted, Chile’s world ranking isn’t great so getting other players on the pitch to see how they react is actually a goo thing. Today, I have seen enough of Pugh to put he really on the bench in future games. I am really impressed with Davison who I think is the youngest player at 20 on the team. 3-0 USA at 50’

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is a well attended match compared to most of the other matches attendance. I think they said 44,000 today.

JordyG

Reaction Score
THe Chile goaltender is awesome, otherwise this would 5 or 6 to zero.
In hockey they would say she stood on her head. LLoyd missing a penalty kick though is uncharacteristic.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Today everybody plays. There's a lot of team speed on the US side out there, Perhaps the dumbest yellow card Long will get all year.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Long not doing herself any favors if she wants more PT.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Press was a monster in the second half but was stymied by the goalie at least 3 times. Davidson was also impressive imho. I have to say I feel more confident about the team now than before the WC began. I just wish we could avoid playing France in the Q's.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Chile's goalie (or "keeper"?) was a great pleasure to watch. Reminded me of Hope Solo with her strength and moves. Here are some high lites with a spanish speaking announcer I could listen to all day (and I don't speak spanish. His call of the US first goal is really impressive!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Chile's goalie (or "keeper"?) was a great pleasure to watch. Reminded me of Hope Solo with her strength and moves. Here are some high lites with a spanish speaking announcer I could listen to all day (and I don't speak spanish. His call of the US first goal is really impressive!

Once again Hispanic announcers show how to sell a goal. I could listen all day every day.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wild finish in Group D. Scotland, needing a win over Argentina to advance, takes a commanding 3-0 lead but completely collapses down the stretch, giving up 3 goals in the last 20 minutes.

Just to make it even more heartbreaking, the Scottish keeper appeared to stop Argentina's PK in stoppage time, only to have it called back by a VAR ruling that she came off her line. The retake then sealed the tie. Ouch.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Think we can get her US citizenship before the (likely) France game?
Fortunately I think the US can beat France without her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fantastic Single effort goal in 90+5' gives Cameroon a 2-1 win over NZ. Puts them into knockout stage. Argentina out.

Netherlands beat Canada 2-1. The go ahead goal was a bit weak by the Canadian Goalie but the better team won.

Ertz not in the starting 11. Mewis in.

Sweden with a number of changes to starting 11. Perhaps ensuring a strategic loss to avoid a potential France confrontation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom